Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on belt drive

Options
  • 10-08-2016 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭

Wondering about something like this for a long commute:

https://www.canyon.com/en/bikes/bike-detail.html?b=3882

(Does not have to be a Canyon - it was just a quick bike to link)

Average day is 32km, but can go up over 50km. How would it be for hills up to 10/12% - my head was telling me these are for mainly flat terrain and not high mileage, but then I seen a Van Nicholas Rohloff tourer so that blew that thought!

Are any Boardies putting up lots of KM on a belt drive bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

I've been commuting on a single-speed with a Gates belt drive, c. 260km per week, for the last 16 months. Very happy with it, I'd like to try it with a three-speed hub at some stage, if I could find a reasonably light one. (see thread 'XACD custom titanium frames' on this forum for pictures).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What's the benefit of a belt over a chain?
    How do you fix it on the road if it breaks?

What's the benefit of a belt over a chain?
    * longevity (2x to 4x chain life)
    * low maintenance (no stretch, no need to lube)
    * weight
    * cleanliness
    * silent drive-train
    How do you fix it on the road if it breaks?
    Replace with spare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

boardbeer wrote: »
    Replace with spare.

You have to have a breakable frame though right? I remember looking at this years ago, and while the benefits are brilliant. I could not help but think that bar a tourer with S and S coupling. There is no bike I would be arsed having the breaks either put in, or buying because they had them, just to accomodate the belt.

I could be wrong about the need for a frame break though, that is my memory.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You have to have a breakable frame though right? I remember looking at this years ago, and while the benefits are brilliant. I could not help but think that bar a tourer with S and S coupling. There is no bike I would be arsed having the breaks either put in, or buying because they had them, just to accommodate the belt.
    I have seen one frame design that didn't need the rear triangle to be splittable, but yeah, generally you need a split on the RH seat-stray, or a drop-out that splits. I was having a Ti frame custom built, so that was not an issue.
    There's a good ride report on cyclingabout.com/review-gates-carbon-belt-drive-centertrack, where he rides 31,000k to Australia, and only has to replace the belt once, and that due to a faulty product, so belt replacement shouldn't be a frequent concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

boardbeer wrote: »
    I've been commuting on a single-speed with a Gates belt drive, c. 260km per week, for the last 16 months. Very happy with it, I'd like to try it with a three-speed hub at some stage, if I could find a reasonably light one. (see thread 'XACD custom titanium frames' on this forum for pictures).

Excellent. Weeks with no activity and then a wave of replies. I was thinking belt drive was officially a boardsies no no!! 😄

Having thought of a XACD ti frame before I am again thinking of one with s s coupler on the RH seat stay. How did you find working with Porter/XACD? He still emails me from time to time to see if I am still interested. Did you design your own frame or get one of their designs modified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Had a giant one, was decent but switched to a Sirrus carbon, huge difference, both were good bikes but the Sirrus is a joy to cycle every day to work, doing just under 27k each way. That canyon is nice. But looks near identical to the Giant i had, personally i would shell out more on a sirrus (if carbon) or a lower end Sirrus, trust me it will be far faster and comfortable

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Having thought of a XACD ti frame before I am again thinking of one with s s coupler on the RH seat stay. How did you find working with Porter/XACD? He still emails me from time to time to see if I am still interested. Did you design your own frame or get one of their designs modified?
    I got the frame built via Ceilo Rosso in the UK, and it wasn't XACD in the end: there's a full write-up here: spanner.org.uk/2015/10/roys-ti-fixie-commuter-from-cielo-rosso/
    (sorry, can't type 'h t t p : / / w w w .' at the start, until I've 40 posts under my belt, without going off the rails).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The Cube Travel that I got has a splittable rear triangle to remove the belt, although I haven't had to use it yet. I'm not sure about the practicality of carrying a spare belt though, those things look pretty heavy and awkward. I don't think I'd want one in my jersey pocket. Unless I was doing a cycling holiday I wouldn't even consider it.

I haven't had it long enough to judge how low maintenance and long lasting they are but they are certainly clean. After a couple of months riding around they city, in the rain quite a few times, I can still run my hand along the belt and come away clean. Try doing that with a chain. It is better for not catching the trouser leg too since there is only one ring on the front and the 'teeth' aren't sharp, however I did discover that a particularly flappy trouser leg can still get caught. No damage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I will have a read of that ..thanks. I don't think he is trading anymore - website is down. There is another company in China called Xi'an titanproduct. Maybe he used them.

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I will have a read of that ..thanks. I don't think he is trading anymore - website is down. There is another company in China called Xi'an titanproduct. Maybe he used them.
    It would be a real pity if he's out of business, because the service was great: I wouldn't have risked getting a custom build in China otherwise.
    Apparently he used these guys: waltlytitanium.com, Spanner.co.uk has a good overview of the various Ti framebuiders in China, but I've got to say, mine is top quality in every way, and I'd buy another in an instant.

Go this message:
    Due to ongoing family illness, Cielo Rosso Bikes Ltd ceased trading on 31st December 2015.

We would like to thank all of our customers for their support over the last few years.

Our titanium frame builders, Waltly Titanium Ltd will be more than happy to assist if you wish to have a custom titanium frame designed.

Titanium frame warranties are also provided by Waltly, so in the unlikely event that you have an issue with your frame, please contact Waltly Titanium Ltd.

Thanks again for your custom.

Advertisement