Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Some people don't need a pro, or care about the refinements, so a good slim deal is better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Some people don't need a pro, or care about the refinements, so a good slim deal is better for them.

But there's only €50 in the difference between a 1tb Slim and a 1tb Pro. Future proof for €50 if you ever get a 4K TV later on or PSVR. If you don't care about HDD size or 4K then the 500gb slim is fine. Have to keep in mind that the new CoD is around 90gb installed with CoD4 remastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

But there's only €50 in the difference between a 1tb Slim and a 1tb Pro. Future proof for €50 if you ever get a 4K TV later on or PSVR. If you don't care about HDD size or 4K then the 500gb slim is fine. Have to keep in mind that the new CoD is around 90gb installed with CoD4 remastered.

Even at 1080 it's still better for only €50.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its €100 between the 500Gb slim and the 1TB Pro, and they weren't offering a deal on my one versus the Pro. I think it would have cost me €150 to change to a Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well for me its about value. The pro is more expensive but even at possibly €100 more its definitely better value. I mean your doubling the size of the gpu for €100.

Also no games run of the disk anymore,the disk after the first install is just there for authentication. Games run from the hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its €100 between the 500Gb slim and the 1TB Pro, and they weren't offering a deal on my one versus the Pro. I think it would have cost me €150 to change to a Pro.

150 euro gets you a machine that's twice as powerful. I just don't understand why you'd pay almost that for the benefit of a system thats quieter. As for 4K... I bought a high end Sony television thats superb for gaming less than two years ago and I've no intention of replacing it. I'm guessing that most developers will use the extra power for detail, frame rates rather than resolution. That and PSVR should really benefit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

150 euro gets you a machine that's twice as powerful. I just don't understand why you'd pay almost that for the benefit of a system thats quieter. As for 4K... I bought a high end Sony television thats superb for gaming less than two years ago and I've no intention of replacing it. I'm guessing that most developers will use the extra power for detail, frame rates rather than resolution. That and PSVR should really benefit.

The old pS4 sounded like it was trouble with the noise. I don't think you get how noisy it had become. Not interested in VR or 4K. Deal was good for me, I'm happy.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well for me its about value. The pro is more expensive but even at possibly €100 more its definitely better value. I mean your doubling the size of the gpu for €100.

Also no games run of the disk anymore,the disk after the first install is just there for authentication. Games run from the hard drive.

Well then the fans were sounding like jet engines. Strange it only happened playing games with disks in the machine, not digital downloads. Either way, not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Below is a NeoGAF thread stating that the Pro will use a SATA 3 interface for the HDD.
    This could increase the data transfer if you've got a SSHD or SSD over the current model PS4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1293548

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

The more I see of the PS4 pro the more I realise 4K is chief and primary concern, with 1080p being an afterthought.

I was hoping it would focus on making 1080p games look great, but with ~3 different resolutions and graphical settings, developers probably won't be optimising all 3 and will focus most on getting the base looking good and then 4K.

I may cancel my preorder because I don't have a 4K TV and haven't been lured by the minimal full HD upgrades TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

1080p at 60fps is the primary concern as the current PS4 can only do that for some games. The 4K is just upscaling. It will be the PS5 or whatever along with Scorpio for true 4K to start. HDR is the biggest lure than 4K tbh.

Actually it just struck me - my maths is wrong.
    €105 to trade up to slim because they were giving an extra €50 on trade in.
    No deal on the old one against €400 Pro would mean a trade in value of €150 against a Pro, leaving me €250 to upgrade.

Actually it just struck me - my maths is wrong.
    €105 to trade up to slim because they were giving an extra €50 on trade in.
    No deal on the old one against €400 Pro would mean a trade in value of €150 against a Pro, leaving me €250 to upgrade.

Yes there is. Its 195 trade in value for an old 500gb against a pro.

Yes there is. Its 195 trade in value for an old 500gb against a pro.

The joys of Gamestop. He told me categorically there wasn't a deal on the old 500GB, only the 1TB. Mind you, the amount of paperwork they had to wade through to find the deals....You would swear they hadn't a computer....

The joys of Gamestop. He told me categorically there wasn't a deal on the old 500GB, only the 1TB. Mind you, the amount of paperwork they had to wade through to find the deals....You would swear they hadn't a computer....

They told me on Tuesday it would be 195 for the 500gb. It's possible Gamestop just gets worse and worse and so each shop tells us all something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I got 195 credit for my 500gb in Gamestop earlier this week. Very happy with this price as I doubt I'd get much more on the second hand market. Was a bit nervous this deal would end soon as more and more people availed of it.

Have lots of unplayed PS3 plus games to keep me busy while I wait for the pro reviews to hit. If the pro is loud I will get a slim instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

In their defence,the companies policies makes any leaway on a deal a nightmare to do for the staff.. I wouldnt take it out on the lads working in the shop..

(and no,i dont work for them,i used to work for Game about 15years ago and it was a nightmare of paperwork and barcode scanning Orwell would be proud of)

bigphil2 wrote: »
    In their defence,the companies policies makes any leaway on a deal a nightmare to do for the staff.. I wouldnt take it out on the lads working in the shop..

(and no,i dont work for them,i used to work for Game about 15years ago and it was a nightmare of paperwork and barcode scanning Orwell would be proud of)

I wasn't looking for leeway, I was asking what the deal was. First guy told me that I could get FIFA for €20 with the trade-in. Turns out I couldn't.....Now it turns out they would give the trade-in on the Pro, whereas I was told they wouldn't. Disorganised or clueless? probably both, TBH. I'm glad I don't go in there too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

If PRO can run same games much quieter I'd go 100% for it, I'm so tired of this noise, playing Witcher 3 is unbearable without headset, such a great game and whole experience ruined by the noise coming out out of it.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    If PRO can run same games much quieter I'd go 100% for it, I'm so tired of this noise, playing Witcher 3 is unbearable without headset, such a great game and whole experience ruined by the noise coming out out of it.

The slim is already quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Terminator wrote: »
    I got 195 credit for my 500gb in Gamestop earlier this week. Very happy with this price as I doubt I'd get much more on the second hand market. Was a bit nervous this deal would end soon as more and more people availed of it.

Have lots of unplayed PS3 plus games to keep me busy while I wait for the pro reviews to hit. If the pro is loud I will get a slim instead.

The Slim is only €199 on Amazon.de at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/sony-55-led-tv-kd55x9005cbu.html

I think this is the TV I'm going to upgrade to. I'm hoping for a further reduction on Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

weiland79 wrote: »
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/sony-55-led-tv-kd55x9005cbu.html

I think this is the TV I'm going to upgrade to. I'm hoping for a further reduction on Black Friday.

I'd recommend buying a set with HDR, even though the picture will be great on that it won't get the most out of the pro since it doesn't feature HDR.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'd recommend buying a set with HDR, even though the picture will be great on that it won't get the most out of the pro since it doesn't feature HDR.

So more like this?

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/sony-bravia-55-4k-led-tv-kd55xd9305bu.html

Dammit there'll really have to be a reduction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

So more like this?

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/sony-bravia-55-4k-led-tv-kd55xd9305bu.html

Unless you really need a new tv, I'd recommend you wait year or two before you invest. You'll get HDR on most new models then and any potential 4K input lag will hopefully be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So more like this?

Along those lines anyway, I've never spent more than €700 on a telly though so when it comes to the higher end models like the ones you're looking at, I'm probably the wrong man to speak to about it.

Are you dead set on a Bravia? There's some great Samsung models around these days too, and I've always felt you get a bit more value for money from them over Sony, no matter what your price range.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Along those lines anyway, I've never spent more than €700 on a telly though so when it comes to the higher end models like the ones you're looking at, I'm probably the wrong man to speak to about it.

Are you dead set on a Bravia? There's some great Samsung models around these days too, and I've always felt you get a bit more value for money from them over Sony, no matter what your price range.

No not at all. I have allowed myself a budget of 1500 . I want something nice to use with the pro otherwise what's the point. Samsung Sony LG doesn't matter to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

The Samsung KS7000 stands out. 49" = €1389, 55" = €1599

I'd be getting this only for the stand is too wide for my setup.
    I'm holding out for the ks8000 to drop a little more.

5 year warranty in Currys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I wouldn't know where to start with tvs these days! Was always big fan of plasma still very much enjoying one of the last ones Panasonic made.

I am interested in the pro though and hopefully I don't have to change my TV anytime soon as it's last thing I can afford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

just bought a Samsung 4k in April..unfortunately it doesn't seem to have HDR it does however have this feature called UHD Colour on Hdmi 1 and after switching my PS4 form that slot to hdmi 2 ,it makes a hell of a difference with how the games look in a colour depth sense..
    But i do wish i had waitied for a proper HDR set

Advertisement