Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Also major misstep if the PS4 slim has no optical out as most high end headsets like Astros need that to feed the mixamp so I won't be getting that either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No 4K blu ray drive confirmed.

Really short, to the point mostly, except that bit where House was blabbing about rendering and ****. Good show overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

No 4K blu ray drive confirmed.

This part has me flabbergasted mind you!

Surely it'd been worth adding the drive and upping the RRP seeing as everyone was expecting a higher price anyway.

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Batesy wrote: »
    The announcement that HDR will be added to every current model of PS4 via firmware update next week basically brings it closer to the One S with the One S holding the advantage of up scaling to 4K.

The PS4 Pro is a much more powerful machine than the One S and will be the most powerful gaming console for the next year.

I reckon Sony will announce a more powerful PS5 (coming Spring 2018) next year in the weeks coming up to the Scorpio release.

Agreed. This time next year a few weeks before the Scorpio comes out, they'll announce a price drop for the PS4Pro and the first announcement of the PS5 for release in 2018.

Copped during the conference that they only mentioned 4k streaming such as Netflix and YouTube, but still presumed they'd have a 4k bluray player. Man, leaving that out is a huge misstep. It was pretty much taken as a given months and months ago. I'm guessing as with the 1tb hdd it's due to cost. They're offering 4k gaming for €400 this year. Only way to do that is trim the fat and I'm guessing they're just prioritising 4k gaming over blurays. Disappointing not to have the 4k blurays, but meh, can live without it.

I'll definitely pick one up. Show was boring as almighty f*ck (bar them realising the Activision guy's mic wasn't on). Was also watching it live at a really poor resolution, so will check it out again tomorrow to see the real difference in how the games look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Probably the sacrifice to maintain the 400 quid price tag. Out a year ahead and probably a good bit cheaper the Scorpio.

No sorry this has been a major disappointment all round
    Why make a Ultra HD console with standard HD BluRay drive and before anyone goes on about it's a gaming console, they were selling the HD media side with Netflix and YouTube But the best advert for HDR is movie content!
    Secondly I said to myself I'll pick up a slim instead until I notice not optical out for my Astro headset!

I can see a strong market for second hand original PS4 Sku's I'd say GameStop and CEX are delighted. Might pick up a CH1200 model as back up to my launch PS4 before they disappear off the shelves!

This kind of feels like the Xbox one Annoincment when they were focuses on the media capabilities same here where the buzz word was HDR TV sets that very few own!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

tkd93 wrote: »
    Probably the sacrifice to maintain the 400 quid price tag. Out a year ahead and probably a good bit cheaper the Scorpio.

The PS4 Pro can't compete with Scorpio, there will another console form Sony for that.

The official spec just released for the Pro show 4.2 TFLOPs GPU bandwidth. The Scorpio is designed to have 6 TFLOP.

The current PS4 has about 1.9-2 TFLOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

What's this neo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Phil.x wrote: »
    What's this neo

Matrix code names used by Sony. The VR headset was called Morpheus and Neo was the PS4 Pro. Trinity is suspected as the PS5 code name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Isn't that what microsoft are doing though? S this year and scropio next year.

Not really, they're positioning as the Xbox Slim revision and all they're messaging has been to that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Do people genuinely care that much about a 4K Blu Ray player or is it just something people are getting angry at for the sake of getting angry?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Do people genuinely care that much about a 4K Blu Ray player or is it just something people are getting angry at for the sake of getting angry?

The fact that it's a 4K capable console it should really have been included.

I'm annoyed about the lack of 4K blu ray. But I'm gonna pre order it tomorrow morning.

It should have been included and from all the initial talk about it months ago it seemed like a dead set. The fact it's not there when everyone expected it to be (and when it's capable of it) is definitely a surprise and not a good one.

I don't mind it not being there, but would have definitely preferred it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I'm still buying it as I traded my launch version in last week ahead of the announcement.

It's just a very very strange omission considering the big focus on 4K HDR in the press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I've a ps3 2nd gen, so what is the advantage of this latest ps4.

How much per year to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I just find it funny that people are getting so uppity about a lack of 4K Blu Ray support.

Alright, it's a bit of a head scratcher but friends of mine and various social media heads I follow were slagging off the Xbox One and the fact that "all it has is TV and movies when I just wanna play games".

These same people are losing their absolute shít over not having something they'll barely use anyway.

The mind boggles.

I'll not be buying one because, well I don't need one. I can count the number of times on one hand I've used my PS4 for blu-ray watching. It's a nice addition but it's nothing that would make or break or console.

People just seem to like picking faults in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'll buy it if Argos do their usual and have great deals around Christmas time.

Some will care! I bought my PS3 on launch as a cheap BluRay player and a gaming console second! 4K BluRay will look better then the compressed Netflix 4K content. So some people who want a cheap 4K BluRay player will go and buy the One S now instead!
    Wouldn't be surprised if a future Version of the Pro comes with a 4K drive.

• Advertisement

14305290_584101441772924_1065510053009306336_o.jpg

Ha ha ha ha ha oh Gamestop

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

To be honest I'm happy with my PS4 as it stands and the 2GB drive inside it. I don't have a 4K TV and Sony haven't really explained how getting a PS4 Pro would benefit me.

With the NX and Scorpio on the horizon and the price of the new AMD Rx cards, I kind of feel that I'd be better off spending that €400 elsewhere right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

I'm annoyed about the lack of 4K blu ray. But I'm gonna pre order it tomorrow morning.

Why though?

Genuinely curious to know why you want one if you have a ps4 already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Why though?

Handy to have one in each room!

Why though?

Not directed at me, but I'm in the same boat so for me:

- 4k gaming
    - 4k video streaming
    - Larger HDD (not as large as I'd have liked, but 1tb would do me for the foreseeable and can upgrade in the future if needed)
    - My launch PS4 still occasionally ejects disks by itself (not as much as when it was sitting flat, but still happens every few months)
    - Future-proofing until the PS5 comes out
    - Keep original PS4 in another room for handiness

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So is this the console the PlayStation to power the PSVR? Or will there be a 'new' console before the PSVR is launched?

Is this a mid cycle revision like the One S?

When is the PSVR out?

On the lack of a 4k Blue Ray drive I think it is a bit of an oversight but the lack of an optical out is a bigger mistake in my opinion. My soundbar and headset use optical out, as I imagine a lot of others people equipment use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

No reason for myself to upgrade. I do think the no blu-ray 4k drive is silly. Not everything is on streaming services so if you get used to 4k and really want to watch something at the quality your used to, you can't. I can't go back to DVD because of HD.

Happy to wait for Scorpio, by the time of it's release the HDR 4k TVs should be nice and cheap.

If you are to buy a HDR 4K tv at the moment I urge you to do your research, not all will be compatible I imagine. With the Xbox one S (for example) you need to make sure you get HDR 10 media profile with a 10 bit colour depth. Its such a headache analysing specs but if you want the best for your budget, plus I wouldn't trust the sales people.

Why though?

Cos its an upgraded PS4 with new features that I want to use. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

emmetkenny wrote: »
    So is this the console the PlayStation to power the PSVR? Or will there be a 'new' console before the PSVR is launched?

Is this a mid cycle revision like the One S?

When is the PSVR out?

On the lack of a 4k Blue Ray drive I think it is a bit of an oversight but the lack of an optical out is a bigger mistake in my opinion. My soundbar and headset use optical out, as I imagine a lot of others people equipment use.

Basically. No.

No

Next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Zavvi has a price of €423.49

Advertisement