Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly with a nice 1080p LG television, I'm still not sure if the PS4 Pro will offer any improvement over my standard console. 1GB is a bummer too, I've already got double that in my console.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

I think the biggest issue was not being actually able to show us the difference that 4k or hdr brings (if any). When they switched from ps3 to ps4 you could see the jump because the games were running in 1080p. Instead here I am on a 1080p screen listening to some auld fellas telling how great it is and im barely able to see any difference. Hardly convincing me to upgrade. Also why did the game demo not last a minute or two to give us a better idea.With all the 10 or 15 second shots you hardly get a chance to look at it before it moves on to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Prettier graphics just doesn't excite me. Played Uncharted 4 and thought it was gorgeous, any little improvements that can made on that or similar looking games is just diminishing returns for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

That Andrew House character didn't even mention the Slim model details after the "reveal".
    I think he was fairly pissed off that the details leaked early on that one :D

It's available from Sept 15th, if anyone cares :)

For E399 it should really have a 2TB hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

tkd93 wrote: »
    I think the biggest issue was not being actually able to show us the difference that 4k or hdr brings (if any). When they switched from ps3 to ps4 you could see the jump because the games were running in 1080p. Instead here I am on a 1080p screen listening to some auld fellas telling how great it is and im barely able to see any difference. Hardly convincing me to upgrade. Also why did the game demo not last a minute or two to give us a better idea.With all the 10 or 15 second shots you hardly get a chance to look at it before it moves on to the next.

Em when the PS3 came out everyone had standard TVs. I couldn't see 720p or 1080p until I saw one set up playing in a shop then I went and bought a 720p HDTV at the time and cost me €1,100 in 2006. I played my Xbox 360 for 2 months on a standard TV then bought a HDTV and was blown away.

It's the same again now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

So is the PS4 pro going to have a 4 year lifespan or is this the new 32X ?
    If they come out with a new PS (PS5 ?) in 2017 I'd be well p**sed off.

horgan_p wrote: »

Think it's safe to say the the Pro=One S so Sony will have a console = Scorpio this time next year.

Consoles have now gone the way of smart phones, 5-10 year cycles are gone. The iPhone 7 was announced tonight but people are still using iPhone 4s. Just a better experience on a 7 than a 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

horgan_p wrote: »

They cannot make a mention of a PS5 coming out at the moment even if it is next year or nobody will buy the Pro, but no way will it have a 4 year exclusive life cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

For E399 it should really have a 2TB hard drive.

I'm guessing that because it's 400 euro were getting the 1TB drive. Margins must be really tight with it. Bit disappointing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anyone still watching the stream? I was wondered what ever happened to Moby!

I'm guessing that because it's 400 euro were getting the 1TB drive. Margins must be really tight with it. Bit disappointing though.

Just going by the Xbox one s that basically does all the same things as the pro and had a 2TB hard drive for E399.

Thought Sony would try and match that.

Just going by the Xbox one s that basically does all the same things as the pro and had a 2TB hard drive for E399.

The specs of the Pro exceed the One S by a good margin, it's a more powerful console even without 4K or HDR. Hard drives are trivial, throw one in later for €60 if you want. Same price as a game.

No 4K blu ray drive on the pro is a rumour going around!!

Has the Pro got a 4K BluRay drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The specs of the Pro exceed the One S by a good margin, it's a more powerful console even without 4K or HDR. Hard drives are trivial, throw one in later for 60 if you want. Same price as a game.

Yep trivial, get the specs and then concern yoursef with your own preference on HDD.
    Thats how they get the cheap seling price down.

Has the Pro got a 4K BluRay drive?

No by the looks of it.

Unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

I know that but when they were switching from ps3 to ps4 in 2013 most people had hdtv`s so were able to see the difference

The specs of the Pro exceed the One S by a good margin, it's a more powerful console even without 4K or HDR. Hard drives are trivial, throw one in later for €60 if you want. Same price as a game.

Can you link to the specs then? Because until I can compare them to the original and the One S I'm not convinced!

No by the looks of it.

Unbelievable!

That can't be right surely. I mean the thing can output in 4K, how much more effort or cost does it take to make it read the 4K Blu-Rays?

• Advertisement

Can you link to the specs then? Because until I can compare them to the original and the One S I'm not convinced!

The "GPU bandwidth has been doubled" and they have adopted the new AMD Polaris archicture and gone at bit beyond it and the CPU clockspeed given a big increase. Mark Cerny listed these off, watch the stream again. It's head and shoulders more powerful than the One S in GPU bandwidth alone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So will sony announce a console to take on the project scropio ?

The Xbox one s looks much better value now with 2TB hard drive and it plays 4K blu rays.

The Xbox one s looks much better value now with 2TB hard drive and it plays 4K blu rays.

All the 2TB versions are sold out now though, that was a limited edition SKU. The 1Tb and 500gb versions are due 21 of August, but yes less than €400.

I don't bother with blurays and download or stream all my moives so 4k Blurays don't matter to me at all, I just want a games console at the end of the day.
    It's where your priorities lie as a consumer though, I'm a pure gamer.

I have a One S, upgraded just for Forza 6 and Elite Dangerous, don't have a 4K TV yet though and will be getting a Pro on release.

So will sony announce a console to take on the project scropio ?

They can't surely, otherwise they're getting into the territory of announcing a new console every year.

Have to say, with Scorpio looming on the horizon and even the NX around the corner, this is starting to feel like it could be a misstep by Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Nothing here to change my mind that console gaming is sort of going to sh*t. As a huge techie I'm not at all excited by Sonys or Microsoft's efforts with these updated consoles.

Building a good PC is probably the real way forward for gaming enthusiasts.

Just seen that it's been confirmed that there is no 4K Blu-Ray support. Yep, Sony's 4K console, does not support 4K Blu-Ray, a format owned by Sony.

Mental.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They can't surely, otherwise they're getting into the territory of announcing a new console every year.

Have to say, with Scorpio looming on the horizon and even the NX around the corner, this is starting to feel like it could be a misstep by Sony.

Isn't that what microsoft are doing though? S this year and scropio next year.

Nothing here to change my mind that console gaming is sort of going to sh*t. As a huge techie I'm not at all excited by Sonys or Microsoft's efforts with these updated consoles.

Building a good PC is probably the real way forward for gaming enthusiasts.

I don't think so with the state of some PC games released in this year. Shocking stuff having to wait months for patches just to make some games playable. It's only mods keeping PC gaming going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

The announcement that HDR will be added to every current model of PS4 via firmware update next week basically brings it closer to the One S with the One S holding the advantage of up scaling to 4K.

The PS4 Pro is a much more powerful machine than the One S and will be the most powerful gaming console for the next year.

I reckon Sony will announce a more powerful PS5 (coming Spring 2018) next year in the weeks coming up to the Scorpio release.

Advertisement