Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help stretching

• 11-08-2016 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Office worker, and I have all the issues of tight hips/hamstrings etc. I am trying to stretch and I can feel some benefit but I am finding the actually stretches very difficult and hard to maintain.
    Can anyone recommend some way/type of stretching for a total newbie, with very limited flexibility ? Perhaps some piece of equipment would help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

google "mobility wod" or "mwod" + whatever bodypart ails you.

Should get several good videos from a guy called Kelly Starrett - he knows his stuff. Basic equipment that you'd need would be a ball of some sorts, a elastic band (rough size of a tennis ball) or a foam roller if you have one to hand.

The couch stretch is unreal for your hip flexor. (skip to 2:00 for it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Limber 11 is yer only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Check out www.romwod.com they have a 7 day free trial and if ya like it you can subscribe for a small monthly fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Limber 11 is yer only man

This^^^^^
    I started this about a month ago.I do this three times per day,once in the morning when I get up and before and after excercise.
    I was literally like a board beforehand.Slowly but surely I started to loosen up.

The trick is to do it EVERY day.I even brought the foam roller and hockey ball on holidays for the week.

The difference in workouts is huge.Running especially became easier as did everyday tasks.

Just keep at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Check out www.romwod.com they have a 7 day free trial and if ya like it you can subscribe for a small monthly fee.
    There's no need to pay for this kind of stuff.
    Not sure what the benefit could me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Agree with Stratowide consistency and patience is key. One other piece of advise is breathing I have seen huge improvement in my mobility with breathing drills. Not sure of the exact science but was shown some breathing drills improvements have been huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Mellor wrote: »
    There's no need to pay for this kind of stuff.
    Not sure what the benefit could me.
    ^^^ totally agree, keep in mind that mobility AND stability is required so make sure you're working both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭kal7

maybe have a look at PNF stretching, it is a style of stretching that is more complicated but can be be very good for stubborn areas like hamstrings. Used by physios and osteopaths who would coach/talk through/assist the PNF stretch with clients.

agree with the consistency, stability and breathing comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

+1 for Mobility WOD and Kelly Starrett.

I haven't seen the Limber 11 video but I will try it out. Looks good.

+1 for Mobility WOD and Kelly Starrett.

I haven't seen the Limber 11 video but I will try it out. Looks good.
    Limber 11 is a warm-up mobility routine
    Mobility WOD is more like maintenance

Achieving extreme flexibility, will require a different approach again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mellor wrote: »
    Achieving extreme flexibility, will require a different approach again.

That'd require something on the order of a miracle in my case :pac:

That'd require something on the order of a miracle in my case :pac:

Probably not a miracle. Just a ridiculous amount of work and a shtload of pain

Advertisement