Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

I couldnt resist and preordered:-) I have my ps4 from launch day so I got it from her good value so far, I will sell it to friend add few € and become "pro" hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

EoinHef wrote: »
    Big disappointment about the pro for me is that it has the same cpu,games like GTA are never going to get to a steady 60fps with that processor.

The price was about right,anymore and it would be overpriced for what it is.

Ive no interest in it now at all,the big game they demo is mass effect and it runs at 30fps on the pro,what a waste.

Also the fact all multiplayer games will have to run at the same framerate on both consoles is just plain stupid. So ive to spend more money on a product that you are going to gimp artificially just so it can stay in the same "PS4 family".

If this is the new world after no console generations i have to say its a let down imo.

But look at it this way, if you went to buy a car and had two options for roughly the same price but one had air con and one didn't what would you buy? (Assuming both cars are roughly similar in most other ways)

Just because we wouldn't use the air con everyday doesn't mean it's not a nice option to have when we want to use it!!

PS I'm talking about the UHD 4K Blu-ray player in the One S and the Pro.

Edit: I meant to quote ShadowHearth

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They will need to account for:

Making it to work on normal ps4
    Option of 4k ( which is upscaled not real 4k, but it looks like a really damn good looking amd actually works) for ps4 pro
    Option of 1080p 60fps ps4 pro
    Same again for xbox amd xbox elite machines.

So essentially doing 6 versions of same game, instead of 2. I won't add pc version as that's another can of worms.

And hopefully NX.

This may lead to developers using PC as lead platform, which would make PC gamers happy. Since PC games have the different graphics options which devs can then just modify and lock down to 2 or 3 options for each of Pro and Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This generation has already seen a major lack of releases across all platforms, all I see from having multiple versions of the same console is the continuation of this, muddying the waters is just going to slow down releases even more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So basically in order to get the most of the pro you need a 4K tv with HDR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Yeah. Although there are still benefits on a 1080p set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah. Although there are still benefits on a 1080p set.

Have the benefits been defined though? I was expecting all games to be 1080p/60 on the pro but I havent actually seen it confirmed

It'll look nicer and the games will already faster and better. As for 1080p/60fps, I think thats down to the developers.

Also if you guys have 500gb/1TB original PS4's you wanna get a decent ish value on, the PS4 slim is out in 5 days so this week is probably a good time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

No.

The main benefit will be the performance increase over the current PS4 with the VR headset.

People seem to be forgetting this main selling point in most of the discussions that I am reading.

You will need to buy the Pro if you are getting the VR headset as the old PS4 won't cut it.

Well, I assume it has to run adequately on the OG PS4. Or I'd feel a tad ripped off. They never said 'the reason for pro is VR' or 'VR will run badly on OG PS4's' after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Jesus people, stop messing around and get rid of the original PS4. Even the new slim is a vast improvement. Get €192 on trade in so the slim costs just €107!! It's a no brainier.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

No.

The main benefit will be the performance increase over the current PS4 with the VR headset.

People seem to be forgetting this main selling point in most of the discussions that I am reading.

You will need to buy the Pro if you are getting the VR headset as the old PS4 won't cut it.

How can people forget this main selling point if it wasn't mentioned even once at the meeting last Wednesday? Sony have so far guaranteed that PSVR games will play on both at 90-120fps but with only better textures on the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Batesy wrote: »
    Jesus people, stop messing around and get rid of the original PS4. Even the new slim is a vast improvement. Get €192 on trade in so the slim costs just €107!! It's a no brainier.

Really? I didn't think much changes were made. What have they done that it's a "vast improvement"?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

How is the slim a vast improvement? It's slightly smaller, lighter and more power efficient. Thats it. Unless you plan to carry it around a lot like, where's the Gamecube style handle for the man about town? The slim is just an entry level sku for new PS4 owners. Trade for a Pro if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No.

All PSVR games will run on the stock PS4. Any demos I've tried have been on stock hardware and have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So pay another €107 for a console I already own?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm the guy who still buys lots of physical media. A number of companies like Criterion, Arrow and Eureka have ensured the Blu-Ray scene remains near essential for anybody interested in high-quality releases of classic and world cinema. Physical media boasts a range that streaming cannot even come close to. 4K Blu-Ray, if those sort of companies ever end up adopting it, will pretty much be the last word for home viewing - barring future developments, 4K will be capable of displaying pretty much every existing film at the highest possible quality given the source materials (35/70mm presentation aside, for the film enthusiasts ;)). Certainly it will unquestionably offer a superior quality 4K image to streaming, which can't even compete with physical HD media for sheer quality and consistency of image.

That said, and as somebody who thinks a 4K Blu-Ray player would undoubtedly be a welcome extra in the Xbox, I can see Sony's logic in excluding it. Blu-Ray itself never took off as anything more than an enthusiast, niche medium - and that launched well before the prevalence of easy, high-quality streaming. There is even less reason to imagine 4K discs will take off in the way HD discs never did. Even for an enthusiast audience, there's little to justify an upgrade yet, and mightn't be for a few years, if ever - at the moment, it's a nice way to watch a limited, mixed bag of blockbusters and show off your fancy new TV, but it needs further commitment to appeal to anybody beyond really committed videophiles.

So yes: I can state it's a minor disappointment there is no 4K player, and for future-proofing alone its inclusion in the Xbox is a neat bonus that could pay dividends along the line, depending how/if worthwhile companies get behind it. But its exclusion is by no means a deal-breaker either - a minor disappointment that I don't think will adversely affect the PS4 Pro's (IMO inherently limited) market potential among anybody but a very niche group who probably won't be buying for its gaming bonafides anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The other thing to say is that it's not just a case of streaming vs Blu-Ray. There will always be a demand by film enthusiasts to own the best possible quality versions of movies, and undoubtedly Sony, Criterion and others will offer higher quality buy-to-keep digital downloads in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Actually I was a going to buy a slim to replace my launch until I found out the idiots decided to cut the optical out socket thus meaning I can't use my €250 Astro headset!

For a start my PS4 sounds like a jet when playing certain games. So much so I need to use headphones at times. The slim is whisper quiet.

I'm hoping the Pro solves that problem too.

I just think €107 for the upgrade is well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

For a start my PS4 sounds like a jet when playing certain games. So much so I need to use headphones at times. The slim is whisper quiet.

Don't think the Pro will be that quiet, it has twice the graphical output of the current PS4 and it's also rated at 307 Watts of power draw on full load. That's huge for a console.

I'll be raging if it's as loud as the original. I've recently bought the One S and you'd never even know it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I'll be raging if it's as loud as the original. I've recently bought the One S and you'd never even know it's on.

The CUH-1200 models are whisper quiet as well.

Yeah, I was so close to trading in my original for that scu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Is a good example of why I'll get new ps4 neo/pro. It is a beautiful looking game but is prone to stutter/framedrop in heavy populated areas in the game.

The new console will look a bit better due to upscaling and some graphical tweaks, but will be smoother to run etc.

That's what I want and the price is reasonable for me.

I don't care about a blue ray player it's basically obsolete tech at this point, with the mass move to digital media.

It's a gamble for Sony I think. It gives them another year of dominance in terms of having most powerful console, however the risk is do they try to develop the Scorpio lvl ps4 now or wait and see the reception of Scorpio, it's a tough one.

I also get the argument of a gaming Pc but I gave up 2 years back. Steam is great and all but consoles have an ease of use which is hard to beat, and let's not be fooled, while the Pc master race is a thing on paper and tech sheets, in reality they AAA releases recently have been a mess.

All in all I'm happy enough with the announcement, but not blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Actually I was a going to buy a slim to replace my launch until I found out the idiots decided to cut the optical out socket thus meaning I can't use my €250 Astro headset!

I was all set to get the Slim PS4 and then I heard there is no optical port. Well done Sony. My €300 gaming headset is useless if I buy it so I won't be buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was all set to get the Slim PS4 and then I heard there is no optical port. Well done Sony. My €300 is useless if I buy it so I won't be buying it.

I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pcadhain wrote: »
    How can people forget this main selling point if it wasn't mentioned even once at the meeting last Wednesday? Sony have so far guaranteed that PSVR games will play on both at 90-120fps but with only better textures on the Pro.

Where are you seeing that. Most (if not all)of what I've seen has been running at 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I was all set to get the Slim PS4 ...
    J. Marston wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe.

That moment when you realise your world is not what you thought it is.

bvchup6.jpg

SJs7UpR.jpg

Have some pancakes :D

It will make everything better.

2AcdZft.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Why were you going to buy a Slim then? Why not a Pro?

Advertisement