Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of Intention, Council propose Car Free Day (well 6 hours outside of rush hour)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Meh.
    lip service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Very much looks like a token effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Key words: Local access will be maintained at all times

So it's more car-reduced day, than car free.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not set in stone yet. I have added this intention to title.

For everyone working in the city it won't matter much as they are outside of those hours.
    I suppose council wants to see if it's possible to divert traffic away from city centre during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

biko wrote: »
    For everyone working in the city it won't matter much as they are outside of those hours.

That depends on your perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I suppose it's a decent trial run for the City. Dublin's College Green bus gate started out being 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm Mon-Fri. It's now 7am-7pm Mon-Fri and will be 24hr Mon-Sun by next year.

It seems strange that Galway is deliberately doing this outside of rush hour, i.e. when you want the bus service to be very fast and reliable. Surely a trial run should be 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm Mon-Fri, if you want to get a real test of the system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

cgcsb wrote: »
    I suppose it's a decent trial run for the City. Dublin's College Green bus gate started out being 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm Mon-Fri. It's now 7am-7pm Mon-Fri and will be 24hr Mon-Sun by next year.
    It seems strange that Galway is deliberately doing this outside of rush hour, i.e. when you want the bus service to be very fast and reliable. Surely a trial run should be 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm Mon-Fri, if you want to get a real test of the system.
    The Galway way.

This is not a test of anything. It's a PR and attitudes change exercise. Besides, local access will be maintained. So nothing will be different, except for some temporary signage around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

This is not a test of anything. It's a PR and attitudes change exercise. Besides, local access will be maintained. So nothing will be different, except for some temporary signage around the place.

Oooh, aren't you a right negative Nancy on this fine wet friday evening

I'd rather be a Negative Nancy than a Positive Patsy. YMMV. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

pure.conya wrote: »
    Oooh, aren't you a right negative Nancy on this fine wet friday evening

Realist Rita more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Most people won't know until they get there. If the sign says local access then just carry on as normal. It sounds more like their version of the hundreds of "special" days announced by charties etc

Advertisement