Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any members working out of garden sheds ?

Options
  • 11-08-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering how feasible is it, particularly in Ireland to construct a workshop out of wood? I'm half thinking of constructing my own timber built shed and am toying with the idea of engineering it so that I can use it for woodworking.

Is this feasible in damp old Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

dnme wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm just wondering how feasible is it, particularly in Ireland to construct a workshop out of wood? I'm half thinking of constructing my own timber built shed and am toying with the idea of engineering it so that I can use it for woodworking.

Is this feasible in damp old Ireland ?

Not quite.
    The biggest worry I have is condensation. Working in a cold shed doesn't patricularly bother me.
    When ya factor in price of a decent sized shed plus wiring and rest, it gets reasonbly expensive.
    That's just my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Many thanks for the reply,

I was thinking about building my own shed, insulation, inner lining, damp membrane under floor etc. I wonder is it possible to build in a way that condensation is not an issue.

dnme wrote: »
    Many thanks for the reply,

I was thinking about building my own shed, insulation, inner lining, damp membrane under floor etc. I wonder is it possible to build in a way that condensation is not an issue.

It is and it isn't if ya get me.....
    If ye've a bitta space and willing to part with a few bob, it can be done.
    I'll have a look around at home 2mora, I think I've a few drawings floating around.
    How big are you looking to go out of a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are we talking mensheds, or condensation, or compensation here?

Any rats under the floorboards?

Or foxes, maybe...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My "shed" was custom built for me, and is built around 4" battens with PT shiplap timber on the outside, with the voids filled with insulation and clad on the inside with plywood. No condensation issues at all, and while you wouldn't want to live out there, it doesn't get that cold in winter that a small oil filled radiator won't cure.

• Advertisement

It is and it isn't if ya get me.....
    If ye've a bitta space and willing to part with a few bob, it can be done.
    I'll have a look around at home 2mora, I think I've a few drawings floating around.
    How big are you looking to go out of a matter of interest?

Haven't decided yet. I'd be thinking of something reasonable big. Upto 10m long and maybe 3-4m wide. I'd consider laying a bed of stones and then building on that started with presure treated floor grame, frame walls, joist and truss roof, all clad with plywood, then perhaps some weather proof cladding finish and maybe a shingle or metal sheet on the roof. Then insulate all interior surfaces and clad out with sheeting.

I might consider windows, and maybe a roof window (velux type) or two. I might also consider a small stove with a lined flu to the outside.

Is this kinda thing feasible ? Would tools stay rust free in there during Irish winters? Would that kind of floor structure be suitable for potentially heavy tools such as table saw, planar / thicknesser, bandsaw ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a block shed with a flat roof. the underneath of the roof (3/4" WBP, felted) does get quite damp on cold winter nights, but i haven't had much issue so far with that causing problems for the tools yet. maybe if i did insulate the roof it would give the condensation somewhere else to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You need a concrete base to take machines - not too expensive if you do it yourself. Otherwise your plan is fine. I would factor in storage - you can never have enough, a high ceiling (at least in part) for swinging planks around and a small stove for burning offcuts. See www.thehotspot.co.uk Lastly, as many windows facing south as possible to get some solar heat in the winter.

recipio wrote: »
    You need a concrete base to take machines - not too expensive if you do it yourself. Otherwise your plan is fine. I would factor in storage - you can never have enough, a high ceiling (at least in part) for swinging planks around and a small stove for burning offcuts. See www.thehotspot.co.uk Lastly, as many windows facing south as possible to get some solar heat in the winter.

Many thanks for that.

Concrete base eh ?

Are you speaking from experience ?
    Would I put a damp course membrane under or over the concrete base?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is a rather neat idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pv8JxrQMAw

skip to about 35s in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

So approximately 40'x15'.

Sounds like a log cabin. And for a timberframe build that size, when you start factoring in
    materials, could soon become expensive.

You would be looking at 4x2 or 6x2 CLS timber pressure treated. Proper design
    to carry the snow load on a shed that size ect,ect

Short question is...........how is the budget for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I'd love to build a shed that size, my neighbour is an architect though, I'd probably have to get planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

8'x6' shed for me.

You do run into some problems, like things being too tall to build on the bench or too long to plane on it and having to go outside to change your mind, but you get some benefits like it not costing the earth, heating it being totally doable with a €20 oil-filled radiator, and not a lot of T8s being needed so LED lighting is completely viable.
    For a hobbyist - especially if you have a small patio or deck you can stick two sawhorses on with some MDF in between for bigger jobs - it's grand. Totally unworkable for doing it professionally, I'd imagine.

IMG_9468a.jpg

Excuse the black plastic, I was using it to keep the plants off the wet paint on the side of the shed)

IMG_0039a.jpg

Steambending on the tiny deck in front of the shed, this is where rough-cutting larger boards happens as well

IMG_0188a.jpg

Inside the shed - working on a project that's waaaay too big for this shed

Honestly, if you can get somewhere bigger than a potting shed, I'd recommend you do so :D But it can be done for small hobby stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Jesus that looks like a heavenly hide away. Did you build yourself or purchase? What's the material on the underside of the ceiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It was just the garden shed. Every house in the estate has them. They're just the normal 8x6 sheds you'd see at woodies or B&Qs or any other garden place. I did line the inside with OSB sheeting (and painted it with the cheapest white emulsion from woodies) and stuck anti-echo foam (from ebay) on the roof to avoid going deaf when chopping mortices and the like. Doesn't work perfectly, I usually wear ear defenders, but it does reduce it somewhat.

Cleaning up is a bit of a pain though. I don't use much in the way of power tools (I do roughcuts with a circular saw, I occasionally use a jigsaw, and I have the universal cordless drill too, but no machines or anything useful, they wouldn't fit); that means lots of wood shavings from planes and those things defeat any dust extraction system out there. And the shed's so small that it's too awkward for a dustpan and broom so you generally have to use your hands to haul the shavings out and dump them. The dust you can handle with an aldi wet/dry shop vac readily enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Timber clad sheds work out a lot dearer than block built if done properly and to spec. Would a steel framed bolted down ( avoids planning as far as I'm aware ) internally lined with ply not a more feasible option. A concrete base is a must a minimum height of 8 ft at the eves and good lighting a must. When you think you've enough lights in throw in another couple, there's nothing as annoying as a shadow when your working. A good source of power is a must too. Stoves in a workshop are a disaster too, are you really going to risk a fire in the middle of a workshop. I've seen the effects of one and it melted the rsjs it was that hot. Damp and condensation can be an issue if you try cutting too many corners. Do it once and right.

Anyone any solutions for a workshop with what I'm assuming is high humidity/damp. I work in the basement of an old house (100+ years old). Workshop is great but I've brought timber in there at 10-12% and it's now at 18%. Tools, if left out on benches rust like mad.
    Because it's a basement, there are no openable Windows. Would getting a flow of air through there each day help the issue? Or is there some dehumidifier I can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have mentioned elsewhere a shed that I had for an office. Standard 9x12 garden shed - remember you can only have a certain height to stay within not needing planning permission. It had a double floor put in. with insulation, (though I think a solid base would be much better for a woodwork shed). I lined it with plasterboard and insulation, and insulation and thin ply in the ceiling, with loads of power points and good lighting. Double glazed door and two small windows.

It has been there now for about 16 years, had computer equipment in it for about 10 years and even now there is absolutely no dampness - I have oddments of furniture and a good bit of textile stuff, and it is fine. It only needs a tiny bit of heating in the coldest part of the winter - when the computers were going they provided enough heat alone!

This is what I'm working out of. Shipping container, ply-lined and insulated. Finished it off last night. Couple of cabinets/shelves to fit but it'll do me grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

delaney001 wrote: »
    Anyone any solutions for a workshop with what I'm assuming is high humidity/damp. I work in the basement of an old house (100+ years old). Workshop is great but I've brought timber in there at 10-12% and it's now at 18%. Tools, if left out on benches rust like mad.
    Because it's a basement, there are no openable Windows. Would getting a flow of air through there each day help the issue? Or is there some dehumidifier I can get?

What's the typical air temp in there?
    The warmer the air the more moisture it holds and then when it drops at night it condenses out at night, onto the cold steel of the tools.

If no windows how are you dealing with dust?
    You renting or owning?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

What's the typical air temp in there?
    The warmer the air the more moisture it holds and then when it drops at night it condenses out at night, onto the cold steel of the tools.

If no windows how are you dealing with dust?
    You renting or owning?

It's pretty cold, no form of heating. Have a gas cylinder that I turn on when I'm there. Couldn't say what the temp is. I lock away all hand tools into a plastic container after use, think it has helped.
    Owning, not renting. The nuisance is bringing in timber, it increases greatly in moisture while being stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Gas cylinder is the main issue right there!
    CH4 + 2 O2 = CO2 + 2 H2O
    from here
    http://www.webqc.org/balance.php?reaction=CH4+%2B+O2+%3D+CO2+%2B+H2O

It, plus you, are loading up the air with moisture, you when you breath out.

You also asking for all other sorts of trouble working in an enclosed space with that cylinder.

Think Carbon Monoxide, the silent killer.

You ever get headaches down there? it will also impair your senses, not good with tools!

Is it all 100% below ground?

Look at elec heating pronto and if your budget stretches to it explore infra red elec heaters.

Just to add another potential hazard here, if you get the right mix of fine dust and the naked flame you risk an explosion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

i'd definitely agree with the above - lack of airflow plus using a gas heater (unless it's vented to the outside) will be a real issue. stop using the gas (is it a super ser?) and stick in a dehumidifer and maybe some oil rads for a couple of days and see if that helps.

Solid advise. Will stop using the gas and try get some air circulation into the place. Cheers

Advertisement