Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

For Xbox that only works if the developers coded the games with unlocked framerates from that start. The games will run as good as the hardware allows,

I thought almost all xbone games saw a slight increase in performance on the S variant? Either way sony have made their decision so its up to dev's to patch for the pro or not (I doubt most of them will). I am excited to see what upgrade games developed with the pro in mind will bring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Sony will release a patch after they clear out most of the vanilla PS4 to uncripple the Pro . The reviews make no sense otherwise . Sony have deliberately crippled the Pro so it does not take all the headlines coming up to the holidays . Think of all the Mums heading into Smyths in the next month or two asking why the slim is €150 cheaper than the big chunky one and the seller stating that the big chunky one is just if you have a 4k tv . The Mum is gonna wonder what a 4k tv is and realize that little Jonnie doesn't have a 4k tv so he doesn't need a chunky Ps4 and save the €150 and buy the slim .

I know of about 20ish ppl with Ps4's , only I am getting a Pro because most don't even know about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Is the slim only €250 then? Or the pro is 450? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sony will release a patch after they clear out most of the vanilla PS4 to uncripple the Pro . The reviews make no sense otherwise . Sony have deliberately crippled the Pro so it does not take all the headlines coming up to the holidays . Think of all the Mums heading into Smyths in the next month or two asking why the slim is €150 cheaper than the big chunky one and the seller stating that the big chunky one is just if you have a 4k tv . The Mum is gonna wonder what a 4k tv is and realize that little Jonnie doesn't have a 4k tv so he doesn't need a chunky Ps4 and save the €150 and buy the slim .

I know of about 20ish ppl with Ps4's , only I am getting a Pro because most don't even know about it .

I seriously doubt little Jonnie cares about or would notice a slight bump in framerates. In your scenario, the mother would be absolutely right to save the money and get the Slim. They're the exact target market for the Slim.

Is the slim only €250 then? Or the pro is 450? :O

The Slim will go down to €250 soon . Amazon DE already had the Slim for €217 delivered to Ireland a few weeks ago .

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I seriously doubt little Jonnie cares about or would notice a slight bump in framerates. In your scenario, the mother would be absolutely right to save the money and get the Slim. They're the exact target market for the Slim.

That's the point of my post. Sellers can't boast about the big upgrade the Pro is over the vanilla at the moment because the reviews aren't saying that at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

any sign of any bundles in smyths yet?

The Slim will go down to €250 soon . Amazon DE already had the Slim for €217 delivered to Ireland a few weeks ago .

Got a source for that?

That's the point of my post. Sellers can't boast about the big upgrade the Pro is over the vanilla at the moment because the reviews aren't saying that at the moment .

I know, but the point also has to be made that even if they could say how big an improvement the Pro is graphically and in terms of framerate, it's irrelevant and unnecessary to some people. If you don't have a 4k HDR TV, most people wouldn't want to spend €100 extra just for a slight bump in framerates or slightly better graphics (again, depending on your TV).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Penn wrote: »
    I know, but the point also has to be made that even if they could say how big an improvement the Pro is graphically and in terms of framerate, it's irrelevant and unnecessary to some people. If you don't have a 4k HDR TV, most people wouldn't want to spend €100 extra just for a slight bump in framerates or slightly better graphics (again, depending on your TV).

If you are in the market for a new console then the pro is a no brainer. I wouldnt be upgrading from the standard ps4 if I already had one though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Grecco wrote: »
    If you are in the market for a new console then the pro is a no brainer. I wouldnt be upgrading from the standard ps4 if I already had one though

That may be tthe case for you and a lot of us here,but average joe may not think the same. They see two PS4's,there told one is more expensive but only plays the same games at a slightly better image quality and potentially higher framerates. These benefits may be lost on the average person. Id agree with Penn that a lot of people will just go for the cheaper slim as the benefits of the Pro may seem trivial to the average consumer.

EoinHef wrote: »
    That may be tthe case for you and a lot of us here,but average joe may not think the same. They see two PS4's,there told one is more expensive but only plays the same games at a slightly better image quality and potentially higher framerates. These benefits may be lost on the average person. Id agree with Penn that a lot of people will just go for the cheaper slim as the benefits of the Pro may seem trivial to the average consumer.

Exactly, especially in the example given of a mother buying a PS4 for little Jonnie who doesn't have a 4K TV. Slim is by far the better option in that example. Kids under the age of 15 aren't going to care about a bump in framerates, and nor will their parents who are buying it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If I am looking to trade my launch day ps4 in, is it 1 controller, the power block, hdmi and camera that are needed for trade in? Do you need the original box too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If I am looking to trade my launch day ps4 in, is it 1 controller, the power block, hdmi and camera that are needed for trade in? Do you need the original box too?

Console, controller, power lead, charging cable and hdmi cable. No camera or that.
    Traded in mine this morning was nervous about my controller even though it works but they had no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cheers.

Anyone know if I have to trade in before thursday or will thursday when I'm collecting the pro be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Gamestop have taken payment from my account today so it looks like they might be shipping early. Wonder can I trade in against an online purchase if I show proof of payment?

Got a source for that?

My brain :P

Sony Will have to reduce the price of the Slim to shift after a week or two after the Pro . That's why the reviews are a bit meh of the Pro at the moment . Anyone who has looked at the specs of the Pro knows that the Pro is going to do a far better job than it is at the moment after a patch . If Sony kill the vanilla vs the Pro now , no one would buy a slim before the holidays .

My Uncle was the top sales manager in one of the largest food supply company's in the world ( Irish division ) . He used to visit every retail store in Ireland at least once a month to make sure the stores had his company's items in prime positions and the stores where up to date with all the latest offers . I went out with him a few times for the experience . I remember he told me once why you never really see items being cleared out off season , for example , why is mayonnaise not ever on sale during the winter ( excluding xmas ) . He told me that ppl who want to buy mayo will buy it because they want it , no matter what time of year it is and ppl who buy it when the weather is nice and sandwiches are in season won't buy it in the winter . The ppl that want mayo will pay full price , the ppl who don't , won't pay any price ...most anyway.

This is the reason that the Pro is not being hyped . The only ppl looking for a Pro at the moment are ppl who want a Pro because they understand the difference between the two consoles . But... Sony won't be able to justify a €50 difference in price between the Slim 1tb and a Pro to anyone that walks into a store soon after launch because the Pro will have Pro on the box and customers will ask a lot of questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

My brain :P
    I think you are mistaken.

IMO It will be the original PS4 that gets a massive cut in price. Retailers will be looking to off load their old PS4 surplus so this Black Friday & holidays I am expecting to see some amazing original PS4 bundles on sale.

I think you are mistaken.

IMO It will be the original PS4 that gets a massive cut in price. Retailers will be looking to off load their old PS4 surplus so this Black Friday & holidays I am expecting to see some amazing original PS4 bundles on sale.

Yes . I agree . The fat will have a bigger price cut than the slim .

GameStop has them in behind the stock. Not selling till Thursday of course >.<

• Advertisement

GameStop has them in behind the stock. Not selling till Thursday of course >.<

Aint nothing a good ole looting riot wouldn't sort out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Dam my impulsiveness.

I cancelled my preorder with amazon last week thinking I was being all rational and convincing myself I didn't need a new PS4. Now its coming close to release I preordered it again thinking f**k it you only live once. And now the price has gone back up again. (£358.74 including VAT) still should work out slightly cheaper than buying here.

FML

Gamestop have just shipped my order, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Me too. Should get it tomorrow!

I noticed the receipt in the email missed out a line in my delivery address. Does yours look the same?

Lucky so and so's :mad:

Me too. Should get it tomorrow!

I noticed the receipt in the email missed out a line in my delivery address. Does yours look the same?

Yeah mine is missing the last line but there is enough on it to get to my PM locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

ERG89 wrote: »
    Console, controller, power lead, charging cable and hdmi cable. No camera or that.
    Traded in mine this morning was nervous about my controller even though it works but they had no problem with it.

How much did you get for it and where did you trade it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Went to my local GS today and I'm too late for a preorder, he did say he may have extra stock on the day and asked me to call him to check...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Mswifter

Mine just got shipped gamestop 😎😂☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Got €195 in gamestop but I preordered the Pro a few weeks ago. Not sure you can get one now. I was told they had pre orders available for the second wave of ps4 pro's a week after launch tho

Advertisement