Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneers fee if I don't sell

Options
  • 11-08-2016 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    If I put my house on the market and then decide not to sell it (I'm not 100% sure if I will be moving) will I be charged a fee from the auctioneer?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You will have fees that are outside of the auctioneer. Daft, MyHome etc

Signage and an time that he/she spent holding viewings (if any).

Myhome and daft are usually charged up front so you may just have a nominal fee for their time spent on your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 luckyluckyme

Thanks Kceire. If they have done a load of viewings and then I have to take it off the market I just want to know if I'll be charged.

If I sign an agreement with them and they don't mention any fees besides if the house sells (besides anything I have to pay upfront) do they still have a right to charge me for doing viewings and for their time on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I don't think there is one rule for all estate agents, but surely they don't work for free, so yes I'd expect it to cost you something, especially to cover online advertising, printing of brouchers etc - why should this be free to you?

Also - would you not just ask any agent who you're thinking of dealing with this very question before agreeing to go with them?

FWIW - you don't sound like someone who really wants to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I doubt it, would they give you all your money back if they don't sell it? No. So I think the it's a risk and reward for them, if they sell having done a small number of viewings, they get 1-2% of sale price, if they don't sell it, their material outlays are covered but they don't get the sale "bonus".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Yes you will have to pay them. They will have done work for you so why would you not pay them?

They will more than likely get you to sign an agreement saying this when you first employ them.

N.B. Some people try to "get one over" on auctioneers by taking the house off the market only to turn around and sell it "privately" a week later in order to avoid auctioneers fees. Don't be surprised to see a clause in your agreement asking you to agree that you will pay the auctioneer a certain fee if it is sold privately within a certain length of time after taking it off the market.

Best thing is to be up front with the auctioneer and have an agreed set of fees in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

I was charged 250 euro last summer for having a house advertised for about 1 month. No signage, just daft and their own website. 2 viewings were arranged before the house was taken off the market. Small but new rural auctioneer practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 luckyluckyme

Thanks everyone. I am waiting on a job offer to see if I need to move so I think I might just wait until I know before doing anything. I'm only thinking about it for now so I suppose I just want to make sure I have everything covered and have all costs accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Thanks everyone. I am waiting on a job offer to see if I need to move so I think I might just wait until I know before doing anything. I'm only thinking about it for now so I suppose I just want to make sure I have everything covered and have all costs accounted for.

Just discuss it with the EA up front. Some EA's have what is known as a disengagement fee. Basically if they start and you decide not to sell you are liable for the fee. Having said that, its rare enough. Normally, you will pay a marketing fee upfront so this you will lose as its expenses the EA incurs bringing your property to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Don't auctioneers pay an annual fee to Daft / Myhome rather than per property?

Normally. But marketing covers time too. Taking pics. Uploading. Brochures. Supply and fit signage. Etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement