Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Yeah, 2TB is the current limit. That is why I was hoping prior to launch that Sony would confirm an increased enclosure size for the HDD bay but alas...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Otacon wrote: »
    Yeah, 2TB is the current limit. That is why I was hoping prior to launch that Sony would confirm an increased enclosure size for the HDD bay but alas...

Grand job so, no point looking for something that doesn't exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Is the highest capacity a 9.5mm 2.5 inch HDD at the moment 2tb?
    I see 3tb seagate's that are 11mm and 4tb ones that are 15mm.

2tb is fine of course, just gotta watch out for a cheap one now :)

Seagate have released new 2TB drives which are 7mm, also SSHD. No reason they couldn't do a 3TB or 4TB and keep it under the limit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Taltos wrote: »
    Anyone got any solutions for keeping the Pro cool?
    I've a silly Ikea unit so not enough space for a vertical stand. My last PS4 was reversed so the vents were facing outwards, but with the new power cable on the pro being prone to coming out I've had to leave it side facing out and so it's still getting very hot.

Any thoughts?

Can you angle it slightly to minimize it?

Also as an added precaution, I have mine on "stilts" so to speak, allows air to flow under the console, probably overkill, but both my launch and pro are quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Umm, could be some "Boost" mode coming for PS4 Pro:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340529

Buttery smooth Bloodborne maybe???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Now this is what I wanted, thank you Sony...

In other news, external hard drive support for game data is now a thing, 3 years later....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-03-playstation-4-is-finally-getting-external-hard-drive-support

Umm, could be something you set yourself. If there is an issue, you can switch back. Not sure how it would work with online games though:

C3vtyy7WIAA6czA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

AWESOME

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

The Witcher 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne would be amazing if they could be "boosted"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jones wrote: »
    The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne would be amazing if they could be "boosted"

I think benefits will only be from games with unlocked framerates, Hitman and Ark I can think of off hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Fieldog wrote: »
    I think benefits will only be from games with unlocked framerates, Hitman and Ark I can think of off hand....

Let us have at least a day of hope before destroying our dreams! :)

I think I saw it might help games that struggle with their framerates also? Which would mean Bloodborne.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fieldog wrote: »

Bloodbourne has a locked framerate of 30 FPS but barely reaches it and has frame pacing issues so would definitely see an improvement.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bloodbourne has a locked framerate of 30 FPS but barely reaches it and has frame pacing issues so would definitely see an improvement.

Early reports on that NeoGaf thread is that Bloodborne is smoother.

Here is an Evil Within comparison:

Also:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229649535&postcount=1037
    Bloodborne loading times are noticeably better from comparing with and without Boost mode, hadn't progressed far with my current character so couldn't really get into any demanding scenes to compare performance.

zvhLegRrWl9Be.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well that's good. The framerate and load times were so god awful originally that it put me off playing the game and I ended up playing Dark Souls 2 on PC instead.

Hopefully it fixes the multiplayer as well, that drops to single digits a lot and rarely reaches past 15 fps and pretty much killed the online component of Bloodbourne since it was so broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Atomicjuicer0

I need this on my pro for batman and mirrors edge right now.

Wish I was in the beta

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I need this on my pro for batman and mirrors edge right now.

Wish I was in the beta

I think they beta with the stickers was better, lots of confused people not seeing what was posted by the beta elites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, this boost thingy really got me intrested in ps4 pro. Got birthday in march, so might get it for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just wondering, will there be some other versions of ps4 around march? Like white one or something? Maybe even some sort of deals.

Just wondering, will there be some other versions of ps4 around march? Like white one or something? Maybe even some sort of deals.

There's a white slim. No new kinds of pro yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Lads how long do these Betas normally last ?
    When can we expect to see it released proper ? (I'm not in the Beta, but want it, hence asking)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Lads how long do these Betas normally last ?
    When can we expect to see it released proper ? (I'm not in the Beta, but want it, hence asking)

A month usually. There are a few games (Soma for example) that crash under Boost Mode. Hopefully Sony can fix this on the OS side for the full release of the OS update.
    Sony have also not committed to including this in the final release but as only a handful of games seem to crash they should surely be confident with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Well right now for me Tomb Raider is crashing without boost. Can only imagine it will get worse with that addition.

Taltos wrote: »
    Well right now for me Tomb Raider is crashing without boost. Can only imagine it will get worse with that addition.

Tomb Raider is Pro enhanced so the boost functionality does not apply to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Doh!
    Maybe that's my issue, will dig into the settings to see if I can reduce the output somewhere. Was getting some juddering but last night it just gave up the ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So....Digital Foundry tested Boost Mode on games like Bloodborne...DS3...and the watcher 3.....and the difference is....
    barely noticeable at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So....Digital Foundry tested Boost Mode on games like Bloodborne...DS3...and the watcher 3.....and the difference is....
    barely noticeable at all
    There is quite a bit of hilarity in many people calling it beast mode.

Advertisement