Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The much maligned Gamestop have been good with hardware pre-orders, PSVR delivered a day early and looks the same deal for the Pro.

Credit when due cos they get slaughtered for their game prices (rightly so).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Despite my previous post gamestop informed me they are taking a second wave of pre orders for the 18th so i put my name down. I traded in my 1tb c chassis ps4 for 225 with the ps pro so saves me the hassle of selling it.

• Sony allowing 3rd party devs to charge for PS4 patches. Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sony allowing 3rd party devs to charge for PS4 patches. Wtf

Shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

That's not true at all. Absinthe games CEO confirmed 3rd parties have no way of applying a price to a patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Source? Because when that rumour was floated a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure Sony flat out denied it and said they wouldn't.

• Klair88 wrote: »
    That's not true at all. Absinthe games CEO confirmed 3rd parties have no way of applying a price to a patch.

Source? And one Dev said it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

https://youtu.be/_C4VjxQL0lE

An interesting watch.

Jesus if Sony are at this it would be laughable

• Penn wrote: »
    Source? Because when that rumour was floated a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure Sony flat out denied it and said they wouldn't.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

As I said Sony wouldn't for first party
    Third party I said

Source? And one Dev said it?

The Dev confirmed there's no way to charge for a new pro patch applied to existing released games and that new games that have the Pro support at to be ready at launch checklist, same as the normal PS4.

The developer has to incur the fees for old games being patched which is why not many will do it IMO

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=216388989&postcount=589

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Klair88 wrote: »
    The Dev confirmed there's no way to charge for a new pro patch applied to existing released games and that new games that have the Pro support at to be ready at launch checklist, same as the normal PS4.

The developer has to incur the fees for old games being patched which is why not many will do it IMO

Q: Will I need to pay to update my existing PS4 game with new PS4 Pro features?
    A: While nothing specifically prevents publishers and developers from this, we don’t anticipate it at this time. Software updates enabling PS4 Pro features on any existing first-party title (such as inFamous First Light or Uncharted 4) will be free.

I think it would be developer suicide if they tried that - all games released I think from Thursday in most cases will have to have a "Pro mode" from what I can see...

I can't see the likes of indie devs going and patching their old games, but some of the bigger titles may...

Now, if it was a case that you could pay for a 60fps upgrade for say something like Bloodborne, would people pay it?

Fieldog wrote: »
    A: While nothing specifically prevents publishers and developers from this, we don’t anticipate it at this time. Software updates enabling PS4 Pro features on any existing first-party title (such as inFamous First Light or Uncharted 4) will be free.

I think it would be developer suicide if they tried that - all games released I think from Thursday in most cases will have to have a "Pro mode" from what I can see...

I can't see the likes of indie devs going and patching their old games, but some of the bigger titles may...

Now, if it was a case that you could pay for a 60fps upgrade for say something like Bloodborne, would people pay it?

Well that's the main point. Would people pay for those patches? I'm inclined to think not. Considering the Pro is aimed at the more discerning gamer, they're also ones who are less likely to support such fees. And I doubt any developer would want to be one of the few who charge for it and the bad press that would get.

If anything, giving it for free would make those with the Pro more likely to buy the game. Hell, I'm already considering rebuying Infamous Second Son and Shadow of Mordor to replay them and try them in 4K.

Best of luck to the first developer to charge for it. Wouldn't want to be them.

Fieldog wrote: »

Bloodborne is one of my favourite games but I wouldn't pay for the upgrade. I think you're right. It's a grey area where developers could charge but it would be seen as a very bad move. Like when Valve & Bethesda tried to charge for mods on Skyrim & Fallout. The community really didn't appreciate it and I'd hope the same thing would happen here.

I'm more interested in the new titles coming with Pro features rather than the games I've already played.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/
    Sony wrote:

So free PS4 Pro updates for first party titles and wide open for everything else. I am surprised Sony haven't ruled it out entirely.

Unless it actually starts to happen, I'm not worried about it. None of the announced games by 3rd parties have introduced it. I imagine it'll stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »
    Unless it actually starts to happen, I'm not worried about it. None of the announced games by 3rd parties have introduced it. I imagine it'll stay that way.
    Hopefully.

Game studios can be right dicks sometimes. Take Infinity Ward for example. Bundling MW1 with the special edition of Infinite Warfare and making sure MW couldn't be sold separately.

I just think Sony should not have entertained the idea of it. Game studios do anything these days to get a few extra dollars.

• Klair88 wrote: »

One dev posting on a forum not enough for me. Why Sony allows it to even be an option is what should be questioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Cex learned a lesson after the VR shambles ,

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SPS4P1TB001#.WCLimjXfObg

I was wondering how much they would offer for the Pro .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Hopefully.

Game studios can be right dicks sometimes. Take Infinity Ward for example. Bundling MW1 with the special edition of Infinite Warfare and making sure MW couldn't be sold separately.

I just think Sony should not have entertained the idea of it. Game studios do anything these days to get a few extra dollars.

That had nothing to do with Infinity Ward or Sony, that was 100% Activisions fault. They are by far the greediest publisher in the industry.

I'll be shocked if they don't release it as a standalone early next year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I don't see why there is an issue about third party's charging for pro patches . You can't expect company's to use their resources and time to work on a game that is old. All the games from now on will be Pro mode compatible though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Cex learned a lesson after the VR shambles ,

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SPS4P1TB001#.WCLimjXfObg

I was wondering how much they would offer for the Pro .

That's today the price will fluctuate based on supply and timing nearer to annual gift day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I don't see why there is an issue about third party's charging for pro patches . You can't expect company's to use their resources and time to work on a game that is old. All the games from now on will be Pro mode compatible though .

I'm getting a Pro, would I have paid a few quid extra for a 60FPS Uncharted 4?

I'd actually consider it, would love a 60fps update to Fallout 4 also...

As I said previously, big publishers will probably do updates if inclined and the Indies won't..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

anyone know if I can still trade my PS4 for a good price tomorrow with gamestop? Also, do I need to box it in the original PS4 box, or is a bag sufficient?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Adding a Pro patch to a game isn't a freebie for publishers. There's a heap of optimisation of code, bug testing and QA approval that has to go into it and paying for all that man power. It makes no sense to invest in a game that is not selling anymore just to add pro support and not see any return investment. Sony can do it as they are trying to shift systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Battlefield 1 is definitely for Pro only, played yesterday on PS4 and I must say its damn slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

so folks will i get titanfall 2 or battlefield 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

peteeeed wrote: »

Titanfall 2 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭robertowjr

peteeeed wrote: »

Battlefield 1 for me, closer to reality and not as fast paced as Titanfall 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I think titanfall will go cheap on black friday, given it hasn't sold well. So I'll wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I went for battlefield 1,dont regret it.

Advertisement