Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spark plugs

• 11-08-2016 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Ok so this may be a dumb question, but oh well. Can someone tell me if spark plugs are generic or specific to the model of the car. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There might be 5-10 plugs that would be suitable for your car from different manufacturers. If you put the reg in to Micksgarage.com it will give you a listing of suitable plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how often should they be changed, do they really make a difference to performance in modern cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mick's prices are mad. I got 4 NGK iridium plugs on eBay UK for less than €30 incl. delivery.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

fryup wrote: »
    how often should they be changed, do they really make a difference to performance in modern cars?

Every 20-50K miles in a 4-stroke engine depending on engine and plug spec., or earlier if necessary.

Of course they make a difference - they ignite the fuel/air mixture which powers the engine.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

As above - also, check your own car's manual/manufacturer for replacement times.
    A lot of people would do plugs every second service, if you keep up with servicing every 10 to 15k miles that should do it.

Spark plugs have a difficult job in the top of the cylinder, as the previous poster said, to ignite your fuel/air mixture and send the piston back down on its merry way. Over the miles, the ignition part of the spark plug gets dirty and probably even wears a little bit. So the performance of the spark plugs and hence the engine degrades. For continuing performance of your engine it is vital that the plugs be changed regularly. Also - the condition of the plugs when removed can indicate other issues with the engine. So yeah, they do make a difference! ;)

• Advertisement

how about those expensive Platinum spark plugs...they never need to be replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

mrty wrote: »
    Ok so this may be a dumb question, but oh well. Can someone tell me if spark plugs are generic or specific to the model of the car. Many thanks.
    It depends. But no, don't think of them as generic and that any spark plug will work in any car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you leave them go too long and the spark gap increases because the electrode and cathode erode away, the amount of resistance to spark increases the load massively on the coils and can cause coil failure which is expensive to fix.
    Precious metal plugs last longer but still need to be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

how about those expensive Platinum spark plugs...they never need to be replaced?

60K mile intervals on my BMW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

90,000Km intervals on my 1.4 TSI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 chatterbox2601

Is it normal for the ignition coil to fail two days after new spark plugs are put into the car? Apparently the car had the wrong spark plugs in and during a service the "right" ones were put in. However, now I've to pay €140 for a new coil as the engine light came on and she is sluggish.

M

Is it normal for the ignition coil to fail two days after new spark plugs are put into the car? Apparently the car had the wrong spark plugs in and during a service the "right" ones were put in. However, now I've to pay €140 for a new coil as the engine light came on and she is sluggish.

Yes the wrong plugs would put strain on the coil pack, also if the plugs had not been changed when they should have been that would also have put strain on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

It depends on the car and how you drive it too.

Personally speaking i've always changed the plugs every 20k in any performance car i've had. My Bora would eat through a set of plugs in around 5-10k even with plugs of a higher heat range than factory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

so whats the best make of spark plug? or is there any difference?

See my previous post in this very thread

There is no "best make"
    There is "what make to use for your car"

If you want to know what plugs for your specific car please post model and year

M

philstar wrote: »
    so whats the best make of spark plug? or is there any difference?

NGK, Denso, Bosch and Champion would be the most well known and used, they will normally have a model of plugs for every make of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Metalrobe

tossy wrote: »
    It depends on the car and how you drive it too.

Personally speaking i've always changed the plugs every 20k in any performance car i've had. My Bora would eat through a set of plugs in around 5-10k even with plugs of a higher heat range than factory.

haha! Are you classing a bora as a performance car???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Metalrobe wrote: »

He didnt say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Metalrobe wrote: »

Haha??

The v5 & v6 ones would probably fall under the moniker, hell even a 1.8t !

They're not all teediddledyeye you know!

Back on topic please, spark plugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I've been trying out different heat ranges lately,

Car had denso pk20 (heat range 6) plugs when I got it, they had it idling a but lumpy.

I then changed to a set of NGK bkr7e - slightly cooler at heat range 7, ran very well on these, started quicker and idled smoother. But alas I fecked up messing about tinkering and ruined one,

so now I'm using some NGK bkr6e (heat range 6) , and to be honest the 7 was a lot more suited to my engine (toyota 3sgte) I might try some 8's next for the craic as my turbo is boosting more than standard but may be overkill.

in performance engines they really make a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

There are certain French cars that I would be very fussy about as regards spark plugs and a certain (very good quality) make of spark plug that I would never fit in them.

A fried ecu would not be unheard of due to unsuitable spark plugs.

dieselbug wrote: »
    There are certain French cars that I would be very fussy about as regards spark plugs and a certain (very good quality) make of spark plug that I would never fit in them.

go on please tell ????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

has anyone used these types, any better than the regular ones??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

do they really make a difference to performance in modern cars?
    I bought some for my current car (2009 BMW) and they were a waste of money.
    It being a diesel would obviously not help.

M

philstar wrote: »
    has anyone used these types, any better than the regular ones??

I wouldn't bother, either use a normal plug or if your going to shell out get Iridium plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

For some strange reason VW decided to put platinum spark plugs in a 1.4l Polo (NGK PZFR5D-11). Can't really argue as the original plugs lasted for 95k miles so while they were more expensive you get the value out of them. Replaced with same even though several mechanics said it was stupid to put expensive plugs into an old car. Micks Garage last time I looked only listed cheaper plugs for the car and not the platinum ones.

Advertisement