Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Comments

• More reports of both the pro patch for world of final fantasy and skyrim special edition running worse on ps4 pro
    Hmmm

Here lies the problem for devs, is nearly like its backwards compatibility issues for existing titles
    Are devs going to give 100% for older titles

As for new games, If creating 2 different layers for developing a game for two types of systems then there going to introduce even more issues with titles because of the variance in the hardware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    More reports of both the pro patch for world of final fantasy and skyrim special edition running worse on ps4 pro
    Hmmm

Here lies the problem for devs, is nearly like its backwards compatibility issues for existing titles
    Are devs going to give 100% for older titles

As for new games, If creating 2 different layers for developing a game for two types of systems then there going to introduce even more issues with titles because of the variance in the hardware

Ah not bothered picking this up now seems to be a real deadweight of a console. I'll just stick to my standard ps4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yup bit of a bummer,hopefully it can be sorted with patches for the games. May just be teething problems. The console is only out 4 days.

If not,going forward implementation will hopefully be better. Patching old games or games that didnt have the pro in mind when development started was always going to be a messy business.

On the other hand theres also the titles that are be praised for what the pro can do with them. Rise of the Tomb Raider being one,by all accounts a major upgrade there.

• EoinHef wrote: »
    Yup bit of a bummer,hopefully it can be sorted with patches for the games. May just be teething problems. The console is only out 4 days.

If not,going forward implementation will hopefully be better. Patching old games or games that didnt have the pro in mind when development started was always going to be a messy business.

On the other hand theres also the titles that are be praised for what the pro can do with them. Rise of the Tomb Raider being one,by all accounts a major upgrade there.

Rise of the Time raider is a great example but looks like the devs have had way more time to optimize and get it right
    The other patches look completely rushed out the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Just watched "The True Memoirs of an International Assassin" on Netflix, on PS4 Pro, HDR was ON, it was damn good, first movie I really noticed the difference between 1080p and 4K. Funny thing that on TV Netflix App (Samsung F9000) the HDR is not available, on Pro Is!, so another point to buy Pro.

Was wondering if the Netflix app had been updated for HDR? Marco Polo, Daredevil still show as Ultra HD 4K for me. I get HDR in TLOU so I know the PS4 Pro are both configured properly but I can't watch any HDR content in Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/14/13625920/ps4-pro-4k-tv-black-screen

Some brands of TV not working out of the box with 4K either...

Thankfully I haven't got a 4K TV yet... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Senecio wrote: »
    Was wondering if the Netflix app had been updated for HDR? Marco Polo, Daredevil still show as Ultra HD 4K for me. I get HDR in TLOU so I know the PS4 Pro are both configured properly but I can't watch any HDR content in Netflix.

It's not enabled on the Netflix app as of yet (ver 1.07) as far as I'm aware, with no indication of when that'll change. Some are using HDR effect processing, or some quirks like the Xbox One S had at launch where HDR was being triggered by the Netflix app and remaining on even when out at the dashboard.
    If your display is handling HDR on other PS4 sources, then your sorted, and to be honest, most built-in TV Netflix apps tend to perform better in any case.

Netflix current non-TV HDR list is -
    Chromecast Ultra
    Nvidia Shield and Nvidia Shield Pro
    Roku Premiere+ and Roku Ultra
    Xbox One S

No doubt the PS4 will be added to that at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

McDermotX wrote: »
    It's not enabled on the Netflix app as of yet (ver 1.07) as far as I'm aware, with no indication of when that'll change. Some are using HDR effect processing, or some quirks like the Xbox One S had at launch where HDR was being triggered by the Netflix app and remaining on even when out at the dashboard.
    If your display is handling HDR on other PS4 sources, then your sorted, and to be honest, most built-in TV Netflix apps tend to perform better in any case.

Netflix current non-TV HDR list is -
    Chromecast Ultra
    Xbox One S

No doubt the PS4 will be added to that at some point.

Appreciate that. Was confused by a previous poster referring to HDR Netflix content via PS4 Pro.

Looks like I'm sorted for now. I have a Sheild TV for my 4K UHD TV but after an update back in August it ruined the 4K UHD picture quality so I relegated it to the 2nd TV and started using the built in TV App for Netflix. All good except Panasonic are notorious for poor support of their built in Apps so there is no indication of when, or even if, they will update the Netflix App to support HDR. Amazon Prime has been updated but not Netflix?

Anyway, last night I brought the Sheild TV back down to the living room and low and behold I have a beautiful PQ again and glorious HDR. All good, now I just need to figure out to fit 4 HDMI sources into just 3 ports on the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

My Samsung F9000 TV App doesn't have HDR enabled :( So I'm using Nvidia Shield for HDR titles, and I'm pretty much sure that I watched True Memoirs of an International Assassin in HDR on PS4, it had "HDR" logo, could they be testing something at that time? I'll test again tonight and try to find a HDR movie with PS4 Pro App.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

just need the second part of your prediction to come true

Only noticed it this morning myself and came back to this thread!
    It's now 399.99 "Save" 70 bucks :D

Interestingly, all stores still have this in stock, except Castlebarr, but they can order it in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/samsung-40-6-series-uhd-4k-tv-ue40ku6000kxxu.html

I'm looking for a new tv for my ps pro and came across this one i liked..Anyone recommend this 4k tv for the pro? i mean does HDR work great with it compared to the dearer high end 4k tvs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wouldn't buy a 4K TV without HDR to be honest. HDR alone is more important than the 4k resolution jump from 1080p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Netflix current non-TV HDR list is
    Chromecast Ultra
    Xbox One S

You right, I couldn't find any titles with HDR on PS4 Pro App, perhaps I was mixed up, but I still recall I was seeing HDR logo, confused now. Anyway, I compared 3 different sources on The Ridiculous 6
    1. TV App - Ultra HD 4K
    2. Nvidia Shield - HDR
    3. PS4 Pro - Ultra HD 4K
    and I found not much difference in colours between HDR version and none-HDR. Also picture quality is, visually, much better on PS4, and the App itself in 4K resolution so all the posters and menus are sharp and high-quality. Hope when PS4 Netflix App is updated to HDR it will be even more WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mark26

Wouldn't buy a 4K TV without HDR to be honest. HDR alone is more important than the 4k resolution jump from 1080p.

I bought this samsung 4k tv in the summer http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/uhd-tvs/UE65JU6000KXXU , before i knew anything about the ps4 pro. Anyway i'm picking my pro up today. Are you saying i won't get the full benefits :eek:

Denisoftus wrote: »
    You right, I couldn't find any titles with HDR on PS4 Pro App, perhaps I was mixed up, but I still recall I was seeing HDR logo, confused now. Anyway, I compared 3 different sources on The Ridiculous 6
    1. TV App - Ultra HD 4K
    2. Nvidia Shield - HDR
    3. PS4 Pro - Ultra HD 4K
    and I found not much difference in colours between HDR version and none-HDR. Also picture quality is, visually, much better on PS4, and the App itself in 4K resolution so all the posters and menus are sharp and high-quality. Hope when PS4 Netflix App is updated to HDR it will be even more WOW.

HDR is still an area in calibration which is 'in flux' to say the least - so there can only sometimes be some meeting ground between different TV models and playback devices with regard to correct brightness levels, contrast and general RGB management levels. Even then, two TVs of the same model can have wildly different colour levels making it awkward to find the right level.

HDR is generally quite a subtle difference if calibrated right......lot of people think it should enrich colours making them jump off the screen dazzling the viewer, but that's not quite true - even if that's the marketing line used by Sony and MS. It should lend a more natural appearance to the contrast between light and dark, lending a greater gradation of detail between two dynamically opposing brightness levels. A good example of this would be sunlight reflecting off water, whereby it should appear more natural, or foreground scene detail not being overloaded by a bright background such as a sunrise/sunset, or shadow detail not being obscured etc.
    Yes there is an increase in colour detail, but it shouldn't be overpowering say to the level MS loved to show off in Forza Horizon 3 - though that game's graphical style tends to swerve towards overblown scenes.

FWIW, the best way to calibrate HDR (outside of professional services of course), is with UHD Blu-ray as opposed to Netflix or gaming, as that platform has the breathing room to properly display 4K and HDR as intended. Netflix HDR (such as the likes of the Shield and One S) and DolbyVision (on LG/Vizio apps) is nice and all, but it's nowhere near the same level of the physical media.
    I'd expect the PS4 Pro's eventual Netflix update to strongly resemble the Xbox's - good, solid stuff, and definitely something to add to the 4K streaming.

Senecio wrote: »
    ...... All good, now I just need to figure out to fit 4 HDMI sources into just 3 ports on the TV.

That's the annoying part alright.......and unless you a planning to run through a HDCP2.2 receiver (even then, not all HDMI In ports on up to date receivers are HDCP2.2), it's going to be an issue with protected material.
    Using the likes of HDMI splitters is asking for a world of hurt if you want to maintain coherent connections. There are some very expensive devices like HD Furys that can be used to override HDCP limitations, but everyone's setup is different, and there's no perfect solutions.

If not using a recevier and only 3 ports - something has to give. But certainly whichever UHD devices you are using are better suited to having dedicated ports. Older HDMI sources will have to be accommodated other ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah not bothered picking this up now seems to be a real deadweight of a console. I'll just stick to my standard ps4...

3 games not properly optimised by the developers for a console which has been out for 5 days but will likely be fixed in a patch within a few weeks

"...real deadweight of a console..."

Yeah, you probably should stick with your standard PS4. I don't think the PS4 Pro could ever meet your standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Penn wrote: »
    3 games not properly optimised by the developers for a console which has been out for 5 days but will likely be fixed in a patch within a few weeks

"...real deadweight of a console..."

Yeah, you probably should stick with your standard PS4. I don't think the PS4 Pro could ever meet your standards.

The same user also said some nasty stuff to me before on PM if that gives you a idea if you say something he does not like.

The console is like you said 5 days old. There patching old games that dont need to be patched for FREE where more or less getting a remaster off a game for free and people still find issues.

I got the PS4 pro myself as my launch day 1 PS4 had seen better days and the controller was basically broke and over heated all the time. Sold it for 200 euros and bought the pro. I have been extremely impressed with it. Its really quite and i can play my games on my 4K TV this is the main reason i wonted it i now have a use for my 4K TV a Year later.

IT also gives more power for the VR witch i cant get over how much fun it is to play the only downfall i have for the VR is after looking at 4K screen going down to 1080P is a bit crap ha.

To me sony has won me back over again with there products from the xbox one for the time been :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

Set up my pro at lunch time i left it restoring while i went back to work it was saying around 7 hours to complete which seemed a bit long but at least it'll save me downloading everything again.

Any excuse to play the last of us again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

My Samsung UHD can play Netflixs 4k UHD programs, would this be a good indicator that my tv can handle the ps4 pro ??

• Advertisement

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    My Samsung UHD can play Netflixs 4k UHD programs, would this be a good indicator that my tv can handle the ps4 pro ??

Do you know what model of TV you have?

Your tv is most likely 4k, though you should check if it has HDR.

Do you know what model of TV you have?

Your tv is most likely 4k, though you should check if it has HDR.

its 4k but I don't think it has HDR, was thinking that with it being 4k that the picture would be better with the pro, also Im sick of having to delete games to add new games on my day 1 ps4.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

its 4k but I don't think it has HDR, was thinking that with it being 4k that the picture would be better with the pro, also Im sick of having to delete games to add new games on my day 1 ps4.....

Picture would be a lot better quality in 4K resolution alone, any idea if the TV will get a HDR update?

Some of them get updates for HDR

I'm in the same boat. My tv is 4k but no HDR (bought it before I knew HDR was a thing). But still bought the Pro for the larger HDD, 4k graphics and better performance, and since my PS4 was a launch model too, felt the Pro was future-proofing for the next few years.

I might get a new 4k HDR tv in the new year to really get the most out of it, but it depends on your own circumstances.

I looked up the stats the stats of my Samsung tv and it has 3840 x 2160 pixels and according to the Sony site that means it 4k...

What resolutions does PS4 Pro support?
    On 4K TVs, games are capable of running at up to 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels, also known as “2160p”) resolution.

I looked up the stats the stats of my Samsung tv and it has 3840 x 2160 pixels and according to the Sony site that means it 4k...

What resolutions does PS4 Pro support?
    On 4K TVs, games are capable of running at up to 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels, also known as “2160p”) resolution.

Then yeah, if you got the PS4 Pro, in the resolution settings of the PS4 Pro you can change it to 3840 x 2160 (4k).

Then yeah, if you got the PS4 Pro, in the resolution settings of the PS4 Pro you can change it to 3840 x 2160 (4k).

good stuff. I just bite the bullet and bought the pro.. bought it online at Smyths, gamestop were sold out...... will sell my day ps4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

good stuff. I just bite the bullet and bought the pro.. bought it online at Smyths, gamestop were sold out...... will sell my day ps4

Try the things for sale pages in your local area I had mine gone in less then a hour people where bidding for it. Was only hoping to to get 150 ended up getting 200 euros as the things for sale pages as full of people looking to buy them for there kids for xmess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Is there a trick to getting the HDD cover off the Pro. I am going red in the face and it's not moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Lucreto wrote: »
    Is there a trick to getting the HDD cover off the Pro. I am going red in the face and it's not moving.

It's a bit fiddly alright, you have to pull the tab towards you and slide slightly to the right at the same time. The standard PS4 was so much easier.

Advertisement