Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Xenji wrote: »
    Actually they are not all that pricey, a lot of 4K models that were released in the last 18 months that did not have HDR are now getting or have gotten HDR firmware patches and you can find some good deals on Amazon on them, also Hisense are selling new models quite reasonably.

Yea, just had a bit of a look about. There's a few that are priced at a decent price. Unfortunately my tv isn't that old so i couldn't replace it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hard to find good gaming TVs with HDR, most require you to disable it or it is disabled in their gaming low lag modes.

Changing to a HDR mode could up the lag to over 100ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It's a real catch 22 situation for me I have a noisy launch model I have a 50" top of the range Plasma Tv I am not going to be upgrading anytime soon. So was going to buy a slim but we don't have an optical out for my astros. I've tried a couple of work around a via my ampand optical out from tv to the Astros but it doesn't pass through the surround signal. That leaves me with just to stick with the launch and see what Sony do when the Scorpio launches or buy a CH1216A chassis before it sells out. I do think from the size of it the Pro obviously has to be that size for the cooler and I would suspect it's going to be a noisy beast in its first revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

It's a real catch 22 situation for me I have a noisy launch model I have a 50" top of the range Plasma Tv I am not going to be upgrading anytime soon. So was going to buy a slim but we don't have an optical out for my astros. I've tried a couple of work around a via my ampand optical out from tv to the Astros but it doesn't pass through the surround signal. That leaves me with just to stick with the launch and see what Sony do when the Scorpio launches or buy a CH1216A chassis before it sells out. I do think from the size of it the Pro obviously has to be that size for the cooler and I would suspect it's going to be a noisy beast in its first revision.

I'm in the exact same position top of the range plasma owner here too (spent almost 3k on it) and there's no way I could justify getting a new tv. I'm leaning towards waiting for the Scorpio and the inevitable PS5 but I'd love to get the Pro...decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Looks like most TV's input lag is tested on 1080p and 4K + HDR are likely to give different results.

Think I'll stick with my Sony 1080p, I'll probably still go for the pro and upgrade the TV at a later date when we know better about the performance of different TV's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm going with the pro and hoping for performance gains on my 1080 tv.
    Don't want to go 4K as it will mean having to get a new AV amp and re-route the new HDMI 2.0 cable up behind my wall.

I'm going with the pro and hoping for performance gains on my 1080 tv.
    Don't want to go 4K as it will mean having to get a new AV amp and re-route the new HDMI 2.0 cable up behind my wall.

The key word here is "hope" for performance gains. As I said above I'm in the same boat as regards tv and amp which would be a major upgrade for me. I think i'll wait and see if there are performance gains in 1080p that justify the pro purchase*

*who am I kidding i'll probably be queuing up the day its released cash in hand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

jones wrote: »
    The key word here is "hope" for performance gains. As I said above I'm in the same boat as regards tv and amp which would be a major upgrade for me. I think i'll wait and see if there are performance gains in 1080p that justify the pro purchase*

*who am I kidding i'll probably be queuing up the day its released cash in hand :pac:

The way I see it, if a game is designed for 30fps or 60fps and gets occasional drops when things get crazy, the Pro should do a lot better job of keeping at the desired frame rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might hold off on the 4K tv but at worst most HD games will either be full 1080 and possibly utilise super-sampling.

I'm going to bite the bullet and go through with my preorder. Was in two minds about cancelling it but i'm just hoping that we'll see higher and more constant frame rates in games. I'm not going to go down the 4K HDR route just yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I recently had to buy a new tv for the sitting room and got this
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201902-bravia-kd55xd8599.aspx

but I display my ps4 via a Denon AVR-X2000 receiver .

Would I have to connect directly to the tv with the pro (rather than the receiver) to avail of the HDR?

Uriel. wrote: »
    I recently had to buy a new tv for the sitting room and got this
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201902-bravia-kd55xd8599.aspx

but I display my ps4 via a Denon AVR-X2000 receiver .

Would I have to connect directly to the tv with the pro (rather than the receiver) to avail of the HDR?

I think you should be ok that receiver should have HDMI 2.0 AFAIK so you could run the pro through receiver and into the tv.

My Onkyo 818 receiver however does not have HDMI 2.0 :( (then again neither does my tv haha)

Anyone else decided to take the plunge? Not long to go. The buzz has died down it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm not bothered being honest, and I'm playing more games now than I've had in years.

I don't feel I've got my value out of my PS4 or Xbox One yet and I think It's best to leave the dust settle with all this console hardware updates from both Sony and MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I've got mine all paid off and ready to go.

I've got mine all paid off and ready to go.

Hopefully there's no duds among the first batch. Looking forward to nabbing mine. Just need to trade in my old launch console and pay the rest.

Is there any decent trade in deals at Gamestop I have a 1Tb PS4 I might consider trading it in if there was a decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Is there any decent trade in deals at Gamestop I have a 1Tb PS4 I might consider trading it in if there was a decent deal.

We don't know yet, but apparently they'll be offering 185/95 for a PS4 500gb in exchange for a PS4 pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I got 200 euro for my ps4 selling privately, gamestop will rip you off and then sell you console for a much higher premium, you would probably even get better value in CEX

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I got 200 euro for my ps4 selling privately, gamestop will rip you off and then sell you console for a much higher premium, you would probably even get better value in CEX

GS are giving trade in of €195 on a 500GB against a 500GB slim at the moment. CEX aren't offering that.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    GS are giving trade in of €195 on a 500GB against a 500GB slim at the moment. CEX aren't offering that.

Seems a pretty good deal. Is that advertised anywhere, not like GameStop to be competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I wouldnt trade normal PS4 for a slim,might aswell get the pro if your gonna upgrade.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seems a pretty good deal. Is that advertised anywhere, not like GameStop to be competitive

I had to ask in-store. They looked up their vast mountain of paperwork, and found the deal. €105 for the 500GB and €155 for the 1TB. Too good a deal to pass up, would have been even better if I hadn't bought a replacement controller 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

whiterebel wrote: »
    I had to ask in-store. They looked up their vast mountain of paperwork, and found the deal. €105 for the 500GB and €155 for the 1TB. Too good a deal to pass up, would have been even better if I hadn't bought a replacement controller 2 months ago.

What's the advantage of the slim. It looks awful. The pro looks poor enough, but the new slim is just nasty when you compare it to the launch console.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What's the advantage of the slim. It looks awful. .

Zero, it's just design refresh on the existing console. Runs a bit cooler, quieter and draws a bit less power. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Zero, it's just design refresh on the existing console. Runs a bit cooler, quieter and draws a bit less power. That's it.

I don't understand how'd you opt for that over a Pro (or at all) given the small price jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I don't understand how'd you opt for that over a Pro (or at all) given the small price jump.

Exactly, if find it makes no sense not to get the Pro model with the price structure as it stands.

Exactly, if find it makes no sense not to get the Pro model with the price structure as it stands.

Young lad looking for his own PS4 for chrimbo, has a 1080p tv in his room no need for a pro, should be able to get a slim plus a few games for about 100 euro less then the pro, in that regards makes plenty sense.

A lot quieter. I don't know if it was dust, or age, but the phat PS4 was howling like a 747 with games on disk.. Much, much less noise now.
    They weren't offering this deal on the Pro either, and as I'm not getting the VR or a 4K TV, didn't see much need for it.

• Advertisement

Just be aware the Slim is missing the optical out as well which rules out a lot of headsets some amplifiers etc.

Advertisement