Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feral Cat - Dislocated Hip?

• 11-08-2016 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

There a bunch of feral cats in the area I am in now (South Kerry). They have been running around for years, but the last 2 or 3 years their numbers have thinned out.

As far as I can tell, there are now 2 cats and a young kitten around. The smaller of the two adults limped across the yard today, not putting any weight on her hind paw and when she saw me she hit the ground, as I approached her mewing changed to hisses. It looked like her hind leg was dislocated or broken, I couldn't see any wound.

I gave her a lump of meat for the night, but I know that won't keep her alive. There is no way I can get her to the vet. Is there anything that can be done for a poor creature in that state?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

blackdog2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

There a bunch of feral cats in the area I am in now (South Kerry). They have been running around for years, but the last 2 or 3 years their numbers have thinned out.

As far as I can tell, there are now 2 cats and a young kitten around. The smaller of the two adults limped across the yard today, not putting any weight on her hind paw and when she saw me she hit the ground, as I approached her mewing changed to hisses. It looked like her hind leg was dislocated or broken, I couldn't see any wound.

I gave her a lump of meat for the night, but I know that won't keep her alive. There is no way I can get her to the vet. Is there anything that can be done for a poor creature in that state?

You could try and trap her in order to get her to a vet. We had a feral cat that we used to leave food for and he had a foot problem that just seemed to get worse and worse. It looked like it had a puncture wound and he was always hobbling and holding it up but we couldn't get close enough to have a good look. Anyway we borrowed a trap from Cats Aid and trapped him and brought him to the vet. She sedated him through the bars of the cage so she could examine him. Turned out he needed surgery on his foot. One of his claws had grown inwards and up through the pad of his paw. She said he was in a lot of pain but he was right as rain after the surgery. It was a bit of effort on our part trying to borrow the trap and then trying to successfully trap him but I just couldn't look at him suffering and he was constantly around so to me it was worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Phone around local rescues in your area. They will hopefully be able to trap and get the cat to the vet. Neutering at the same time too hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

contact some of the TRAP NEUTER RETURN groups - get info here:

https://communitycatsnetwork.wordpress.com/contact-us/

Phone your local vet to ask what local rescues may help, they will know where the local TNR group is too

There is "Cat Rescue Kerry", KLAWS in Kenmare, The Tigger Trust - lots here,have a look:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/irelandm.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw57W9BRDM9_a-2vWJ68EBEiQAwPNFKyEByNmJON3JFGvz0wTPcNK40sbH1XF32FX0BA-DZTsaAgeM8P8HAQ

You are the only person that might even know that this poor cat is in trouble, please do your best to have him trapped and cared for

Advertisement