Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Have you all found the pro worth it, I was looking at getting one, just no idea if its worth upgrading yet or should I wait till the summer or even later?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Unless you have a 4K TV or are using the VR I wouldn't be in a rush. Saying that I'm loving mine...
    But I am using extra fans to keep it chilled as its in a tight cabinet with little airflow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I have a 4k but dont really play a crazy amount of games. Fifa mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

irishman86 wrote: »
    I have a 4k but dont really play a crazy amount of games. Fifa mostly

While FIFA does make use of the Pro and outputs at native 4K, if you do not play a lot of games, I'm not sure an iterative console is really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I wonder when we will see the next rev of the pro hardware? I will probably pick one up when the next revision is released as it will surely run quieter and cooler then the launch version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I wonder when we will see the next rev of the pro hardware? I will probably pick one up when the next revision is released as it will surely run quieter and cooler then the launch version.

It took 3 years for a base slim model, so say another 3 years for a slim pro. By that time the PS4 pro will be replaced by a gen 9 console or Scorpio counterpart and console gen 8 will be over.

My Pro runs quieter than my launch base model and throws out enough heat that I don't need the heating on in my room anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Bought some USB powered fans that are keeping mine nice and chilly, even after several hours yesterday it was cool to the touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone know when Joe Public will see the 4.50 system update on their Pro?
    Any word on if Sony will keep in the boost mode?

It took 3 years for a base slim model, so say another 3 years for a slim pro. By that time the PS4 pro will be replaced by a gen 9 console or Scorpio counterpart and console gen 8 will be over.

My Pro runs quieter than my launch base model and throws out enough heat that I don't need the heating on in my room anymore.

I'm not on about the slim version! They rev'd the board and components a number of times from launch model CUH-10XXA which I bought which they rev'd to CUH-11XXA in 2014 and the CUH-12XX "C Chassis" which launched in 2015 which used less power and runs a hell of lot quieter then my Launch model.
    So I expect that Sony will release a rev of the Pro chassis which is coded as CUH-7000 probably around the Scorpio release and I suspect they will add in an Ultra HD Blu-Ray player and reduce power consumption and production costs.
    Until then I'll hold off as I've read too many people complaining about the fan noise and I'll wait until we see Sony's next hardware rev of the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

I'm not on about the slim version! They rev'd the board and components a number of times from launch model CUH-10XXA which I bought which they rev'd to CUH-11XXA in 2014 and the CUH-12XX "C Chassis" which launched in 2015 which used less power and runs a hell of lot quieter then my Launch model.
    So I expect that Sony will release a rev of the Pro chassis which is coded as CUH-7000 probably around the Scorpio release and I suspect they will add in an Ultra HD Blu-Ray player and reduce power consumption and production costs.
    Until then I'll hold off as I've read too many people complaining about the fan noise and I'll wait until we see Sony's next hardware rev of the Pro.

Weird as my pro is definitely quieter than my launch day PS4. In fact the noisiest part is when a disk is spinning full speed (i've mostly downloaded games from PSN now though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There probably won't be a revision until around August to October time, I'd imagine.
    The current SKU is only on sale for the past 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

marcbrophy wrote: »
    There probably won't be a revision until around August to October time, I'd imagine.
    The current SKU is only on sale for the past 4 months.

How will we be able tell when it is actually out and would it be luck of draw whether you got the revised model with older SKUs probable on the market for a couple months after the newer model comes out?

Redo91 wrote: »
    How will we be able tell when it is actually out and would it be luck of draw whether you got the revised model with older SKUs probable on the market for a couple months after the newer model comes out?

There will be an updated sku once Microsoft finalise project Scorpio's specs I would think an updated pro will have an updated Ultra hd drive and they will optimise design and reduce cost of components.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

There will be an updated sku once Microsoft finalise project Scorpio's specs I would think an updated pro will have an updated Ultra hd drive and they will optimise design and reduce cost of components.

Cheers. I might be tempted to upgrade from a launch model towards the end of this year/early next year. Hopefully it's sorted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What do you mean an ultra HD drive? An SSD?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What do you mean an ultra HD drive? An SSD?

Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive

Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive

The Xbox One S already has one so if Sony were going to put one in the Pro they probably would have had it in it from the start.

I've only used the 4K Blueray in my One S on standard Blueray films and even then not that often. It's nice to have it there but it's not 100% necessary.

The Xbox One S already has one so if Sony were going to put one in the Pro they probably would have had it in it from the start.

I've only used the 4K Blueray in my One S on standard Blueray films and even then not that often. It's nice to have it there but it's not 100% necessary.

I'm talking about competing with Project Scorpio which potentially will better specs then the pro, Sony left the Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive out to keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's far more likely that a 4k bluray player won't come to PS4 as part of this generation, and will instead be kept for PS5.

I'm talking about competing with Project Scorpio which potentially will better specs then the pro, Sony left the Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive out to keep costs down.

If the rumoured specs are true it'll be a very big step up over the the Pro.

I think what we're seeing now though is a step away from traditional generations where Microsoft and Sony release a new console in a short space of time from each other. I'd love to see it where Scorpio release in 2017 and Sony release late 2018/early 2019.

This would give gamers the best option to have the latest and greatest tech every 18 months to 2 years.

I'm lucky enough that I have both a PS4 and a One S (brother has a Pro at his house) and I've the money saved for a Scorpio. Now if Sony release the PS5 late 2018 or early 2019 I'd buy that at launch as well as it gives me time to save for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is there really any point in picking them all up if they just play the same games though?

Im all for new tech without the big waits,but if the new tech doesnt have new games and experiences i dont really see the point. Although i do upgrade my PC regularly so maybe im just talking out of my arse...

Like it would make sense for me to pick up scorpio as i only have a vanilla PS4,but cant brimg myself to get a pro as it only has the same games as my current PS4

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is there really any point in picking them all up if they just play the same games though?

Im all for new tech without the big waits,but if the new tech doesnt have new games and experiences i dont really see the point. Although i do upgrade my PC regularly so maybe im just talking out of my arse...

Like it would make sense for me to pick up scorpio as i only have a vanilla PS4,but cant brimg myself to get a pro as it only has the same games as my current PS4

Well I bought the PS4 for Bloodborne and Uncharted. I use my brother's account so it's handy for me. I want to pick up Nioh next as I was a massive Ninja Gaiden fan.

I play my multiplayer games on Xbox because I've friends on that from the MW2 days. I also loved Halo, Ori and Sunset Overdrive. I've played a little of ReCore and am enjoying that as well.

Well I bought the PS4 for Bloodborne and Uncharted. I use my brother's account so it's handy for me. I want to pick up Nioh next as I was a massive Ninja Gaiden fan.

I play my multiplayer games on Xbox because I've friends on that from the MW2 days. I also loved Halo, Ori and Sunset Overdrive. I've played a little of ReCore and am enjoying that as well.

Thats cool,had a 360 and a PS3 for similar reasons.

My point was more though that the console refreshes only play the same games as the original console from that gen,id like to see them seperate themselves a bit more. Newer hardware having limitations imposed on it as the games have to run on the original console is just wasteful to me. Id prefer to see the gap between gens shorten but also id like the jumps to be more meaningful than this current refresh. So going out and buying each one as there released to play the same games doesnt make sense to me. Each to his own though,just my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Rocket League finally got a Pro patch yesterday. The framerate difference on the title screen was literally the first thing I noticed.

Played it on a 43" 1080p screen. The down-sampled 4K image definitely provided some much needed anti-aliasing solution for a game that was previously full of jaggies on the console version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Thats cool,had a 360 and a PS3 for similar reasons.

My point was more though that the console refreshes only play the same games as the original console from that gen,id like to see them seperate themselves a bit more. Newer hardware having limitations imposed on it as the games have to run on the original console is just wasteful to me.....
    As a PC gamer you should know that this doesn't happen. Are games gimped on a GTX 1080 because many people have a GTX 970... No.

Developers make games play across a wide variety of PC builds. In this case its even more straightforward because they only have 2 builds to target when developing games for PlayStation and 2 builds for Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

I highly doubt there will be a PS4 Pro released with a UHD drive. As said above if it was going to be in it would of been in from the start. If it comes at all it'll be left until the PS5

As a PC gamer you should know that this doesn't happen. Are games gimped on a GTX 1080 because many people have a GTX 970... No.

Developers make games play across a wide variety of PC builds. In this case its even more straightforward because they only have 2 builds to target when developing games for PlayStation and 2 builds for Xbox.

If you re read my post,my point was that there will be no bump to anything other than graphics,with the jump from PS3 to 4 we saw fidelity increase but also other things,world size,objects on screen etc,just look at the games that dropped previous gen support to allow them to push ahead with stuff that wasnt available to them on previous gens. The pro and scorpio are basically just gpu upgrades on the original that will run the same games,which is not really a leap forward in any way other than graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

If you re read my post,my point was that there will be no bump to anything other than graphics,with the jump from PS3 to 4 we saw fidelity increase but also other things,world size,objects on screen etc,just look at the games that dropped previous gen support to allow them to push ahead with stuff that wasnt available to them on previous gens. The pro and scorpio are basically just gpu upgrades on the original that will run the same games,which is not really a leap forward in any way.
    So people should still upgrade their PC which hasn't seen any sort of massive leap in years yet not purchase a PS4 Pro/PS5 or Scorpio because they'll only provide better graphics.

As you pointed out above. You regularly update your PC. I do this also so why should a console be different now that they all run on the same architecture.

So people should still upgrade their PC which hasn't seen any sort of massive leap in years yet not purchase a PS4 Pro/PS5 or Scorpio because they'll only provide better graphics.

As you pointed out above. You regularly update your PC. I do this also so why should a console be different now that they all run on the same architecture.

Firstly,where did i mention PS5? Id expect the PS5 to be a big jump from the PS4,not an iterative update like the Pro. Scorpio will also be iterative,its also mostly just a gpu upgrade from what i see. Pro and Scorpio will always be limited to games that can run on the OG PS4 and One,if you dont think thats a handicap your not seeing whats right in front of you.

If you think PC hasnt progressed in the last 10 years you havent either been using a PC that long or its lost on you. PC is a totally different beast to console. Try running a demanding modern game on a mid range system from 5 years ago. Games on PC push the envelope all the time thus depending on what you play necessitates upgrades more often than console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Firstly,where did i mention PS5? Id expect the PS5 to be a big jump from the PS4,not an iterative update like the Pro. Scorpio will also be iterative,its also mostly just a gpu upgrade from what i see. Pro and Scorpio will always be limited to games that can run on the OG PS4 and One,if you dont think thats a handicap your not seeing whats right in front of you.

If you think PC hasnt progressed in the last 10 years you havent either been using a PC that long or its lost on you. PC is a totally different beast to console. Try running a demanding modern game on a mid range system from 5 years ago. Games on PC push the envelope all the time thus depending on what you play necessitates upgrades more often than console.

Agreed, and it's the same as I've been saying about the Scorpio since it was announced. By saying all Xbox One games will work on both Scorpio and the launch Xbox One, it means console upgrades like the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio may offer better graphics and framerates, but they will always be tied to the launch PS4/XB1 architecture. Until a next-gen console (PS5/XB?) is released which may have backwards compatibility, but won't be limited by what PS4/XB1 launch models are capable of.

PC is different altogether due to the ability to upgrade different components at different times and games dictating what machine specs are required to play it rather than all games being playable on the console it's released on. There is no comparison to be made in that regard.

Advertisement