Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gimmicks that disappeared off the face of the planet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

These boys

I remember Ciaran Power with a set of them back in the 90s underage. They looked cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oval chainrings - biopace and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had a set of those Scott Drop in bars, two rolls of bar tape to cover them!! Had a set of extreme tri bars that I used to good effect on the tt bike

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Taxuser1 wrote:
    I remember Ciaran Power with a set of them back in the 90s underage. They looked cool.

He told me he made his own when he was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    He told me he made his own when he was younger

they were class regardless !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

026071bc1b223dc2ae6724e66bbf5a89.jpg

Do kids still do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That Turbine yoke reminds me of the bit of sellotape footballers used to put on their nose to help them score goals or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Lance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Scott bars were cool, UCI in their wisdom banned them...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

WATSON_00001362_160.jpg

Spinaci bars (thank god)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Onza ho pedals they were terrible . Elastomer instead of springs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

This hasn't yet:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Scott bars were cool, UCI in their wisdom banned them...

Well I better not enter any races on the TVT I am putting together in Z Peugot colours, complete with the same kit that lemond used including some new old stock Scott Drop In bars that I picked up on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Speaking of Scott bars....
    35f18157.jpg
    Had a set of these on my mountain bike back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

90s_8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

5781e1c13f45b2441ad3e9191c22d5e9.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to have a muddy fox full wheel disc on my mountain bike in my teens. pawprint design. it was noisy, and jesus was it a liability in a crosswind. but everyone (my age) thought i was cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

i used to have a muddy fox full wheel disc on my mountain bike in my teens. pawprint design. it was noisy, and jesus was it a liability in a crosswind. but everyone (my age) thought i was cool.

I still think they are cool.......

90s_8.jpg

You can get these in Tiger shops. I have them (on the basis that no self-respecting bike thief could bear to have to take them all off the spokes) and little girls look at them worshipfully. All the bike needs now is those sparkly pink metallic tassels on the handlebar ends.

everyone thought *i* was cool. maybe they don't still think that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Chuchote wrote: »
    You can get these in Tiger shops. I have them (on the basis that no self-respecting bike thief could bear to have to take them all off the spokes) and little girls look at them worshipfully. All the bike needs now is those sparkly pink metallic tassels on the handlebar ends.

Bar tassels, awesome! Never had them. I don't have a bike to suit them though anymore, although I think they'd all appreciate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

This hasn't yet:

I think I'd spend my ride trying to bunnyhop off the rollers to punch those floating boxes, Mario World style!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You can get these in Tiger shops. I have them (on the basis that no self-respecting bike thief could bear to have to take them all off the spokes) and little girls look at them worshipfully.

You know, these could be fun on a 300km audax ride...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You know, these could be fun on a 300km audax ride...

They actually only clatter when you go at walking pace. As soon as you start cycling at a normal rate they stick to where they are and there's no noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

nee wrote: »
    Bar tassels, awesome! Never had them. I don't have a bike to suit them though anymore, although I think they'd all appreciate them!

Sounds like a job for.....

NEW BIKE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I think every knows your taste is an acquired taste. I think it's actually quite questionable

Advertisement