Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boosters

• 10-08-2016 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hi,

I've decided not to get my dog and cat booster injections this year. I've always thought it odd they needed an annual vaccine when we don't and that it was a bit of a scam and possibly bad for them but was too afraid not to get them done in case they really did need them! Money isn't the issue. I'd pay a fortune annually if it meant my pets were healthier for it.

After reading some articles I think there's a risk involved or at least it's unnecessary to get them done every year and once they've got them up to 2-3 years then from there, they should only need a booster every 3 years if ever.

So I"m just going to flea and worm treat them this year.

Am I nuts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

No you're not mad. I stopped boostering after doing a lot of reading for and against, and on balance I'm happy I made the right decision for my dogs. I didn't make the decision lightly, and like yourself it was never about money. Its not even recommended now to give yearly boosters anyway, its every 3 years. But I think many Irish Vets still push for yearly boosters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

No you're not nuts lol :) Possibly the vet is advising you to get lepto/kennel cough every year - people often assume the dog is getting the core ones every year as well? You can get a titre test done to show if the dog still has immunity from the core vaccinations which according to the manufactures need to be done every 3 years but in reality can last years. I've stopped getting the lepto one for my two this year for various reasons based on where they swim etc I don't flea or worm either btw because they don't have fleas or worms! Their worm counts are always clear.

At the end of the day it's a personal choice - you'll have people who work in vets telling you horror stories and the same from sources that are against vaccinating/have seen side effects. I'm lucky in that my vet lets ME make the final decision because she knows I've done the research and thought long and hard about it. She also knows well that I wouldn't leave them sick if they did manage to pick something up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

According to the protocols, the canine core vaccines now only need to be done every 3 years anyway, but lepto should still be done annually, unless you titre test.

If your dog is insured, check the policy, it may state that the policy is only valid if vaccinations are up to date. That doesn't mean annually, just in line with manufacturers protocols, but it does mean lepto is still annual.

Sorry, I don't know about the cat vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Kennel cough vaccines are required (to be kept up to date) if you put your dog in kennels (sigh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

maggiepip wrote: »
    No you're not mad. I stopped boostering after doing a lot of reading for and against, and on balance I'm happy I made the right decision for my dogs. I didn't make the decision lightly, and like yourself it was never about money. Its not even recommended now to give yearly boosters anyway, its every 3 years. But I think many Irish Vets still push for yearly boosters.

Do you not give the Lepto one annually either so?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Do you not give the Lepto one annually either so?

thanks

No I don't. I don't booster at all anymore. Again its a personal choice but its one that I'm happy with.

Eta: I've read also that the Lepto vaccine doesn't always cover for the entire year anyway , sometimes only 6 months. Its also one that can cause more reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

aonb wrote: »
    Kennel cough vaccines are required (to be kept up to date) if you put your dog in kennels (sigh)

Not necessarily, as its a live vaccine, there are some kennels that prefer if clients don't have it.
    maggiepip wrote: »
    Eta: I've read also that the Lepto vaccine doesn't always cover for the entire year anyway , sometimes only 6 months. Its also one that can cause more reactions.

AFAIK its the lepto4 that has apparently had adverse reactions, lepto2 has never had a bad reputation. But it all depends on what the risk is in the area in which you live, or your dog is going to be in. Because my dogs spend a lot of time in forests in various parts of Ireland and the UK, I choose to get the lepto4 vaccine. I've never had any issues. I discussed it at great length a few weeks ago with my vet, who I can honestly say have never pushed unnecessary vaccinations, it was her that told me the core vaccines only needed doing every 3 years before the manufacturers actually started giving out that information.

Advertisement