Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sopranos....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Much underrated tragi-comical character had to be Artie Bucco and his restaurant,his money problems and his romantic obsessions.

arti bucco's wife...yumm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

tipptom wrote:
    US version?

Of Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Best thing I've ever seen- television or film.

The characters are all so memorable. The dialogue just unbelievably good. It managed to combine gravitas with humour so so well.

Silvio is my favourite, to add to the tellingly long list mentioned so far in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

For me nothing beats it, I’ve watched it start to finish maybe 4 times at this stage and it really never loses its appeal.

It’s a show with little or no ‘filler’ episodes, maybe some of the dream sequence ones are a bit of filler but the consistency in quality is mind blowing. I get so immersed in every episode, I find myself getting scared when Tony starts getting angry, he does angry better then I’ve ever seen it done before. The show plays with your mind too, here we have an ultra-violent, sociopathic criminal yet we are rooting for him and sometimes want some of his traits in ourselves (leadership, body burying etc).

When I try to pick holes at the show I cant, in the early days I never liked the Janice episodes but as I got older and had a better understanding of her character she became one of the best in my eyes. The Sunday Dinner scene, I love it so much, the walk on T as he struts down the street is so good.

I love The Wire too but its not better then The Sopranos, it is known The Wire has a learning curve, once you get though enough episodes it’s fantastic but there is a slight barrier to entry. With The Sopranos you could watch any season in isolation and be very entertained.

I’ll wait another year then I’ll probably start it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    arti bucco's wife...yumm
    ++1,she really had something but obviously all that probably justified nagging turned his head for Adriano and the French con woman,wonder why thembiggrin.png

• Advertisement

i always loved Paulie's bit. he could go from laughing and joking to a scary deadpan stare in one second, the way he waged his hand when he was talking etc. all his weird habits but he was really funny. always made me laugh, still does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Best TV show ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

tipptom wrote: »
    Great music and best ending to a show when phil raises his glass to his slain brothers photo and says "No More" and John Cooper clarkes Chickentown comes on which was chilling and the beginning of the end for the Sopranos..
    What song do you mean there? Ive googled it but all I get is a weird English rhyming song...

Thargor wrote: »
    What song do you mean there? Ive googled it but all I get is a weird English rhyming song...
    Its John Cooper Clarke who is a kind of a punk poet and it probably is a weird English rhyming song but if you get Chickentown on UTube it will show the end sequence from the Sopranos and it somehow fits beautifully.

Less the colourful language which is kind of ironic given the language on the Sopranos itself.

Oh yeah how did I forget that? Time for a rewatch, theres just too many perfect scenes to keep track of:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Best TV show ever. I'm forever on YouTube watching clips of the show. One of my favourite scenes is this one.

https://youtu.be/MjohsyoJjao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

While we're at it, let's not forget the wisdom of Little Carmine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Great show alright although I always dreaded the dream sequence episodes which appeared once a season and were unbelievably tedious to watch.

Pine Barrens is one of the all time great episodes of television.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Great show alright although I always dreaded the dream sequence episodes which appeared once a season and were unbelievably tedious to watch.

Pine Barrens is one of the all time great episodes of television.

Pine Barrens was superb...hilarious...a great double act, Paulie and Chris..

Paulie was psychopathic but the scene with his "goomah" and her kids was lovely...he seemed to genuinely care for them.

Richie Aprile...one of the nastiest characters ever...but loved watching him....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im just watching series 1 wasnt into it when it was on first. its timeless, not dated at all

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Just finished season 2....damn forgot about the dream sequences...really hate them. Richie Aprile killed off too soon.....a great, great character. Pussy's demise wasn't great either....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The beauty of him in The Sopranos is how he wobbles back and forth from a detestable guy to a likeable guy through his actions. Every scene in every episode he's just brilliant to watch.

Just got the box set at last.
    Now to find time to watch it

Paulie was psychopathic but the scene with his "goomah" and her kids was lovely...he seemed to genuinely care for them.

Richie Aprile...one of the nastiest characters ever...but loved watching him....
    Richie was a brilliant character.
    The toughest little guy in the neighbourhood who beat up the toughest guy in the neighbourhood and took his cool leather jacket of him as the status prize.The way Richie talked about that guy thinking he owned the block striding like a peacock in "that jacket".

Gave it to Tony as both a reminder of his status as the tough guy he was and a peace offering and Tony goes and gives it to his maids husband!!!

Richie's face when he sees the maids husband walking around the Soprano house with the jacket on was brilliant,i think they may have even slowed the scene down for effect.

Janice killing Richie was a win win for Tony,rid of Richie while not having to clip a made guy and then getting rid of Janice at the bus station back to Harpo and Hippieland.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Ah, it was just the best.

I would just love to be able to apply 'Tony techniques' to modern, workplace management.

Haven't we all wanted to deal with a work colleague like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

anyone that hasn't seen this really hasnt lived. probably the greatest tv show of all time and funny too. even if the ending was kack. the episode with christopher and paulie when they get stuck up in the woods after a bit of a botched killing job is really funny.

I hated the pine barrens episode, it bored the bejaysus out of me - one of the worst in the whole series I though - plus I don't think they ever cleared up what happened to the Russian guy did they?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

I hated the pine barrens episode, it bored the bejaysus out of me - one of the worst in the whole series I though - plus I don't think they ever cleared up what happened to the Russian guy did they?

Wha?

It's one of the few occasions I remember actually rolling around my couch laughing uncontrollably.
    Very clever episode to put these street smart New Jersey wise guys into a totally different environment.
    Paulie ripping up the carpet of the van to use as a blanket - still makes me chuckle.

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Wha?

It's one of the few occasions I remember actually rolling around my couch laughing uncontrollably.
    Very clever episode to put these street smart New Jersey wise guys into a totally different environment.
    Paulie ripping up the carpet of the van to use as a blanket - still makes me chuckle.

how could anyone hate that episode. and paulie with the tic tacs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

He wasn't Russian, he was a Czechosklovakian Interior Decorator. [sic]

But his apartment looked like shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

how could anyone hate that episode. and paulie with the tic tacs :D

I found it extremely boring I have to say.
    He wasn't Russian, he was a Czechosklovakian Interior Decorator. [sic]

But his apartment looked like shít.

That's right - sorry it's been a good while since I seen it. Did they ever clear up what happened to him, I remember kind of expecting him to resurface in later episodes but he never did?

No way...Pine Barrens scene hilarious...Paulie thinking he was going to lose his foot in the cold ...he lost his shoe:D.....funny, always expected to see that Czech guy popping up again...

Richie Aprile killed off way too soon....

Ralphie Cicelleto (sp)'s voice....jesus, he sounds like Jon Lovitz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm rewatching the show again on HBO. I only got into watching it during its initial run towards the last few seasons so never really saw it in order.

Just getting towards the end of the second season where
    Janice kills Richie. I get that it happened quickly because the tension was building but it was the only thing that was ever going to happen to him as he was such a volatile person and Tony is the boss. The fact that it was her was probably inevitable as he would have done it otherwise.

It's great watching the second time round. There's so much going on and I'm old enough now to understand it better. It's not just a story about the mafia, there's a lot about masculinity, psychology, family, Italian-Americans and religion. It does all of that very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

This intervention scene from the 4th season is legendary. Pauline's reaction at 1:48 cracks me up every time and Tony's reaction to the dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

I loved how several characters functioned as different versions of Tony.
    His sister was a female version of Tony. She had much the same temperament intelligence and personality but in a female body and doomed to have no purpose in the mob world.
    The bouncer in the Bada Bing who was beaten mercilessly by Tony when he was pissed off functioned a failed Tony - a male version who never made it in the mob.
    Tony is suburban mobster whereas across the river is the real NYC mafia

across the river is the real NYC mafia
    I love this scene where Phil explains the Sopranos are a glorified crew not a real family, "We got the 5 families then we got this pygmy thing across the river..." :D

Another great Phil scene:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Just started rewatching it

Junior is comical ,he's some clown

Advertisement