Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro general stuff.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »
    Why were you going to buy a Slim then? Why not a Pro?

Runs hot and loud in certain games so I wanted to trade it against a Slim.

I was hoping the Pro would have more juice. Possibly a rehash of the spec to make it more powerful but unfortunately that didn't happen. I'd like a UHD Bluray player also since I am going to invest in a good 4K TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I was hoping the Pro would have more juice. Possibly a rehash of the spec to make it more powerful but unfortunately that didn't happen. I'd like a UHD Bluray player also since I am going to invest in a good 4K TV.

The Pro is twice as powerful as the current PS4s. It's the need to hold parity with current PS4s that will hold it back.

As for the UHD Bluray player, the one in the One S is not that great, very slow and some movies are very shakey and stuttery.

The is a reason the Panasonic and Samsung players are €700 and €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Runs hot and loud in certain games so I wanted to trade it against a Slim.

Slim doesn't have a UHD bluray player though. The Pro does have an optical out. And since you're going to invest in a good 4k TV, surely it's a much better fit for you than the slim was ever going to be. It may not have the specs you wanted, but it's still far more powerful than the slim and launch PS4s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Xenji wrote: »
    The CUH-1200 models are whisper quiet as well.

I have one of those models and they can get loud at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have one of those models and they can get loud at times too.

Mine has been fine, my original launch model though could sound like a jet engine at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Xenji wrote: »
    Mine has been fine, my original launch model though could sound like a jet engine at times.

Deus Ex makes mine work quite hard at times. Suppose it depends what game you've on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The last of us made mine go incredibly loud for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Exactly. Who the feck even buys physical media anymore?!

Me. I won't be streaming anything with a crappy 3MB connection. Probably another 3 or 4 more years at least before fibre arrives here (Macroom).

Blu Rays aren't dead by a lot shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just a heads up. I was in Gamestop this morning and the girl said that they won't accept any PS4's as trade in's if you have changed the hard drive out. So stick the old one back in and say nothing.

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    Just a heads up. I was in Gamestop this morning and the girl said that they won't accept any PS4's as trade in's if you have changed the hard drive out. So stick the old one back in and say nothing.

That's a joke when Sony will still stand over the warranty if you do change the HDD out as it's designed with that feature.

My old HDD is long gone as it's a slow ass 5400rpm drive, not keeping that for anything.

Gamestop *insert me rolling my eyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That's a joke when Sony will still stand over the warranty if you do change the HDD out as it's designed with that feature.

My old HDD is long gone as it's a slow ass 5400rpm drive, not keeping that for anything.

Warranty would be on the PS4 not your new HDD, Sony don't stand over that as it's not theirs nor could Gamestop be expected to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sell it on adverts,more likely to get a better price there anyway,especially with an upgraded drive.

As people were mentioning the PS4 Pro is twice as powerful as the orgingal PS4 it's important to point out that Digital Foundry concluded that this does not mean the frame rate is doubled.

So 30 FPS titles will most likely remain 30fps titles with only better graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Its gpu is twice as powerful,the cpu is the same but with higher clock speeds. Thats going to be the bottleneck in reasonably cpu intensive games eg GTA

Already been confirmed that most 4k games will likely be locked to 30fps, but developers will have the option to instead use the extra power to go for 1080p 60fps. Like Rise of the Tomb Raider having a 4k/30fps mode, 1080p/60fps mode and 1080p/30fps mode.

The extra power can be used to double the framerate, just unlikely in 4k resolution.

Already been confirmed that most 4k games will likely be locked to 30fps, but developers will have the option to instead use the extra power to go for 1080p 60fps. Like Rise of the Tomb Raider having a 4k/30fps mode, 1080p/60fps mode and 1080p/30fps mode.

The extra power can be used to double the framerate, just unlikely in 4k resolution.

Sounds good but quite a gamble to be hoping developers will deliver a 1080p 60 fps mode.

Sounds good but quite a gamble to be hoping developers will deliver a 1080p 60 fps mode.

Not really. Plenty of games have already been 1080p 60fps. Most developers lock it at 30fps because it's not stable enough to maintain a solid 60, but with the extra power of the Pro it's more likely to be achieved. Can't see why they wouldn't aim for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Lads. Look through the marketing hype . The Neo is not really a 4k machine . The real purpose of the Neo is to power the VR headset . The standard PS4 is not powerful enough to do this at a satisfactory frame rate to make the experience smooth . Sony had to develop the Neo to power VR .

By marketing the way Sony have done for the Neo , they will sucker in ppl with 4k tv's , thinking that this is the one that they need ... but , the ppl who buy the VR hs with the standard PS4 will soon realize that they will Have to have a Neo to use the VR hs on as the experience will be quite awful with the standard PS4 .

The Neo only exists because of VR , Not because of 4k ( wich has a very small uptake in the scheme of things )

• Advertisement

Lads. Look through the marketing hype . The Neo is not really a 4k machine . The real purpose of the Neo is to power the VR headset . The standard PS4 is not powerful enough to do this at a satisfactory frame rate to make the experience smooth . Sony had to develop the Neo to power VR .

By marketing the way Sony have done for the Neo , they will sucker in ppl with 4k tv's , thinking that this is the one that they need ... but , the ppl who buy the VR hs with the standard PS4 will soon realize that they will Have to have a Neo to use the VR hs on as the experience will be quite awful with the standard PS4 .

The Neo only exists because of VR , Not because of 4k ( wich has a very small uptake in the scheme of things )

Agree with most of that, however the Pro will still upscale to 4k for those who have 4k tvs, has a larger hdd, and in many ways is futureproofing for when those who don't have 4k tvs do get one.

The primary purpose of the Pro may be to make PSVR a better experience, but that doesn't mean there aren't benefits outside of that.

Agree with most of that, however the Pro will still upscale to 4k for those who have 4k tvs, has a larger hdd, and in many ways is futureproofing for when those who don't have 4k tvs do get one.

The primary purpose of the Pro may be to make PSVR a better experience, but that doesn't mean there aren't benefits outside of that.

Really good 4K TV sets from Samsung and other brands already have really good upscalers. I have seen the orginal Xbox One looking fantastic at 4k and I can only assume the original PS4 will be the same.

Really good 4K TV sets from Samsung and other brands already have really good upscalers. I have seen the orgingal Xbox One looking fantastic at 4k and I can only assume the orgingal PS4 will be the same.

The PS4Pro uses a more advanced 4K upscaling process than any TV or the OneS.

The current problem with many 4K TVs gaming is in the input lag in gaming mode. It's massive on most 4K TVs out there now. Untill that comes down I won't be going near one, you need to spend aruund 2 grand now to get a good 4K HDR TV with low input lag.

Really good 4K TV sets from Samsung and other brands already have really good upscalers. I have seen the orginal Xbox One looking fantastic at 4k and I can only assume the original PS4 will be the same.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared
    The benefit of 4k over 1080p seems obvious on paper – 4k has four times as many pixels as 1080p, which means it should have a clearer picture – but a 4k TV only improves the picture quality if:
    You are watching native 4k content
    You sit close enough to notice the difference
    A 4k TV doesn't improve the picture quality of lower quality content like 1080p Blu-rays.

The PS4Pro uses a more advanced 4K upscaling process than any TV or the OneS.

The current problem with many 4K TVs gaming is in the input lag in gaming mode. It's massive on most 4K TVs out there now. Untill that comes down I won't be going near one, you need to spend aruund 2 grand now to get a good 4K HDR TV with low input lag.

Actually have 2 lads on my Rainbow 6 team using a Samsung 4K with no lag and very impressive visuals. Both purchased for under €900. Non HDR, but still very impressive at 4k.

To give you a real gamer perspective on it in certain games details can be seen in amazing clarity that I couldn't see at all on my top of the range Samsung 1080p TV.

It's something an article can never demonstrate.

To give you a real gamer perspective on it in certain games details can be seen in amazing clarity that I couldn't see at all on my top of the range Samsung 1080p TV.

It's something an article can never demonstrate.

Unless your "real gamer perspective" is "face two inches from the screen", I'd be inclined to go with what the article from people who review TVs says.

4k upscaling from a tv will never match 4k upscaling from the source (console) through a 4k tv.

Unless your "real gamer perspective" is "face two inches from the screen", I'd be inclined to go with what the article from people who review TVs says.

4k upscaling from a tv will never match 4k upscaling from the source (console) through a 4k tv.

No one is saying it is as good however it is really impressive.

Sitting back a good few feet from the 55 inch 4K TV and the results are there to be seen. Try not buy into all the hype from Sony. I recommend people use their own eyes rather than posting articles to sell their point of view.

We play competitive Rainbow 6 Siege at the highest ranks so we are very alert to input lag of any kind.

No one is saying it is as good however it is really impressive.

Sitting back a good few feet from the 55 inch 4K TV and the results are there to be seen. Try not buy into all the hype from Sony. I recommend people use their own eyes rather than posting articles to sell their point of view.

We play competitive Rainbow 6 Siege at the highest ranks so we are very alert to input lag of any kind.

I wasn't buying into any hype from Sony. Merely responding to your comment regarding the upscalers on 4k TVs to point out that it won't match the 4k upscaling from the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I have a Samsung 4k TV in game node it's fine but there is a bit of input lag if I leave it in regular modes like movie or sport,

Really if you think about it there has to be a delay with the amount of processing going on.

I'd bet your friends on game mode, might be worth asking to confirm.

Then again maybe he just has a better/more efficient model than I do.

Advertisement