Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C section in Coombe for breech baby

Options
  • 11-08-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, our baby is breech and ECV was unsuccessful in turning him/her. We will be booked in for a section - does anyone know if we can request a particular date? ie after 1st September (natural delivery due date 30 August)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I didn't attend that hospital but I was booked in a week before my due date for a section because of a breech position baby. No later in case I went into labour which can be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

cleanslate wrote: »
    Hi, our baby is breech and ECV was unsuccessful in turning him/her. We will be booked in for a section - does anyone know if we can request a particular date? ie after 1st September (natural delivery due date 30 August)
    Thanks!

Not in the Coombe but I was breech earlier this year and was due March 7th. I was given a date for section on Feb. 29th. Himself was all "Ah the poor mite! Imagine when it starts school - 'When's your birthday?' 'In 3 years' time'!!!" So I asked if it could be changed and was told that my consultant had a specific day in the OR for scheduled sections, which happened to be Mondays (hence the 29th of Feb!) She did eventually agree to swap & managed to fit me in first thing on another date.
    Himself has a few sayings that he always trots out in situations like these: "If you don't ask, you don't get" & "God loves a trier" (to which I usually reply "You must be his favourite son so because you're definitely trying!!!" :pac: Ask, don't demand & see how you get on. I don't think you'll get a date after your due date though, in case you actually go on your own.
    That's my 2c for the night!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

Usually it's the day your consultant is in theatre. My consultants day was Wednesday so hence my 3 sections were done the Wednesday before my due date

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Not 100% sure, but I think with a breech baby they prefer to section before your due date. 2 of my sisters-in-law and one of my cousins had sections for breech babies, and they were all done a week or so before the due date, as lazygal said, to try and minimise the risks if you go into labour naturally. Definitely ask and see, worst thing they can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cleanslate

Thanks everyone, we will ask anyway but I had thought a section would be earlier than due date too so I guess we will miss out on the paternity leave :-) and if he/she wasn't breech, I probably would have had to be induced so it would have been almost guaranteed :-)
    Once baba is healthy and safe I am happy. Thanks for all your answers, have a good weekend :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Not necessarily before. I had a section on the 1st of November and due date was 31st of October. I know it's only one day but it was still after!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Kaylami wrote: »
    Not necessarily before. I had a section on the 1st of November and due date was 31st of October. I know it's only one day but it was still after!

Was it for breech presentation? My second section was a week over my due date as baby's position was head down.

Yes lazygal she turned breech at 37.5 weeks. ECV failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cleanslate

Kaylami wrote: »
    Yes lazygal she turned breech at 37.5 weeks. ECV failed.

What did you think of the ecv procedure? I found it horrendous, they tried 3 times. Painful as well, and was sore for a couple of days after. I'm quite good with pain too so was very surprised. Was left shellshocked after it. Baby's movements were totally different after it too, so I don't care what they say, it does affect baby, maybe not in a bad way, but it affects them.

I didn't find it too bad cleanslate. Was sore alright and I was bruised afterwards but I got the impression he didn't try that hard to turn her.

I went on to have 2 more natural births after the section though so it obviously didn't put me off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement