Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TeflonRon

PS4 500gb is currently worth 180 credit, for reference.

Did you receive that in an email? Check Gamestops website (shudder) but couldn't find anything about the offer. Any list of the game required with trade-in? I have 500gb and might look into the offer..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

TeflonRon wrote: »
    Did you receive that in an email? Check Gamestops website (shudder) but couldn't find anything about the offer. Any list of the game required with trade-in? I have 500gb and might look into the offer..

That was an email, its on the facebook page as well. Can't find any copy of this list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

14233018_10157288318830062_4869265940554559865_n.jpg?oh=549c4d4bd51a567a23ceeb65e2d4a8da&oe=583F83C4

PS4 500gb is currently worth 180 credit, for reference.

That is a good deal actually, surprisingly fair from GameStop...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Does it not say when you trade in a 1TB console only in the green circle though? 500GB one would probably have you paying upwards of €200 knowing that crowd.

1TB plus a game. So I dunno. Unless the value of the PS4 500gb has plummeted since Monday though, you can get 225 for that alone with level 3 loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

1TB plus a game. So I dunno. Unless the value of the PS4 500gb has plummeted since Monday though, you can get 225 for that alone with level 3 loyalty.

Yeah the game too, just said it because everyone assumed straight away it was the 500gb model.

I'm tempted to trade my launch model in for probably a stupid reason: a brand new controller because my two are half-bollixed even after all the work I've done on them fixing and changing parts. Not owning a 4K TV is putting me off it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

1TB plus a game.

Knack, cause you deserve it gamestop.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Does it not say when you trade in a 1TB console only in the green circle though? 500GB one would probably have you paying upwards of €200 knowing that crowd.

I have 1TB in my console, I wonder what the game is though that they will want....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I bet they will want the ps4 with the 1 tb model number. Those that upgraded the 500gb to 1tb I wouldn't get too excited about the offer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The trade in will be new games I bet. Uncharted 4, Overwatch or something like that I'd say.

Like someone said earlier if trading in join the members thing you'll get additional trade in bonus credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have my launch one, haven't played it in ages and I don't have 4k TV. I will get it eventually, just want to see new xbox too and decide which one I'll get first.
    Though with that trade gamestop deal I am sure I won't be doing it. Its crap deal even for 1to console i cam imagine launch 500gb deal will be even more bollox.
    I better wait this time around for deals and keep original xbox one amd ps4. I got a 7 year old at home, who loves minecraft and stuff. So i better give it to her or just put it in bedroom as a second consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Damn that PS4 Pro looks ugly. Slim version looks great but unfortunately no digital audio output, sigh.

No UHD Bluray player is a disaster. It's clear Sony is under major pressure most likely caused by the PSVR and the Xbox One S.

... They'll announce the PS Agent Smith to counter Xbox Scorpio. Lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Damn that PS4 Pro looks ugly. Slim version looks great but unfortunately no digital audio output, sigh.

No Bluray player is a disaster. It's clear Sony is under major pressure most likely caused by the PSVR and the Xbox One S.

... They'll announce the PS Agent Smith to counter Xbox Scorpio. Lol.

I think you'll find it does have blu-ray - how else would it play current games.
    Disaster averted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

F1ngers wrote: »
    I think you'll find it does have blu-ray - how else would it play current games.
    Disaster averted.

I'm presuming (hoping) he meant that the PS4 Pro does not have an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Disaster averted.

LOL, UHD Bluray player. How could they be so inept not to include it in a 4K gaming console.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Seems a bit of a dumb decision alright, how much of an additional cost would it have been to add one?

I think I saw on Neogaf the saving was around $15.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seems a bit of a dumb decision alright, how much of an additional cost would it have been to add one?

When's the last time you bought a blu ray or watched one.

watched the harry potter movies recently but before that I've not been near a blu ray and I've a load. I've also not bought one in a long time. Everything I watch now is digital.

Going to guess they took a look at the usage on the PS4/PS3 recently and realaised that physical media isn't getting used that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I've recently bought a 4K HDR tv and was waiting for the Neo announcement before deciding what to do with my launch day model. Without a 4K BD drive in the Pro I think I'll just hang on to my launch model and buy a stand alone 4K BD player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Senecio wrote: »
    I've recently bought a 4K HDR tv and was waiting for the Neo announcement before deciding what to do with my launch day model. Without a 4K BD drive in the Pro I think I'll just hang on to my launch model and buy a stand alone 4K BD player

just buy an xbox one s for €300 much cheaper then a standalone player

• Advertisement

If I am buying a 4K TV I'll definitely want UHD 4K Blu-ray movies. I couldn't be arsed doing monster downloads. It will be handy to have that HD player on console.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Seeing as the 1TB PS4 Slim is €350 I reckon they are selling the Pro at a loss at €400. Adding a UHD BR drive might have pushed it into €500 territory and right into the Scorpio firing line, Sony don't want that as the Pro is set as the One S counterpart not the Scorpio.

MS are now saying the Scorpio will be a €500-600 console which makes sense.

I bet they will want the ps4 with the 1 tb model number. Those that upgraded the 500gb to 1tb I wouldn't get too excited about the offer

I have this newer model one, it was a 500gb but put my own 1TB in, I wonder will they do the transfer in shop or what's the buzz with that....

I'll have to get my bum to GameStop and find out ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Yup, figure we'll see a revision of the Pro in a year or so with the UHD drive, once manufacturing prices drop and they get a sense of uptake they'll do an incremental hardware update similar to the revisions for the 1Tb on the current console.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Fieldog wrote: »
    I have this newer model one, it was a 500gb but put my own 1TB in, I wonder will they do the transfer in shop or what's the buzz with that....

I'll have to get my bum to GameStop and find out ... :)

It'd be mostly the same as when you put your own 1TB hdd in. You back up your existing to an external hdd. Then once you've traded in your old and gotten the Pro, you then use the backup from your external to put everything onto your new Pro.

Gamestop won't do the transfer in store or anything. They wouldn't take the risk with losing people's data or even the time spent by their employees doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Varik wrote: »
    When's the last time you bought a blu ray or watched one.

watched the harry potter movies recently but before that I've not been near a blu ray and I've a load. I've also not bought one in a long time. Everything I watch now is digital.

Going to guess they took a look at the usage on the PS4/PS3 recently and realaised that physical media isn't getting used that much.

Exactly. Who the feck even buys physical media anymore?! I haven't bought dvd or blue ray for years now. I bet you that about 95% of ps4 owners never had dvd or blue ray on it ever or even if they had, it's was a rare occasion.

I think Sony did a right thing. There will be obviously people upset about it, majority of those people wouldn't even use it, but it's fun to be upset about stuff.

Now biggest issue I have with new ps4. Multilayer games will have to go as slowest machine going, to not put advantage in competitive online games. Sounds good in theory, but majority of games are online. So frames will be still at 30.

I read more about it and looks like new ps4 pro and xbox elite will be quite good for consumer, but a nightmare for developers.
    They will need to account for:

Making it to work on normal ps4
    Option of 4k ( which is upscaled not real 4k, but it looks like a really damn good looking amd actually works) for ps4 pro
    Option of 1080p 60fps ps4 pro
    Same again for xbox amd xbox elite machines.

So essentially doing 6 versions of same game, instead of 2. I won't add pc version as that's another can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Big disappointment about the pro for me is that it has the same cpu,games like GTA are never going to get to a steady 60fps with that processor.

The price was about right,anymore and it would be overpriced for what it is.

Ive no interest in it now at all,the big game they demo is mass effect and it runs at 30fps on the pro,what a waste.

Also the fact all multiplayer games will have to run at the same framerate on both consoles is just plain stupid. So ive to spend more money on a product that you are going to gimp artificially just so it can stay in the same "PS4 family".

If this is the new world after no console generations i have to say its a let down imo.

It doesn't inspire me with confidence that it is up to the developer if they'd like to add a PS4 Pro version of their game. If I am spending that kind of money I want to know that every game I buy will have a PS4 Pro version.

New releases will though from October on. It's only older stuff that might not get patched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

If it sells really well they may roll back slightly on their original statement and add an online multiplayer pro v pro option. Again though this would have to be added by developers. Yet another pain in the hole for them.

It's a real mess they find themselves in.

Advertisement