Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best method for insuring a baba novice driver

• 11-08-2016 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hiya,

I passed my test the other week (yaaay) and I've a 04 fiat panda (cutest mechanical thing ever!) and I'm 19 meself. Now its time for the blasted insurance. I've done online quotes and the ones that would quote me were quoting around 4000 - 5000 . There goes most of my house deposit! Mother dearest then rang one of the insurance companys up and got it down to 3000, stings a quite bit but manageable. I also did quote with boxymo and was quoted 2000ish online, but the more I thought about it the more I realised it's far to limiting for me really.

The one thing I haven't looked into yet is my Mum being insured on my car as the primary driver and me being a named driver thingy on it. I've heard of a few people who've done this I think, but is it worth it? My main concern if it's possible would be if it would bugger up my Mum's insurance at all?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sarcodius wrote: »
    Hiya,

I passed my test the other week (yaaay) and I've a 04 fiat panda (cutest mechanical thing ever!) and I'm 19 meself. Now its time for the blasted insurance. I've done online quotes and the ones that would quote me were quoting around 4000 - 5000 . There goes most of my house deposit! Mother dearest then rang one of the insurance companys up and got it down to 3000, stings a quite bit but manageable. I also did quote with boxymo and was quoted 2000ish online, but the more I thought about it the more I realised it's far to limiting for me really.

The one thing I haven't looked into yet is my Mum being insured on my car as the primary driver and me being a named driver thingy on it. I've heard of a few people who've done this I think, but is it worth it? My main concern if it's possible would be if it would bugger up my Mum's insurance at all?

Thanks! :)

What you are suggesting is known as fronting and is the oldest trick in the book when it comes to young drivers trying to get cheaper insurance.

Every insurer is aware of the practice.

Any premium difference would be marginal as your mother won't have any bonus to use and most insurers will rate you as the main driver anyway.

You cannot have your cake and eat it.

Either take the hit and start building up your own bonus, like most people have had to do, or buy a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sarcodius

What you are suggesting is known as fronting and is the oldest trick in the book when it comes to young drivers trying to get cheaper insurance.

Every insurer is aware of the practice.

Any premium difference would be marginal as your mother won't have any bonus to use and most insurers will rate you as the main driver anyway.

You cannot have your cake and eat it.

Either take the hit and start building up your own bonus, like most people have had to do, or buy a bike.

Ah okay cool, I understand it now, just wasn't really sure how people went about doing it, thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Sarcodius wrote: »
    Ah okay cool, I understand it now, just wasn't really sure how people went about doing it, thanks! :)

Have you as the main driver and her as the named driver it might bring it down a little.

Advertisement