Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Tesco dropped the price of the Pro this morning in the UK to £299 so I jumped on it.

CvMjxNuWYAALL8f.jpg

It's already back up to £332.49. Hopefully, they honour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

^^ how long will delivery take ? Are you going through the north with delivery ?

^^ how long will delivery take ? Are you going through the north with delivery ?

Live in London. Should only take a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Otacon wrote: »
    Live in London. Should only take a day or two.

Do they charge straight away or on dispatch?

Do they charge straight away or on dispatch?

Straight away apparently. Just waiting for it to appear on my banking app to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Already price back up and sold out.... Great catch there.

Taltos wrote: »
    Already price back up and sold out.... Great catch there.

Yeah, saw a tweet from PostABargain and pounced on it before I left for work. By the time I got to work, it had already gone up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

someone on HUKD said they bought at £299 but when they checked their account £335 was charged, so defo check your online banking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Eurogamer have their first comparison video between PS4 & the Pro
    Supersampling for 1080p confirmed!!!

Mantis Burn Racing:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Eurogamer have their first comparison video between PS4 & the Pro
    Supersampling for 1080p confirmed!!!

Mantis Burn Racing:

They need to analyse a better game. That looks like a game from 2006.

I look forward to seeing something more relevant like a Battlefield 1 analysis.

• Advertisement

They need to analyse a better game. That looks like a game from 2006.

I look forward to seeing something more relevant like a Battlefield 1 analysis.

BF1 is not a native 4K game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

BF1 is not a native 4K game though.

Current systems aren't even 1080p native, only have it at 720p on Xbox and 900p PS4.

Varik wrote: »
    Current systems aren't even 1080p native, only have it at 720p on Xbox and 900p PS4.

Did I say they were? I posted the video from Eurogamer as it's the first comparison of a 4K NATIVE game running on the Pro and the same game running at 1080p on vanilla.

There are drops in the Pro running at 4K. Makes me glad I'm not upgrading my TV anytime soon.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the supersampled 1080 image though, especially if it's going to be done for all other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Did I say they were? I posted the video from Eurogamer as it's the first comparison of a 4K NATIVE game running on the Pro and the same game running at 1080p on vanilla.

There are drops in the Pro running at 4K. Makes me glad I'm not upgrading my TV anytime soon.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the supersampled 1080 image though, especially if it's going to be done for all other games.

How and if it changes gaming on a full hd tv is what im really looking forward to seeing.

I reckon this would be a major selling point for a lot of potential customers who already have a perfect working ps4 and dont want or need to upgrade to 4k yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Penn

How and if it changes gaming on a full hd tv is what im really looking forward to seeing.

I reckon this would be a major selling point for a lot of potential customers who already have a perfect working ps4 and dont want or need to upgrade to 4k yet.

I mean it's not going to change gaming in any real sense at all bar making it look a bit nicer. PSVR is what will truly change gaming this gen if it's properly supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Penn wrote: »
    I mean it's not going to change gaming in any real sense at all bar making it look a bit nicer. PSVR is what will truly change gaming this gen if it's properly supported.

Id be happy with a performance boost of some sort from the pro for hd.

That and better support for the VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »

I like the idea of VR but I don't see many major franchise games coming to it in the next few years.

I'll still probably pick up the PSVR at some stage next year but I'm not in a hurry yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Penn

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I like the idea of VR but I don't see many major franchise games coming to it in the next few years.

I'll still probably pick up the PSVR at some stage next year but I'm not in a hurry yet.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. As I said, it depends on how well it's supported. It's going to need some killer games, not just for short term, but if in a few years there's a PS5 and they come out with a PSVR2, it could be fantastic.

Interesting article on the PS Pro on Eurogamer:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-inside-playstation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

A lot to digest but what has me worried is that games need to have the Pro patch in order to use the extra GPU and CPU. If not, the Pro will just restrict performance to vanilla PS4 levels.
    I might cancel my pre-order for this now and see how it all washes out. My hopes were for games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 to get an automatic boost in order to hold the framerate at 30FPS. Going by this article, that's not the case unless there is a patch. Really disappointing.

Interesting article on the PS Pro on Eurogamer:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-inside-playstation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

A lot to digest but what has me worried is that games need to have the Pro patch in order to use the extra GPU and CPU. If not, the Pro will just restrict performance to vanilla PS4 levels.
    I might cancel my pre-order for this now and see how it all washes out. My hopes were for games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 to get an automatic boost in order to hold the framerate at 30FPS. Going by this article, that's not the case unless there is a patch. Really disappointing.

A standard PS4 has 8 Jaguar cores clocked at 1.6GHz while the Pro has the same number of cores clocked at 2.1GHz so that in itself should help with framerate.

Also, there are 18 Radeon GCN compute units at 800MHz in a standard PS4. The Pro has 36 improved GCN compute units at 911MHz. To run in legacy mode, the Pro will be running 18 of these improved cores.

All of this means that, actually, there will be a boost but no, it won't use all of the power of the Pro.

• Advertisement

A standard PS4 has 8 Jaguar cores clocked at 1.6GHz while the Pro has the same number of cores clocked at 2.1GHz so that in itself should help with framerate.

Also, there are 18 Radeon GCN compute units at 800MHz in a standard PS4. The Pro has 36 improved GCN compute units at 911MHz. To run in legacy mode, the Pro will be running 18 of these improved cores.

All of this means that, actually, there will be a boost but no, it won't use all of the power of the Pro.

That's not what's going to happen though, they are actively gimping the Pro for "base PS4" games.

From the article:
    We just turn off half the GPU and run it at something quite close to the original GPU

and...
    But what about deploying the additional Pro GPU power in base PS4 mode, similar to the Xbox One S? Or even just retaining the 111MHz GPU frequency boost? For Sony, it's all about playing it safe, to ensure that the existing 700 titles just work.

"I've done a number of experiments looking for issues when frequencies vary and... well... [laughs] I think first and foremost, we need everything to work flawlessly. We don't want people to be conscious of any issues that may arise when they move from the standard model to the PS4 Pro."

That's not what's going to happen though, they are actively gimping the Pro for "base PS4" games.

From the article

Both of those refer to the GPU though. Framerates live and die by the CPU which is getting a boost.

Both of those refer to the GPU though. Framerates live and die by the CPU which is getting a boost.

Any cursory look at benchmark would show otherwise. Instances where the CPU is the bottleneck are limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coffeeJohn92

Just a question for anyone who can help.
    Where's the best place to pre-order the PS4 Pro to get it on release day or the next day via delivery?

Few sites I've seen were gamestop, smyths, amazon. Which in your opinion would be the best to go with?

Thinking of using Amazon with Parcel Motel but not sure will I get it on release day. Anyone got experience going this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Where's the best place to pre-order the PS4 Pro to get it on release day or the next day via delivery?

Few sites I've seen were gamestop, smyths, amazon. Which in your opinion would be the best to go with?

Thinking of using Amazon with Parcel Motel but not sure will I get it on release day. Anyone got experience going this route?

Some people recently got their PSVR's delivered a day early with gamestop so maybe that would be your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Amazon won't ship here even with PM for the PS4Pro, don't know why. Even then Amazon would be a day or two after, they never ship early. The Pro is actually more expensive in sterling even with the good exchange rate right now.

Gamstop will have it delivered for release day, they did with my PS4. I have preordered online with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coffeeJohn92

Cheers for the replys will go with gamestop then.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

with Smyths you can collect on the day of release, from 9AM, but with gamestop you can actually have it a day earlier if you lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Amazon are currently shipping to Ireland,

They were price matching Tesco in the UK and I have it preordered there for £332.49.

It's only a saving of €30 if the exchange rate holds up.

• Advertisement

Lucreto wrote: »
    Amazon are currently shipping to Ireland,

They were price matching Tesco in the UK and I have it preordered there for £332.49.

It's only a saving of €30 if the exchange rate holds up.

Had a price watch on it and it never showed up :(

Advertisement