Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound waste & my missing bin

Options
  • 11-08-2016 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just thought I'd share this and see if anyone has any useful experiences or opinions on what I should do.

My green bin was taken from the kerbside outside my house sometime between 12.30am and 2.00pm yesterday.

So I checked up and down the road and made sure any neighbours hadn't taken it in by mistake. No luck.

Then I rang Greyhound to ask had they taken it for some reason. Long story short, it turns out that the bin was lifted (somewhere) at 2.00pm, but it wasn't on my road.

All the other bins on my road were lifted just before 4.00pm so it looks like someone decided to just take and use my bin!

Now Greyhound want me to just pay up €25 to replace it. I would rather they tell me where it was lifted so I could just go and take it back (I'd know the bin was mine if I seen it).

They say they don't have that information at hand, but I'm sure that with a little effort and investigation, they could find out the general area that the bin truck was in.

So, what should I do / what would you do?

a) Pay the €25
    b) Just stop recycling (I'm not on pay by weight at the moment)
    c) Call the guards
    d) Switch supplier
    e) Something else

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

what you should do is call the guards; & report theft.

however if you dont have your house no on the bin, it could be a genuine mistake.

But what makes it suspicious is its being used by a house 2 hrs further away on the bin truck route, its not even in the same estate!!

However- a quick chat with the binmen might give you the information you want. Eg where are they at 2pm on collection day, what estates did they visit earlier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

however if you dont have your house no on the bin, it could be a genuine mistake.

There's a large sticker on the front of the bin, and the house number carved into the bin on another location, and greyhound can identify the bin by its serial number.

However- a quick chat with the binmen might give you the information you want. Eg where are they at 2pm on collection day, what estates did they visit earlier etc.

I was hoping that Greyhound might show some consideration to a customer of 7 years and do that themselves. I would have to take a day off work in 2 weeks time to try and talk to them, and even if they take me seriously, they probably wouldn't remember where they were at 2pm two weeks ago. I know I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ask them to report where it is the next time it gets lifted so you can get it back. However Greyhound are crap at customer service so they won't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

what you should do is call the guards; & report theft.

But what makes it suspicious is its being used by a house 2 hrs further away on the bin truck route, its not even in the same estate!!

Some estates could easily take 2 hours on a bin run.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Some estates could easily take 2 hours on a bin run.

Definitely, I live in quite a large housing estate.

Ask them to report where it is the next time it gets lifted so you can get it back. However Greyhound are crap at customer service so they won't do anything.

I'll try. They were supposed to ring me today. Nothing so far. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

This happened me with citybin and they wanted money to replace it.
    I explained to them that it was at there request I leave the bin in an area where it could be taken and that it's there problem.

They wouldn't budge so I moved to another company and told them take the rest of their bins away and to place any bills they might think of sending into one of the bins they took back.

New company i'm with its actually working out cheaper so they done me a favour.

Just as an FYI, they know exactly where your bin was emptied and have co-ordinates of the collection point.

boardzz wrote: »
    I moved to another company and told them take the rest of their bins away and to place any bills they might think of sending into one of the bins they took back.

New company i'm with its actually working out cheaper so they done me a favour.

Did they ever bill you?

Who did you move to?

• Advertisement

Just as an FYI, they know exactly where your bin was emptied and have co-ordinates of the collection point.

Thanks for that info. Can you tell me how you know that?

I don't drive for greyhound but I do for another waste company.

Thanks Guil, I thought that this kind of technology would be standard.

It has to be by law since 1st July.

It has to be by law since 1st July.

Any idea where I could find that info online? (If the law includes GPS requirements).

Would be handy to have when I ring them, as they haven't rang me back. As promised.

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Any idea where I could find that info online? (If the law includes GPS requirements).

Would be handy to have when I ring them, as they haven't rang me back. As promised.

The law doesn't actually say anything about GPS but every truck used to collect household waste must have a weighing system installed that weighs every bin. There's only 2 systems I know of and have only seen 1 on a handful of trucks. The other I see on nearly every bin truck and that system has GPS.

Come to think of it I think the other system probably has GPS as well and in 8 years I have only seen 1 or 2 trucks in our place with it.

Advertisement