Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Certificate or Cover Note?

Options
  • 11-08-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I am insured by Liberty through Chill Insurance.

I was stopped driving a car that my friend had just bought and I was driving it home for her. Obviously the Garda seen there was no insurance disk in the window.

Admittedly I should have had my Insurance Cert on me at the time but as I didn't he questioned my suitability to drive the car for her. I assured him that my policy covers "driving of other motor vehicles".

He told me to bring a Cover Note, not my insurance documents, to the station within the next 10 days. It must be a cover note and failure to do so will result in a summons.

I thought this sounded a bit over the top and that he was just being awkward etc.

Sure enough I rang Chill and as soon as I mentioned the situation she told me to bring my insurance cert to the station as it does in fact show I am covered to drive other private motor cars etc. I mentioned the cover note and she said "no, they must accept the insurance cert, its a legal document"

Off to the station I went with my cert and they took it in and presumably scanned it without hassle and sent me on my way.

Now I'm curious if this prticular Guard is going to see this as a way of undermining him and he will in fact request that it goes to court.

Was I in the right? More importantly, were Chill right to dismiss my mention of a cover note and state the the cert will do.

As I said, I know I was covered at the time (maybe the guard did too and decided to be a bit fickle)
    Obviously the 10 days has passed now but the thoughts of this coming up again in a few months has me wondering is all.

Any info much appreciated :)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 163 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Una

Hi,

I am insured by Liberty through Chill Insurance.

I was stopped driving a car that my friend had just bought and I was driving it home for her. Obviously the Garda seen there was no insurance disk in the window.

Admittedly I should have had my Insurance Cert on me at the time but as I didn't he questioned my suitability to drive the car for her. I assured him that my policy covers "driving of other motor vehicles".

He told me to bring a Cover Note, not my insurance documents, to the station within the next 10 days. It must be a cover note and failure to do so will result in a summons.

I thought this sounded a bit over the top and that he was just being awkward etc.

Sure enough I rang Chill and as soon as I mentioned the situation she told me to bring my insurance cert to the station as it does in fact show I am covered to drive other private motor cars etc. I mentioned the cover note and she said "no, they must accept the insurance cert, its a legal document"

Off to the station I went with my cert and they took it in and presumably scanned it without hassle and sent me on my way.

Now I'm curious if this prticular Guard is going to see this as a way of undermining him and he will in fact request that it goes to court.

Was I in the right? More importantly, were Chill right to dismiss my mention of a cover note and state the the cert will do.

As I said, I know I was covered at the time (maybe the guard did too and decided to be a bit fickle)
    Obviously the 10 days has passed now but the thoughts of this coming up again in a few months has me wondering is all.

Any info much appreciated :)
    Hi Baraics Pollox,
    Thanks for the query, i'll look into this and get back to you. In the meantime would you PM me your policy number.
    Thanks
    Una

Advertisement