Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase = deposit increase ?

Options
  • 11-08-2016 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

My landlord upped my rent by 50 this year and wants to to pay 50 to make the deposit equal the rent. I don't really want to do this but if its standard practice then fair enough. Is this normal enough ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its becoming increasingly common. If the landlord has had people refusing to pay the last months rent with "use the deposit" reasons they'll want to ensure it matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

About time the government stepped in and handled the deposits independently

A weed in the corner of the garden and some LL's would be off claiming full landscape fees

Tenants can be bad too, not paying last months rent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

About time the government stepped in and handled the deposits independently

A weed in the corner of the garden and some LL's would be off claiming full landscape fees

Tenants can be bad too, not paying last months rent

Who will pay to set that department up and maintain it you think? Glad I'm not renting these days to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A deposit protection scheme has been in the works by the RTB for a while now and due for launch next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Check your contract, it may say that deposit is equal to monthly rent so it would stand to reason that if rent increases, the deposit increases by the equivalent amount. To be honest, as a tenant or landlord I wouldn't get bent out of shape over 50. You can stand your ground and there is little the LL can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Just pay it.

Advertisement