Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Around Ireland2016

Options
  • 11-08-2016 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

2 weeks and change until this starts; any boardsies doing it this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Not cycling it myself, but crewing for a 2 man team (Odd Ball Joes). Crewed for Average Josies last year so will be interesting to see the differences between the 8 person and 2 person on the road!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Cool, I was on Team Thinkbike last year so we probably met at some random petrol station :-) Fair play to you for crewing 2 years in a row, such a tough job.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

colm18 wrote: »
    2 weeks and change until this starts; any boardsies doing it this year?

aiming to finish in the early numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Cool, I was on Team Thinkbike last year so we probably met at some random petrol station :-) Fair play to you for crewing 2 years in a row, such a tough job.

Looking forward to your solo effort this year ;-)

Looking forward to your solo effort this year ;-)

I'll be soloing to the start ..then cycling home :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

For some strange reason I seem to have signed up for this again.

St Tiernan's CC 4 Man Team. See you on the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

Great to see some of you coming back again this year!

We're super excited as this will be our biggest year to date. We have 15 solos , 1 tandem, 5 two-person teams, 11 four-person teams and 5 eight-person teams. We also have 7 solos in the Irish Ultra Challenge.

13 nationalities in total.

This year we've also moved our Race HQ and finishline to Moynalty in Co. Meath.

The Race starts on Sunday 28th of August in Trim, Co. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

4 days to go. :eek:

This is when I start to panic buy stuff I will never use.

daragh_ wrote: »
    4 days to go. :eek:

This is when I start to panic buy stuff I will never use.

Buy more powerbanks. You can't have enough powerbanks.

And they're off! Live tracking here - https://gps.blackblox.si/race/rai2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

First team passed the half way mark just outside of Limerick. The 8 man Grin It Out team for Jack & Jill foundation are flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

First team passed the half way mark just outside of Limerick. The 8 man Grin It Out team for Jack & Jill foundation are flying it.
    In Killarney now!

Looks like there's some great battles going on - Thinkbike , Tiernans & Team NI children's hospital all within 1km of each other after 1200 kilometres!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Our local club lads are in 10th spot, I think they are all nutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Looks like there's some great battles going on - Thinkbike , Tiernans & Team NI children's hospital all within 1km of each other after 1200 kilometres!

I met two of the tiernans lads at 6.35 this morning in kildimo west Limerick , heading towards listowel, the lad that got off the bike looked like he was after doin a hard shift , tough men fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

How does the race work with the >1 sized teams? Do you have one man on one man resting (4 men on, 4 men resting), or is it everyone on the road all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

check_six wrote: »
    How does the race work with the >1 sized teams? Do you have one man on one man resting (4 men on, 4 men resting), or is it everyone on the road all the time?

Any combination that you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Hager wrote: »
    Any combination that you choose.

Interesting. Any idea what strategy the frontrunners are using?

I have no idea what strategy anyone is employing this year but the most successful teams in recent years seems to have had one person on the road at any given time with very regular changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Shoutout to the man in Clare that found our crew phone... Dropped it on a changeover and he called us a couple of hours later. Sent the bus back for it .... Going up molls now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

check_six wrote: »
    Interesting. Any idea what strategy the frontrunners are using?

Team grin it out are doing 15km stints each with 4 men pods at a time , the support crew are mainly built up with people who did it / or who were supporting team average joes in the past who used the exact same approach successfully as an 8 man team .

sullzz wrote: »
    Team grin it out are doing 15km stints each with 4 men pods at a time , the support crew are mainly built up with people who did it / or who were supporting team average joes in the past who used the exact same approach successfully as an 8 man team .

Are they doing only one 15k stint each before changing pods? That would leave only 3.5 hours or thereabouts between stints, not a huge amount of time for eating,sleeping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Hager wrote: »
    Are they doing only one 15k stint each before changing pods? That would leave only 3.5 hours or thereabouts between stints, not a huge amount of time for eating,sleeping etc.

No , they are doing 8 hour shifts per pod , or roughly 230km per pod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

sullzz wrote: »
    No , they are doing 8 hour shifts per pod , or roughly 230km per pod

So a pod of 4 guys are resting/eating (driving?) for 8 hours completely off the bikes, while the other 4 are each doing a 30 minute (or so) solo shift in every 2 hour block X 4 before the pods swop out......is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Just met a team in the same spot I met the tiernans team this mornin, 12 hours exactly behind them!! Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    So a pod of 4 guys are resting/eating (driving?) for 8 hours completely off the bikes, while the other 4 are each doing a 30 minute (or so) solo shift in every 2 hour block X 4 before the pods swop out......is that it?
    I dunno about the 8 man teams, but with the 4 man teams (2x2 doing four hour shifts) there really isn't any rest because the roads are so slow that you risk not being able to catch up before the end of the shift if you hang around.

So basically the 2 "resting" riders are getting bounced around in the back of a camper for four hours then chucked out to hurt themselves again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

St Tiernans took a bit of a detour and 2 teams have passed them on the road. Three teams within 5k of one another after 1555km's .Amazing.

Meanwhile, leaders will be passing by the house in about 30mins. Going out to shout them on.:)

Update:

Leaders passed just now. Looking good. Some achievement !!

Team Grin-It-Out (8 man) finished with an average speed of over 31 km/h...amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Hats off to Pat Doocey who aced the Ultra Challenge with a new record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

If a Team goes off route ( i.e. takes a wrong road for a few km) are they allowed to put the bike in the van and get driven back to the point where they went wrong ?

Advertisement