Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Varik wrote: »
    neither of the ones I found are it then (samsung & hgst), just going to put the the hgst as it's less branded (maybe they won't check if it's coming up as 500GB).

HGST

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That's a bit rich from GameStop if they won't take console's with the original HD, you officially don't void a warranty by changing a HD out...

I was going to leave my 1TB SSHD in there for the next person to buy my PS but may aswell take it out now and put it in my "pro"...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

R.F. wrote: »
    HGST

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

:)

Check it and it said WD subsidiary, had Hitachi drives before and they were always very clearly branded as Hitachi.

Probably should have gone onto the wiki entry rather than reading the blurb google gave me. Didn't know they'd bought Hitachi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Just wondering is there many people getting the PS4 pro? I have neither the PS4 or the Xbox one and I'm torn as to which new one to buy. I'd mostly be using it for skygo/Netflix or other TVs stuff. Also want to get cod 4 remastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Tilikum wrote: »
    Just wondering is there many people getting the PS4 pro? I have neither the PS4 or the Xbox one and I'm torn as to which new one to buy. I'd mostly be using it for skygo/Netflix or other TVs stuff. Also want to get cod 4 remastered.

As a neutral as I have both consoles for me at the moment Xbox looks to be the better value. If all you want it for is the above then definitely go with the xbox one s, think you can get for £199 on tesco direct via parcel motel at the moment or £224 on amazon shipped to Ireland.
    If most of your friends are on PS4 or maybe your interested in VR then probably a PS Slim or Pro will be your better option.

Tesco http://www.tesco.com/direct/fifa-17-500gb-xbox-one-s-console-bundle/581-8614.prd?skuId=581-8614

Use Code: TDX-HTNK to get it for £199

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-One-FIFA-Bundle-500GB/dp/B01KI13K0W/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1474529183&sr=1-3&keywords=xbox+one+s

• Advertisement

Oh and I will be buying the PS Pro, I have an awful addiction to the latest consoles! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yip. Will be getting rid of my Xbox one and PS4. Don't think I'll be getting the PSVR now either and I'll probably wait to see what the Scorpio brings in that regard.

I'm not sure I'd bother with the Pro if gaming is a secondary concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, stick with the slim if if's just going to be a netflix/sky go box.

For gamers though, there is an interesting video from Digital Foundry. Basically, throwing down an extra $100 for the Pro is a no brainer.

I really think I'm gonna go with the pro. Simply for longevity. I see so many people complaining about not having the 4K blue ray player included. Could that be added with an update? It's just been realised I'm sure they'll make changes as time goes on. Look how much the Xbox one has changed since release.

I really think I'm gonna go with the pro. Simply for longevity. I see so many people complaining about not having the 4K blue ray player included. Could that be added with an update? It's just been realised I'm sure they'll make changes as time goes on. Look how much the Xbox one has changed since release.

Don't think 4k bluray can be added via firmware, The bluray drive in the pro is not capable of playing 4k blurays. You will get streaming 4k netflix and you tube from the pro though so yes woth the extra €100 in my opinion

• Advertisement

Don't think 4k bluray can be added via firmware, The bluray drive in the pro is not capable of playing 4k blurays. You will get streaming 4k netflix and you tube from the pro though so yes woth the extra €100 in my opinion

http://www.psu.com/news/31155/PS4-Pro-4k-Blu-ray-update-could-be-added-in-the-future

Sony have already stated that the disc drive in the PS Pro is the exact same as the one in the PS4, I would take that article with a massive pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I doubt that is true we shall see on the first tear downs on the pro but I'd say it's a standard bluray drive in it and I would say we will see a pro plus version release next year around the launch of Scorpio which will have the ultra bluray drive in it.
    One interesting aspect of the new slim and pro is the controller and the option to connect wired via USB this is good news for fps players as it means less input lag vs the current Bluetooth option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

I don't buy this can be added via firmware later on. If they have a 4k bluray drive in the Ps4 pro would they not be singing it from the rooftops? I don't buy the argument about them not wanting to take from their standalone player sales next year. 4k bluray's are going to be a niche market. It just doesn't add up that they'd "sneak" one into the ps4 pro and add functionality via firmware down the line after their dedicated player launched

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

As a neutral as I have both consoles for me at the moment Xbox looks to be the better value. If all you want it for is the above then definitely go with the xbox one s, think you can get for £199 on tesco direct via parcel motel at the moment or £224 on amazon shipped to Ireland.
    If most of your friends are on PS4 or maybe your interested in VR then probably a PS Slim or Pro will be your better option.

Tesco http://www.tesco.com/direct/fifa-17-500gb-xbox-one-s-console-bundle/581-8614.prd?skuId=581-8614

Use Code: TDX-HTNK to get it for £199

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-One-FIFA-Bundle-500GB/dp/B01KI13K0W/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1474529183&sr=1-3&keywords=xbox+one+s

When ordering from Tesco Direct it looks for a UK number. What do we enter there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Ya, stick with the slim if if's just going to be a netflix/sky go box.

For gamers though, there is an interesting video from Digital Foundry. Basically, throwing down an extra $100 for the Pro is a no brainer.

I found that video to be a bit more of a paid advertisement than the usual videos from Digital Foundry. Probably paid for by Sony. Richard seemed to run away with himself promoting the console saying we should buy it based off stills and videos for games that have not even been released yet. He is almost trying to pass the console has a 4K native gaming device.

Where he is right is the €100 price difference but after that he goes Sony gaga :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I found that video to be a bit more of a paid advertisement than the usual videos from Digital Foundry. Probably paid for by Sony. Richard seemed to run away with himself promoting the console saying we should buy it based off stills and videos for games that have not even been released yet. He is almost trying to pass the console has a 4K native gaming device.

Where he is right is the €100 price difference but after that he goes Sony gaga :D

Will you ever **** off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: FAILSAFE, enough. Your relentless negativity and trolling are apparent for all to see, and it is long past being tired. Lord knows the PlayStation 4 isn't above criticism - it's just a games console, after all - and we welcome reasonable criticism. You've gone well beyond reasonable, and any more of your silly carry on will result in a ban from this forum as you appear to have nothing constructive to add.

Everybody else, be respectful. If you have a problem with a post or poster, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think him (being mainly a PC gamer) who has seen the Pro running with his own two eyes at the show in NYC (on 65" 4K Sony TVs) said he was very impressed with what he saw - for a 400 quid machine, nothing more, did you see the video of his initial impressions?

The way it stand's, both machines were vastly underpowered at launch, my PC I built 2 years ago will still be more powerful than both, and that's including when the Scorpio eventually does come out...

I'll be getting the Pro and the Scorpio as I'm more of a console gamer than a PC gamer personally...

Now hold on and I'll run off to the Xbox thread and troll them until the Scorpio comes out....

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Any tips on good preorder deals for the Pro?

The prices seem to be the same but are there bundles out there at all for this? Something with decent recent/new games added to the basic package?

• Advertisement

snowblind wrote: »
    Any tips on good preorder deals for the Pro?

The prices seem to be the same but are there bundles out there at all for this? Something with decent recent/new games added to the basic package?

You will get bundles closer to launch, Hopefully Amazon and Tesco will end up competing again like they did with the xbox one s. I imagine a call of duty bundle will be inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

You will get bundles closer to launch, Hopefully Amazon and Tesco will end up competing again like they did with the xbox one s. I imagine a call of duty bundle will be inevitable
    Makes sense. I'll try to delay my preordering until a later date, not for COD but hopefully some games I care about :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I have the Pro preordered with GS but think i'll not bother going through with it now. HDR seems to be the best thing about it but cannot justify spending that sort of money on a new tv.

I have the Pro preordered with GS but think i'll not bother going through with it now. HDR seems to be the best thing about it but cannot justify spending that sort of money on a new tv.

I've not seen HDR in action as my 4k tv doesn't have hdr, but 4k netflix looks so good and I would imagine 4k games especially native 4k will look very nice indeed.

I wouldn't get to caught up in the HDR element, I see other good reasons to upgrade, new 12 month warranty, new controller even if its not much of a change, 1tb hard drive, 1080p remote play (massive plus for me as I use this feature alot), and if your getting VR then you know you will be getting the most from your new VR headset.

Sold my old 500gb ps4 for €200 so basically just need to pay the difference, and for me the above extras seem worth it

I've not seen HDR in action as my 4k tv doesn't have hdr, but 4k netflix looks so good and I would imagine 4k games especially native 4k will look very nice indeed.

I wouldn't get to caught up in the HDR element, I see other good reasons to upgrade, new 12 month warranty, new controller even if its not much of a change, 1tb hard drive, 1080p remote play (massive plus for me as I use this feature alot), and if your getting VR then you know you will be getting the most from your new VR headset.

Sold my old 500gb ps4 for €200 so basically just need to pay the difference, and for me the above extras seem worth it

I only bought the newer model PS4 about 6 months ago(the quiet more power efficient one) so i think that will do until either the Scorpio or next gen consoles. I was under the impression that the HDR side of things was more of an impact then the 4K thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

. I was under the impression that the HDR side of things was more of an impact then the 4K thing.

It is, HDR is the game changer and main selling point when it comes to 4K. HDR alone adds more to the visuals than purely just going from 1080 to 4K.

It is, HDR is the game changer and main selling point when it comes to 4K. HDR alone adds more to the visuals than purely just going from 1080 to 4K.

It's a pity HDR is only available on the top of the range models. Way too pricey for me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

It's a pity HDR is only available on the top of the range models. Way too pricey for me unfortunately.

I'm in a funny position in relation to the pro as well. I spent a lot of money on my plasma 3 years ago and its an amazing tv but its obviously 1080p. I had thought the (Neo) pro would go the route of 1080p/60 so thought I would be sorted no matter what happened. There's no way I'm buying a new 4k HDR tv for the next few years so I'm kind of torn on the pro.

I agree with what others have said here the 4k upscaling is of no interest to me but HDR looks like the real update. Kind of cuts out the majority of people with 1080p TV's. Am I right in saying that HDR cant be enable on any 1080p tvs at present?

jones wrote: »
    I'm in a funny position in relation to the pro as well. I spent a lot of money on my plasma 3 years ago and its an amazing tv but its obviously 1080p. I had thought the (Neo) pro would go the route of 1080p/60 so thought I would be sorted no matter what happened. There's no way I'm buying a new 4k HDR tv for the next few years so I'm kind of torn on the pro.

I agree with what others have said here the 4k upscaling is of no interest to me but HDR looks like the real update. Kind of cuts out the majority of people with 1080p TV's. Am I right in saying that HDR cant be enable on any 1080p tvs at present?

I think it can only be achieved on 4K tv's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Actually they are not all that pricey, a lot of 4K models that were released in the last 18 months that did not have HDR are now getting or have gotten HDR firmware patches and you can find some good deals on Amazon on them, also Hisense are selling new models quite reasonably.

Advertisement