Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I have a 4k tv but not HDR and have the PSVR pre-ordered, do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade for me?

Well it'll still look better yes. Up to yourself if the upgrade is worth it or not.

*sits here with 4K HDR TV :cool:*

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Is there a price for the 1TB slim?

Is there a price for the 1TB slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

PS4 Pro - €400 - November 10th, Pre order it in these places

Cheers for the links. Pre ordered PS4 Pro at Gamestop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'm still gonna wait till Argos have the deals for a pro .

• Advertisement

I'm surprised they didn't try to get it out with Call Of Duty IW if they're making such a big deal out of it. No bundle yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sony have not announced a counterpart to the Scorpio yet.

You expecting a PS4 Pro Plus to be announced to counter the Scorpio?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CastorTroy wrote: »
    You expecting a PS4 Pro Plus to be announced to counter the Scorpio?

Yes, I'd be amazed if they don't. It's a big gamble if they stick with the Pro and then fall out of lock step with MS.

The difference in cross platform games will become night and day very quickly. The Scorpio is 30% more powerful than the Pro on paper right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The only problem there is they will end up fragmenting the PS4 userbase even more with 3 version of the PS4 - the Slim, Pro and this Pro Plus (presuming the existing PS4 SKUs are phased out).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The only problem there is they will end up fragmenting the PS4 userbase even more with 3 version of the PS4 - the Slim, Pro and this Pro Plus (presuming the existing PS4 SKUs are phased out).

True and MS have the One, One S and will be Scorpio. At E3 they said all 3 will be supported as they co exist alongside each other and no one was/is being left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

It's a bit strange how people are comparing this to a console that won't even be out for over a year.

PS4 Pro will be the most powerful console on the market for a year so effictively Sony have jumped ahead of Microsoft here and yet people are using the same argument that Scorpio will trump PS4 Pro when it arrrives and giving credit to Microsoft by beating Sony to the punch.
    Scorpio isn't out yet!

Scorpio will be the strongest console available in Nov 2017 but thats a year away. I can see Sony counter the release of Scorpio by announcing PS5 is in development much like MS did this year with Scorpio. This will have the same effect on gamers; will I wait for Sony or jump in with Scorpio now. Looks to me like we are entering a cycle where each console will flip / flop as being the more powerful for shorter periods of time.

Strange times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Batesy wrote: »
    It's a bit strange how people are comparing this to a console that won't even be out for over a year.

PS4 Pro will be the most powerful console on the market for a year so effictively Sony have jumped ahead of Microsoft here and yet people are using the same argument that Scorpio will trump PS4 Pro when it arrrives and giving credit to Microsoft by beating Sony to the punch.
    Scorpio isn't out yet!

Scorpio will be the strongest console available in Nov 2017 but thats a year away. I can see Sony counter the release of Scorpio by announcing PS5 is in development much like MS did this year with Scorpio. This will have the same effect on gamers; will I wait for Sony or jump in with Scorpio now. Looks to me like we are entering a cycle where each console will flip / flop as being the more powerful for shorter periods of time.

Strange times indeed.

Agreed. And the crux of it is MS have kind of snookered themselves a bit imo by declaring that all games playable on the Scorpio will be playable on the original launch XB1. If Sony come out with a proper PS5 in 2018, MS will either have to jump forward to their next-gen too, or release bigger games on Scorpio that the XB1 won't be able to handle, thereby reversing their XB1/XB1S/XBScorpio compatibility.

Once games get to the point where map size, AI etc requirements can be met by the Scorpio and Pro but not by the launch consoles, Sony and MS are going to have to properly go for their next-gen consoles. I don't think the Sony V MS fight will center on Scorpio V Pro, they're both just stop-gap upgrades until their true next-gen consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Be interesting to see how Sony's and MS' plans affect sales, it's getting confusing for gamers like ourselves not to mind more casual gamers.

Will many bite and pick up the Pro or will many sit on the fence for a bit and see how things unfold?

I sounds like an old fogey but I would prefer the previous generations where it was simpler as to what to buy into.

I for one wouldn't mind sluggish sales of the new offering, might give both Sony and MS a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Be interesting to see how Sony's and MS' plans affect sales, it's getting confusing for gamers like ourselves not to mind more casual gamers.

Will many bite and pick up the Pro or will many sit on the fence for a bit and see how things unfold?

I sounds like an old fogey but I would prefer the previous generations where it was simpler as to what to buy into.

I for one wouldn't mind sluggish sales of the new offering, might give both Sony and MS a kick up the arse.

Was just thinking this. My Dad is a bit of a nerd but knows I'm a fairly clued-in gamer and was asking opinions on the PS4 because my brother is looking for one for Xmas. I told him to wait until after this conference but I'm not really sure what to tell him now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. And the crux of it is MS have kind of snookered themselves a bit imo by declaring that all games playable on the Scorpio will be playable on the original launch XB1. If Sony come out with a proper PS5 in 2018, MS will either have to jump forward to their next-gen too, or release bigger games on Scorpio that the XB1 won't be able to handle, thereby reversing their XB1/XB1S/XBScorpio compatibility.

But will gamer's tolerate that? As in, is backwards compatibility no longer an optional extra. Is it an expected feature now?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

quad_red wrote: »
    But will gamer's tolerate that? As in, is backwards compatibility no longer an optional extra. Is it an expected feature now?

I'd be shocked if Sony/MS didn't allow backwards compatibility on their next-gen consoles though. At this point there's absolutely no reason not to, and they'll catch a lot of sh*t if they don't.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

quad_red wrote: »

I'm pretty sure BC will be standard from now on. The idea of 100% separate generations is dead. That's how it looks things are going to me anyway and if it is it's only a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Cheers for the links. Pre ordered PS4 Pro at Gamestop :)

After some thought i preordered too. It's says i can collect from 23/3/2017 :eek:

Surely a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

After some thought i preordered too. It's says i can collect from 23/3/2017 :eek:

Surely a mistake?

Yeah, mine says the same, I'd say we'll be OK for November though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

As someone with a PS4 since launch and a big ass 64inch 1080p top of the range plasma (3 years old and that I wont be upgrading for quite some time) I'm unsure what to make of lasts nights reveal. On one hand its more powerful as expected but seems to be more geared towards HDR and up-scaling to 4K. Neither of which my tv can handle. The boost to 1080p users like myself seems minimal - faster refresh rates seems about it.

I was all up for upgrading to the Neo/Pro but to be honest until I have a new 4k HDR tv I'm not sure if I see the point and seeing as I don't plan on buying a new tv in the next few years the PS5 will more likely be out by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

So any suggestions on a reasonably priced HDR TV?

Harvey Norman have this one on offer at the moment but a quick look at reviews online seem to suggest that the HDR tech in it is somewhat lacking.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/sony-49-led-tv-kd49x8307csu.html

Heres a link to the techradar review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/sony-kd-49x8307c-1306159/review

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

weiland79 wrote: »

Harvey Norman have this one on offer at the moment but a quick look at reviews online seem to suggest that the HDR tech in it is somewhat lacking.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/sony-49-led-tv-kd49x8307csu.html

Heres a link to the techradar review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/sony-kd-49x8307c-1306159/review

Yeah you wouldn't get HDR from that TV. The panel bit depth is only 8 bit. You'd want 10 bit to get the billions of colours to molest your eyes.

Here's the TV I have my eye on to get in time for Scorpio, hoping for a 1000 euro drop by then;

http://www.pcworld.ie/product/samsung-ue55ks8000-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-55-led-tv/330983/404.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm obviously biased on the subject. I have a PC and ps4. but what is with the 600-700 for a quality graphics card:D. Thats ignorant.

Ignorant? No it isn't, it was a personal preference of mine. When I'd build a rig, I'd always fork out on a top tier card just to future proof it. Trying out the PS4 just proved to me that I can enjoy gaming without the need for a high end PC GPU. Throw in the fact that Playstation's graphics continue to improve, eased my transition. I was actually going to pick up a 980Ti and try some PC gaming again, but the emergence of the PS4K has knocked that on the head. Integrated graphics will be the eventually death knell of the GPU, especially as they improve in quality and performance. I'd imagine that the PS5 will have such capabilities and will be able to rival the high end graphic capabilities we currently see on PC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

weiland79 wrote: »

From Eurogamer:
    Digital Foundry: the best 4K TVs for HDR gaming

I have the model down from the LG they talk about on there (UH770V), and it does the job for normal gaming so far, and I reckon it will have similar input lag to the UH850 model above it. There is one issue with the UH770V, in that its local dimming is really bad, and I turned it off on every preset.

Anyway pre-ordered the PS4 Pro in gamestop. The HDR update should give us a nice preview of what we are going to get. I watched some of the 4K trailers on Youtube and they looked great, and I imagine it will look a lot better on the PS4 Pro.

PS4 pro FAQ!

Q: What is PS4 Pro?
    PS4 Pro is a high-end version of PS4 that is capable of outputting 4K graphics, HDR support, smoother and more stable framerates, and 4K video streaming. Upon its launch, PS4 Pro will make supported PS4 games look better and run more smoothly, while giving developers an upgraded toolset to create even richer, more detailed game worlds. How these powerful new tools are used is up to individual developers and the experience they are creating. You may have seen some of these examples during PlayStation Meeting 2016.
    It’s important to note that PS4 Pro is not another generation of console. It won’t make your current PS4 games obsolete, and it won’t split the PS4 player base. PS4 Pro is very much a part of the PS4 family.

Q: Will PS4 Pro have separate or exclusive games?
    There will not be any PS4 Pro-exclusive games. Because PS4 Pro and the standard PS4 are members of the same family, both systems will be fully compatible with all past, present, and future PS4 titles, including PlayStation VR. All PS4 games are PS4 Pro games, and vice-versa.
    Following PS4 Pro’s launch on November 10 in North America, virtually all new PS4 game releases moving forward will be able to take advantage of PS4 Pro capabilities on day one, or in some cases shortly after launch via a downloadable update. Some titles previously released will be updated to take advantage of PS4 Pro features, including Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, The Last of Us Remastered, Infamous Second Son, Shadow of Mordor, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and more.

Q: Will PS4 Pro require a 4K TV?
    No. PS4 Pro can display much higher resolutions than the standard PS4 when using a 4K TV. But if you own an HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p), PS4 Pro can still improve your gaming experience.

Q: What benefits does PS4 Pro provide when played on a non-4K HDTV?
    PS4 Pro offers benefits even if you play on a HDTV that isn’t 4K. Depending on how the developer chooses to use the increased processing power, games with PS4 Pro support are able to render higher or more consistent framerates, increased environmental and character model detail, improved overall visual quality, and other related visual enhancements.

Q: How does PS4 Pro compare to the standard PS4?
    PS4 Pro is significantly more powerful than the standard PS4 model. PS4 Pro’s advanced graphics processor unit incorporates many features from AMD’s latest “Polaris” architecture, as well as some fully custom hardware innovations, and is considerably more powerful than the GPU included in the standard PS4.
    All in all, this increase in processing power enables developers to tap into far more demanding visual features for PS4 Pro owners, including smoother or more stable framerates, support for 4K rendering, advanced graphics features, and more.

Read it all here - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

PS4 slim Call Of Duty/Watchdogs Bundle!

28917093243_2b66f1eff0_b.jpg

29539663215_5bb0667cc6_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This is highly disappointing :

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/8/12846740/playstation-pro-won-t-buy-you-much-of-an-online-advantage

PlayStation requires that all online multiplayer games deliver the same experience to players whether they’re using the PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 4 Pro, Christian Gyrling, lead developer at Naughty Dog, told Polygon during a press event last night.

Chief among that requirement is that the frame rate for an online mulitplayer game has to be the same on both systems.

"Frame rate wise, controller wise, lag, all of that will be identical."`

That said, it doesn’t mean that the Pro version of online games will look identical.

"We’re not capping the frame rate," Gyrling said. "Instead what we’re doing is making use of all of the performance of the PS4 Pro to increase resolution. So we’re not leaving anything on the table, we’re increasing things as much as we can while maintaining the same smooth frame rate and adding visual fidelity."

Currently released/to be released soon stuff thats gonna be upgraded with Pro! All games from Late September/Early October have to come with pro upgrades, so don't worry about it.

Uncharted 4
    The Last of Us Remastered
    Infamous: Second Son
    Infamous: First Light
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    Killing Floor 2
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    Paragon
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
    Elder Scrolls Online
    Futuridium
    (F1 2016 - Codemasters investigating PS4 Pro patch)

Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan will have it's Tokyo Game Show Conference next week (13th September), where they will announce more games to get pro patches there. So stay tuned.

14233018_10157288318830062_4869265940554559865_n.jpg?oh=549c4d4bd51a567a23ceeb65e2d4a8da&oe=583F83C4

PS4 500gb is currently worth 180 credit, for reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Fieldog wrote: »
    This is highly disappointing :

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/8/12846740/playstation-pro-won-t-buy-you-much-of-an-online-advantage

PlayStation requires that all online multiplayer games deliver the same experience to players whether they’re using the PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 4 Pro, Christian Gyrling, lead developer at Naughty Dog, told Polygon during a press event last night.

Chief among that requirement is that the frame rate for an online mulitplayer game has to be the same on both systems.

Well, it make sense, in that it was that or separate the 2 like MS are doing between XBox one and PC players. It would be nice to have the option on the pro to play against other players who have a pro, and the option to play against PS4 slim players, but have a lower frame rate as result.

Having said that I imagine there afraid of fracturing the player base, so probably why no such solution is being implemented.

Advertisement