Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

robertowjr wrote: »
    Will give Smyths and Argos a buzz, no HN close to me. Cheers

Looks like Smyth's have stopped taking pre orders, u coukd go amazon and pay for express delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Gamestop.ie have charged me for the pre-order.
    Would be nice to get it early as I've sold my OG PS4.

You may get it earlier then others, like what happened with VR :) so please post your feedback if this happens.

Looks like Smyth's have stopped taking pre orders, u coukd go amazon and pay for express delivery

Can't believe they sold out, not many takers I would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Harvey Norman's don't sell games anymore do they.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cover some of their bases with the below.

“Most powerful” means when compared to other consoles on the market on [10.11.2016]. Compatible 4K HDR TV required for 4K and HDR support. Dynamic 4K gaming outputted by graphic rendering or upscaled to 4K resolution; support varies by game title. 4K entertainment via 4K video streaming services only. HDR and faster frame rates not supported by all games and video content. “Best selling” is based on sales of all consoles in 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Varik wrote: »
    Digital Foundry have a new site for their new patreon supporters ($5 a month), basically access to higher quality videos than youtube can do.

DigitalFoundary.net

$5 dollars a month... What is this 2002.

I'll stick with their Youtube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sorry for the annoying 'how to' post but what is the best way to back up your saves?
    I backed them up on a usb but doubt that'll work?
    Trading in my console tomorrow. So want to know do I initialise the system too?
    I've already conceded I'll lose my copy of PT :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

No pre-ordering with Smyths or Gamestop. Amazon or littlewoods are all thats left now and amazon have put the price back up to 350sterling

ERG89 wrote: »
    I backed them up on a usb but doubt that'll work?

hope this helps:

• Advertisement

The Cuban wrote: »
    No pre-ordering with Smyths or Gamestop. Amazon or littlewoods are all thats left now and amazon have put the price back up to 350sterling

I think you will be fine to pick it up in store, the pre-order was available until recently and they have no message saying the stock is limited like with VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The digital foundry review suggests that the pro is much louder than the slim which is disappointing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

ERG89 wrote: »
    I've already conceded I'll lose my copy of PT :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101112896&postcount=33

This worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The digital foundry review suggests that the pro is much louder than the slim which is disappointing.

It did? I can't remember them suggesting or mentioning anything about the noise but I thought most reports were saying the Pro is the quietest PS4 out of the three of them

Penn wrote: »
    It did? I can't remember them suggesting or mentioning anything about the noise but I thought most reports were saying the Pro is the quietest PS4 out of the three of them

Yep. This is what he says in the written review:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-playstation-4-pro-review

In terms of the acoustic performance of the Pro, it has much more in common with the c-chassis PS4 than the Slim. We were hoping that the larger console may integrate a larger fan - typically, the larger fan, the slower it needs to spin in order to displace the same amount of heat. We've yet to put the Pro through exhaustive tests here, but we note a peak 55dB during inFamous First Light gameplay, but really it's not so much the loudness that's the issue as opposed to the pitch. The fan spins up and down and is clearly audible from across the room. Initial tests on heat again show a profile similar to the standard PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I'm raging over that fan noise confirmation. One of the main reasons I got rid of my launch SKU.

Yep. This is what he says in the written review:

Yeah was just googling it there. Still seems to be some saying it's quiet but I'd trust Digital Foundry more than most so fair enough. Can't say I ever found the PS4 to be loud anyway.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah was just googling it there. Still seems to be some saying it's quiet but I'd trust Digital Foundry more than most so fair enough. Can't say I ever found the PS4 to be loud anyway.
    You don't happen to work on an aircraft carrier launch deck without ear protection by any chance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

You don't happen to work on an aircraft carrier launch deck without ear protection by any chance :p

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😁😁😁😁😁😁😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😁😂😁😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I dont notice mine being too loud,its a launch model too. Are people expecting totally silent operation?

Given its size and spec i think they did a relatively good job on the accoustics on the original PS4.

Theres definitely games,usually menus in said games,for me that really spin the fan up but in normal play i dont really notice it. Also gaming on PC so im used to a certain amount of fan noise though so maybe it doesnt bother me as much

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, how do the noise levels of the PS4 compare with the PS3? The pro will be my first PS4 so I'm curious how it wil compare to my PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I think I've gone blind :pac:

ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think I've gone blind :pac:

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

DF said the system was generally quiet and comparable to the c model which is quieter than launch models.

Also, other outlets such as Push Square have said the Pro is quieter than the slim. I guess your mileage may vary.

Here's hoping for a quiet model this Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I wish we occasionally got leaked free stuff over here. Its always in the UK or Middle East or The States. Last thing I saw leaked early here was Bioshock Infinite.

Its a shame Modern Warfare remastered only got a resolution bump with no extra goodness worked into it graphics wise. Running at a native 1650p according to Digital Foundry.

Its seems the Pro will be hit and miss on some titles. Its probably more accurate to say the developers have to compromise when supporting a game using the 4k mode. One example would be a developer that might go for a higher native resolution at the expense of a bump in frames per second.

Its a balancing act. Its going to be really interesting to see what each developer does with their PS4 Pro version of their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Its a shame Modern Warfare remastered only got a resolution bump with no extra goodness worked into it graphics wise. Running at a native 1650p according to Digital Foundry.

Its seems the Pro will be hit and miss on some titles. Its probably more accurate to say the developers have to compromise when supporting a game using the 4k mode. One example would be a developer that might go for a higher native resolution at the expense of a bump in frames per second.

Its a balancing act. Its going to be really interesting to see what each developer does with their PS4 Pro version of their games.

I think Sony missed a trick by not allowing non patched games to run on the faster CPU and GPU speeds. Waiting for Pro patches is gonna be a nightmare.

I am looking forward to games that were developed with the pro in mind like Horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

I think Sony missed a trick by not allowing non patched games to run on the faster CPU and GPU speeds. Waiting for Pro patches is gonna be a nightmare.

I am looking forward to games that were developed with the pro in mind like Horizon.

Totally agree. Even if it was a modest bump it would of been a real incentive for current PS4 owners to upgrade. I can see why they didn't with 50m PS4's out in the wild they are afraid of breaking older games but it could of been done correctly and suited everyone.

The example I'd use is the Xbone S which has higher clock speed and games that aren't patched run slightly better than standard Xbone. From what I've been reading when playing a non patched ps4 game the Pro basically runs in 'PS4 mode' disabling half its GPU and CPU power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

jones wrote: »
    Totally agree. Even if it was a modest bump it would of been a real incentive for current PS4 owners to upgrade. I can see why they didn't with 50m PS4's out in the wild they are afraid of breaking older games but it could of been done correctly and suited everyone.

The example I'd use is the Xbone S which has higher clock speed and games that aren't patched run slightly better than standard Xbone. From what I've been reading when playing a non patched ps4 game the Pro basically runs in 'PS4 mode' disabling half its GPU and CPU power.

For Xbox that only works if the developers coded the games with unlocked framerates from that start. The games will run as good as the hardware allows,

Advertisement