Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience appealing BTEA rejection, or applying for VTOS?

Options
  • 11-08-2016 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

TL;DR: Turned down because I hold a Level 6 albeit in a different area and dropped out of another course while on BTEA. Wondering if I have a hope of appealing or being approved for VTOS is as difficult?

So I was turned down for BTEA for a Level 6 in Social Care on the following grounds;

"You already hold a qualification at an equivalent or higher level"

I hold a level a level 6 in Multimedia, which I got just over three years ago. This is obviously a vastly different area and as per the welfare.ie website, the rule for attending a second Level 5 or 6 has supposedly been relaxed.

"You failed to complete a previous course of study already funded under the BTEA scheme"

I took up a Level 8 in Multimedia last September under the BTEA, more than anything to get off the dole and thinking it was in keeping with what I studied previously. It wasn't and I left in February. That part is unfortunately pretty clean cut, but I wonder if since I was on the scheme for such a short time there might be a chance for them to reconsider.

Failing an appeal, my last hope is the VTOS scheme. I've read the qualifying conditions and seem to meet them (23, collecting JSA for 6 months) but I know there's limited numbers per college. Anyone have any experience with this?

Will already having a Level 6, dropping out or time spent on BTEA affect my eligibility for this? I called the college but they just fobbed me off and told me VTOS applications take place in September. I can't find contact information for the VTOS officer either.

Hopefully this forum is okay for the subject.

Advertisement