Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Skerries wrote: »
    Zavvi has a price of €423.49

The PS5 would probably be out by the time they deliver it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Thats converting from the pound though. Unless Gamestop decide to be dicks, its €400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

It was rather bizarre being shown 4K footage via a 1080p stream.

It reminds me of seeing an advert for DVD technology on a rental VHS cassette. I remember my brother and I being amazed at the quality of the image and the crispness of the sound.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    The PS5 would probably be out by the time they deliver it though.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh..........Shots fired by Xenji :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Pickpocket wrote: »
    It was rather bizarre being shown 4K footage via a 1080p stream.

It reminds me of seeing an advert for DVD technology on a rental VHS cassette. I remember my brother and I being amazed at the quality of the image and the crispness of the sound.

It was odd alright, but I don't think YT or Twitch allow 4k streaming yet. It was just for the benefit of the audience in the building!

Here's a 30 sec reveal clip in 4k from the event below. They did say there'd be more 4k VoD content after the event, but I can't seem to find it yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAkMz6ClL4s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Glad I didn't watch that live. Would've been asleep by the time the Pro was actually revealed.

Decent price, I suppose, but will stick with what I have.

And what was with the non reactions? I know the slim was already leaked, but they could've reacted a wee bit. Then the Pro announcement and reveal. Again no reaction. And wasn't that the first Mass Effect Andromeda gamepley that people have seen? Think they just got one wee "whoop".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

emmetkenny wrote: »
    On the lack of a 4k Blue Ray drive I think it is a bit of an oversight but the lack of an optical out is a bigger mistake in my opinion. My soundbar and headset use optical out, as I imagine a lot of others people equipment use.

It has optical out:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-07-sony-announces-playstation-4-pro

Eurogamer confirmed the specs. The PS4 Slim has not optical out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just seen that it's been confirmed that there is no 4K Blu-Ray support. Yep, Sony's 4K console, does not support 4K Blu-Ray, a format owned by Sony.

Mental.

I go and build a gaming PC, then picked up a PS4 and I just couldn't get over the convenience of a console. Throw in the fact that console gaming power & graphics contiue to improve and I don't think I can justify forking out €600-700 euro for a quality GPU anymore. So I'm the complete opposite to you, I'm moving away from PC gaming and swearing allegiance to PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

wes wrote: »
    It has optical out:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-07-sony-announces-playstation-4-pro

Eurogamer confirmed the specs. The PS4 Slim has not optical out.

So Sony announced a PS4 slim? And a PS Pro? Is the slim comparable to the the One S and the Pro to Scorpio then?

Did they announce the price of the Slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So Sony announced a PS4 slim? And a PS Pro? Is the slim comparable to the the One S and the Pro to Scorpio then?

The Slim is the new base model PS4. €300

The Pro is the counterpart to the One S but the Pro is more powerful for PSVR. €400

Sony have not announced a counterpart to the Scorpio yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Slim is the new base model PS4. €300

The Pro is the counterpart to the One S but the Pro is more powerful for PSVR. €400

Sony have not announced a counterpart to the Scorpio yet.

Hmmm I might pick up a slim to play Bloodborne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Essentially yes (with a few features separating them). The Pro has potentially less than half the power of the Scorpio.

A few months ago I was full on for buying a Neo and the PSVR. I still have an Amazon preorder thats shipping on the 18th of next month. Thing is, there is nothing that's selling me on either now. I'm really into the potential of VR, but the scorpios rumoured setup sounds far more convincing. Sony haven't given me one solid reason to buy. On the console: I don't have a 4K tv and even if I had the up scaling doesn't really seem that great a feature. In general I find the ps4 graphics pretty good. I'm still rocking the 500gb drive which is a balls and could have persuaded (out of laziness) myself if they had a 2tb drive. But I'm aware they needed to sell it at 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Lads... There seems to be a bit of confusion here . This new console is here to better power the VR headset when it arrives . It is not here to play 4k Blu-rays . The intent was always to better play VR games as the old PS4 is not up to it.

At least that is what I was lead to believe the intention of this console was meant to be , and it is ... isn't it ?

They never said it was the power up PSVR, although I'm sure it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I go and build a gaming PC, then picked up a PS4 and I just couldn't get over the convenience of a console. Throw in the fact that console gaming power & graphics contiue to improve and I don't think I can justify forking out €600-700 euro for a quality GPU anymore. So I'm the complete opposite to you, I'm moving away from PC gaming and swearing allegiance to PS.

I'm obviously biased on the subject. I have a PC and ps4. but what is with the 600-700 for a quality graphics card:D. Thats ignorant.

A gtx 970. second hand will run about 200 euro. New its 260 ish.

That shats on anything Sony coming up with for the next 5 years. Hell thats less than the price of ps+ in that five years.

The console is cheaper here than the UK, same as the PS4, One and One S at launch.

The UK get screwed on hardware prices but get better game prices.

Amazon UK won't ship the Pro to Northern Ireland so you can't use Parcel Motel to buy from them anyway. Don't know why yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Has anyone seen any Pro + VR bundles? Kinda surprised that wasn't pushed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Has anyone seen any Pro + VR bundles? Kinda surprised that wasn't pushed more.

VR is out in October and Pro in November, so it's likely they didn't want to announce bundles as it'd put people off buying VR until the Pro came out. So I'd say they're just going to sell them separate, maybe offer bundle packs from early next year onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lads... There seems to be a bit of confusion here . This new console is here to better power the VR headset when it arrives . It is not here to play 4k Blu-rays . The intent was always to better play VR games as the old PS4 is not up to it.

At least that is what I was lead to believe the intention of this console was meant to be , and it is ... isn't it ?

Yes and no. Yes part of the purpose of the PS4Pro is to play VR at better framerates and resolutions as it'll make for a much better and smoother VR experience.

However, if that's the only advantage of the console, you limit yourself to only people buying VR buying the PS4Pro. If you want to try and convince people to upgrade to it (both existing PS4 users and XB1/PC who may be on the fence), you have to offer all you can to convince them it's worth buying. The 4k streaming and upscaling certainly goes towards that, but 4k bluray was something a lot of people wanted and would have convinced a lot of people to make the jump. It's where technology is right now and was something that was almost taken as a given. Not having it could make a fair few people hold off or go for the Xbox1S (which has it and also upscales to 4k, though isn't as powerful as the Pro), or wait for the Scorpio (which will be native 4k, more powerful than Pro and will likely have the 4k bluray drive too).

It's a big enough thing to leave out for a lot of people.

• Advertisement

They never said it was the power up PSVR, although I'm sure it will.

Of course they did.
    It was one of the 4 points that that guy gave us a lecture on :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Of course they did.
    It was one of the 4 points that that guy gave us a lecture on :)

Alot of people seemed to nod off when Cerny was on explaining all that last night.:D

He had a real go to sleep bed time story voice thing going on.:eek:

Did he? I started looking on Neogaf on my phone when he started talking in that boring voice, so I probably missed something. Surely thats not the prime intention of the thing/ I was referring to before it was announced kind of I don't know what I'm saying.

PS4 Pro - €400 - November 10th, Pre order it in these places

3max.jpg

https://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%204/Games/58867/playstation-4-pro-1tb-console

http://www.zavvi.com/ps4-hardware/sony-playstation-4-pro-1tb-console/11335915.html?widget_id=361121

http://www.game.co.uk/en/ps4-pro-1tb-1622072/?cm_re=home-_-Banner0-_-PlaystationMeeting

PS4 slim 500gb out September 15th (or the 16th for us plebs getting our game releases on a Friday, 1TB on the 23rd I think, can't find the right pre order links yet.

Yep, 4 points to discuss on the aplicability of the new tech, and 3 were about your telly choices :D

PS4-resolutions.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Just pre ordered from GameStop.
    Gonna give my launch day PS4 to my sister as an early Christmas present so it's the perfect excuse.
    I'm hoping for a framerate boost from Bloodborne. As a first party title, it's the least Sony can do. That game would be extra amazing at 60fps.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Yep, 4 points to discuss on the aplicability of the new tech, and 3 were about your telly choices :D

PS4-resolutions.png

Fair enough, my bad. T'was very boring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-three-hours-with-playstation-4-pro
    But the key takeaway is this - while the PlayStation 4 Pro GPU lacks the horsepower to render out challenging content at native 4K, the presentation we've seen on a number of titles clearly shows a worthwhile, highly desirable increase in fidelity over 1080p - one that does put a 4K screen to good use. Switching between full HD and checkerboard 4K, the increase in detail is simply stunning.

That sounds great but...
    Going forward, the challenge remains. PS4 Pro will offer boosts to those with 1080p screens, but the impact will be limited and the big gain really is in 4K and HDR. We've noted some apathy towards 4K gaming but based on today's showing, the results are mostly very impressive. What we saw today is an upgrade worth having, but the reality is stark - right now, you're not just looking at a console upgrade, but one that practically demands a new display purchase too.

So for most people with existing 1080p tv's, any advantage is going to come down to whether the developers give options ala Crystal Dynamics:
    Rise of the Tomb Raider has three different modes in the PS4 Pro version only: a 4K30 presentation with HDR support that strikes an impressive balance between visual features and resolution, a 1080p30 mode that ramps up quality settings to the max and an unlocked frame-rate mode for 1080p that sees performance vary between 40-60fps (we assume that this will be down to CPU bottlenecks), rather like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on the standard PlayStation 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I have a 4k tv but not HDR and have the PSVR pre-ordered, do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It absolutely baffles me how any company with the resources that sony, microsoft etc have at there fingertips, constantly bungle messaging and presentations.

A casual scan of a few forums I frequent shows mass confusion over the whole slim / psvr / pro models and what each actually does and is required for.

Its the same every year, some guy not used to being in front of crowds or cameras goes in front of the audience and gives a long wandering spiel about this and that, and then we have a month of mixed messaging, press releases and clarifications afterwards.

get your sh1t together people.

Advertisement