Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sopranos....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭Cartman78

There's probably dozens I'm forgetting, but this is one that always springs to mind.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

Richie Aprille was one of the most frightning characters in the show imo, a real meanacing vibe off him. Pity they didn't keep him around longer.

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whenever I see someone with crazy eyes I always think of them as "Manson Lamps" after this scene, such a perfect description of Richies stare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Reading this thread in work today makes me want to go home and start the series again... for the 6th time.  Best TV show of all time, will never get tired of watching it!!! 

If anyone is going to go to NYC and are fans of the show, I would suggest doing the Sopranos tour (if it is still running!).  I did it about 8 years ago and it was excellent, got to meet the actor who played Vito as well as visit most of the major filming locations (bar the Soprano's house as this was a private residence).  The tour ended up in the real life Bada Bing (Satin Doll's it's called) but I thought I read last year that it was closed down.  Much smaller in real life than it looks on TV!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I watch it in its entirety every year, its is hands down the greatest TV drama ever. There isnt a bad actor or character in it, its just amazing. The first of its kind and yet to be topped IMO. I've watch them all GOT, Breaking Bad, The Wire and I still dont get that same feeling as watching the Sopranos.

I was actually heartbroken when Gandolfini passed, I was always holding out for more Sopranos. A movie, anything.

I remember I did a table quiz a couple years ago, it was tie between two tables for 1st so the judges, gave us a topic each, my table got the Sopranos. Took that prize home I did.

I wouldnt get star struck by anyone but I was outside the Hotel Pennsylvania in Manhattan about 18 months ago, Steven Van Zandt was in a car outside I had to meet him. Nice enough guy, I kept calling him Syl though! Sopranos fan I take it he said. YEP!!!:D

Favourite Scene?
    I love the scene where Tony himself kills that rat Petrulio, while out looking at colleges with Meadow. It really highlights how loyal he is to both families, its brutal personal type of kill too - strangulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

great thread,i was sitting at home last week and the sopranos poped in to my head,i have never watched one second of it,.so i think ill start it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

lolokeogh wrote: »
    great thread,i was sitting at home last week and the sopranos poped in to my head,i have never watched one second of it,.so i think ill start it later.

You lucky bastard, you are in for some treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

rob316 wrote: »
    You lucky bastard, you are in for some treat.

pmsl..i said the same to someone last week that had not seen breaking bad,then sopranos poped in to me head and he said the same as you,well thats me sorted for a while i guess,i have been itching for something good to watch...cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

lolokeogh wrote: »

You won't regret it. I'd love to be in your position!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

There should be no Wire talk in this thread. It really doesn't come close. The character portrayal and development in the Sopranos is impeccable. You feel a lot more for the characters and the human psyche is properly delved into. There's a far better dynamic between characters in scenes and seamless links from one storyline to the next. The pace of the show rarely dragged as there was always an exciting subplot to segway onto long-burning, essential storylines. It was tremendous viewing.

The second season in the Wire killed it and the kids season never recovered anything for it. Very disjointed. Maybe it wasn't my thing, but I've watched it a couple of times just to see.

Out of any series produced at the time and even today, there isn't much that can compete with the Sopranos.

There are no scraps in my scrapbook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I finished watching a few days ago.... serious withdrawals.

Paulie Wallnuts is some hero

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It is 4 years since I watched it start to finish last... time to update that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

There should be no Wire talk in this thread. It really doesn't come close. The character portrayal and development in the Sopranos is impeccable. You feel a lot more for the characters and the human psyche is properly delved into. There's a far better dynamic between characters in scenes and seamless links from one storyline to the next. The pace of the show rarely dragged as there was always an exciting subplot to segway onto long-burning, essential storylines. It was tremendous viewing.

The second season in the Wire killed it and the kids season never recovered anything for it. Very disjointed. Maybe it wasn't my thing, but I've watched it a couple of times just to see.

Out of any series produced at the time and even today, there isn't much that can compete with the Sopranos.

There are no scraps in my scrapbook.

If you don’t want Wire talk in the thread then why are you talking about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

MrKingsley wrote: »
    If you don’t want Wire talk in the thread then why are you talking about it?

Dam this thread really makes me want to buy the complete boxsets again (very expensive FIRST TIME ROUND btw)

Yea True I never seen the Wire as some great character study anyway... well human anyway, but you do make a point out of all the boxsets I've binged watched throughout the years noting really has come close to those shows The Wire, Sopranos and Deadwood maybe The Crown which I watched recently in terms of quality writing or The Shield for sheer adrenaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

neirbloom wrote: »
    Dam this thread really makes me want to buy the complete boxsets again (very expensive FIRST TIME ROUND btw)

Yea True I never seen the Wire as some great character study anyway... well human anyway, but you do make a point out of all the boxsets I've binged watched throughout the years noting really has come close to those shows The Wire, Sopranos and Deadwood maybe The Crown which I watched recently in terms of quality writing or The Shield for sheer adrenaline.
    every tv show is unique in its own ways Sopranos just got most of it right from the get go - its very easy to pick any season and series on random and you got quality watch and always some new detail, so every episode is full of action - although there are some critics that say few mid seasons were dry, but in comparison with latest tv shows as br bad- its hard to pick any episode since shows like that are developed in tension build up so very little happens in between, for most to revisit it, unless its completely from the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Alan Taylor to Direct ‘Sopranos’ Prequel Movie ‘The Many Saints of Newark’
    Back in March, we reported that a The Sopranos prequel movie was in the works. Sopranos creator David Chase co-wrote the script with Sopranos veteran Lawrence Konner about the era of the Newark riots in the 1960s. Specifically, this time period saw African Americans and the Italians of Newark at each other’s throats, and the gangsters of each group took lethal measures. The setting then allows for Sopranos characters to appear as their younger selves.

The Wrap is now reporting that Alan Taylor, who previously directed episodes of The Sopranos including winning an Emmy in 2007 for Outstanding Directing for the episode “Kennedy and Heidi”. He also directed Sopranos episodes in four out of the show’s six seasons.

Since then, Taylor went with more blockbuster fare including Game of Thrones, Thor: The Dark World, and Terminator Genisys, but a homecoming of sorts with The Sopranos should be a good fit, although I imagine the canvas of a feature film will make The Many Saints of Newark feels significantly different than your standard Sopranos episodes (although it was an incredibly cinematic series).

The biggest question is when will casting ramp up and which younger characters will we see. Can anyone possibly fill the shoes of James Gandolfini? Or would it be better to go after supporting characters like Paulie Walnuts and Junior Soprano? Personally, I feel like the latter direction is better because it lets you tie in this era of gangsters we never really saw whereas The Sopranos was Tony’s story and it should remain contained to Tony’s story. That being said, I wouldn’t wholly object to Tony being in a supporting role and seeing how he compared as a young man to Christopher, his heir apparent in the series.

The Many Saints of Newark offers a lot of intriguing possibilities, and I’m eager to see this one come to fruition.

http://collider.com/sopranos-movie-director-alan-taylor/#images

thx nice update but feels hard one to pull off given Gandolfini is rip, plus era it seems to focus wouldnt have such draw as Sopranos show had at a time, as it was on par with current dates.

a lot of good mob movies around that era already, and slapping sopranos would be hard as characters as junior seemed more like secondary to me, i see the appeal to make it as cash flow would be massive, but Galdofini was main character which i dont think anyone could replace in any way, as seeing from the show there was a decent backstory how he developed the way he was, from all the flashbacks over the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Anywhere you can watch this episode by episode

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FutbolCian

Can watch it on an app called "Tea TV"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Rjd2 wrote: »
    More SPOILERS...........

Tracee who apart from Adrianna is the most tragic character in the show.

heart breaking. She is only 20 and out of her depth in these circles. Also a reminder to audiences how ****ing dreadful these people are.

Fah cryin' out loud Toooony, she was a ****in' whoo-ah!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I finished the series in 2 weeks. Great stuff. Junior was very funny from season 3 when he got incarcerated. Paulie very funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Michael Gandolfini son of James Gandolfini will play the young Tony in The Many Saints of Newark.

Michael Gandolfini son of James Gandolfini will play the young Tony in The Many Saints of Newark.
    He's played a bus boy bit part in Oceans Eight and not much else, not sure about this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thargor wrote: »
    He's played a bus boy bit part in Oceans Eight and not much else, not sure about this tbh.

He is in the Deuce but didn't really stand out much

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Unearthly wrote: »
    He is in the Deuce but didn't really stand out much

Didn't have a big role in it tbf but still I am not sure of this choice.

My prediction is this will not turn out well, give him a part by all means as a tribute to the father but casting for a part like Tony Soprano needs a bit more thought put into it than this...

i dont think its good idea to make movie based of Sopranos, for one the series as they went along they gave glimpses into what way (mob) operated at the time and brief examples and stories how Tony came into play, his father,mother, junior etc, so it was written quite tight as show developed over the years.

and think its already a bit dated to go back to early years with the amount of movies created around that era and documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

So Tony did die.
    However, a recently leaked interview from 2019 with Sopranos creator David Chase has revealed that Tony was in fact murdered at the diner.

"When you said there was an end point, you don't mean Tony at Holsten's [the diner] you just meant, 'I think I have two more years' worth of stories left in me," Sopranos Sessions co-author Alan Sepinwall asked, according to USA Today

"Yes, I think I had that death scene around two years before the end...But we didn't do that," Chase answered.

"You realize, of course, that you just referred to that as a death scene," co-author Matt Zoller Seitz said after the accidental reveal.

Realizing his mistake, Chase jokingly retorted back "F*** you guys," as People reports.

So there you go guys—13 years of debate ended, just like that.
    https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a32869286/sopranos-creator-accidentally-confirms-tony-death-series-finale/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

:rolleyes:

Everyone loves "closure" in TV. That's what made the Soprano's grea. It very realistically left the viewer to wonder.

Same way we will never know for sure who shot Kennedy or what happened Shargar, but we have a good idea of what happened.

Sopranos really ruined other TV shows for me. Everything always has to be wrapped up for all us morons.

Advertisement