Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start Mountain Biking?

Options
  • 11-08-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

How do I start?

I'm in Galway and would love to start some forest trails for the winter.

Buying gear seems to be the wrong thing todo right now.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do you cycle regularly already? Ideally you should be building a base this time of year. If you don't have a road bike there's no harm getting an MTB now and start building up your endurance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Why does buying gear seem the wrong thing to do? Have you got any?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Now is the best time to be buying winter gear.

As far as getting into MTB I've only recently gotten into it and it's fantastic craic. Totally different to road biking the only down side (or upside) is it generally eats up an entire day unless you're lucky enough to live close to some trails.

There wasn't a whole lot involved in getting into it. Buy a pair of baggy shorts a half shell helmet or a full face whichever your preference. Get yourself a bike and head to the trails or a trail centre.

It would be advisable to go to one of the parks like bike park ireland, ticknock/ballinastoe of ballyhoura and get a hire bike or go on one of the mtb tours if near Ballinastoe.

Eventually you may wish to join a club if that's your thing go for it.

There's definitely less ego on the mtb scene and everyone I've met is very encouraging.

Also you will make some of the most ridiculous mistakes and realise you may not bounce aswell as you once did but it's all in the name of fun.

Good luck and enjoy.

Re the bike you may want to check out what terrain you'll most likely be on. If forest trails then a hard tail will be fine it would also be fine for some of the more technical trails depending on your skill level. Down hill if you plan on going balls out down the side of a mountain.

One thing to consider mtb are already heavy so when you buy cheap with all the supposed bells and whistles they tend to be heavy.

I got a Canyon spectral and couldn't recommend it more it'd a sweet ride. I had and still have a hard tail that I used to take for spins with the kids and occasionally forest trails. It was a grand bus also.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Go chat to Eric or Gary in MBW bike shop out in Moycullen.

http://mbwbikeshop.rideit.ie/

Most bike shops tend to focus on road rather than MTB, the lads above know what they are talking about re off-roading.
    They also hire bikes and have demo models available.

There are popular trails in Moycullen next to the shop, Clarenbridge and Derroura just a few k's past Oughterard.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Start at the top of the hill and go down it as fast as you can!

My advice is to go to somewhere like bike park ireland and rent a bike, and get a feel for it. Get yourself some comfortable shorts, they don't have to be super expensive, just don't get the really cheap ones, saving a few bob on shorts isn't worth having an ill fitting sponge soaked with gritty water rubbing off your tender region for a few hours.

A hard tail bike will help you learn things like picking a smooth line, and making little corrections, which are vital skills to have, a full susser will smooth out the trail a lot and you'll bulldoze the little things that will take a bit of thought on a hard tail. Buying a cheap/ entry level specced machine is a bit of a false economy, as when the bug bites you'll end up forking out lots of money on upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Thanks All, that's the information I was seeking.

I'll try the guys in Moycullen first and talk about equipment etc.
    Clarinbridge trail is only up the road from me.

(I'm also close to the Burren if anyone has more specific information on this that would be good but a little off topic here).

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There's a mtb spin coming up next month in the Burren but it might be a bit advanced possibly not I've never done it. There's a thread about it on here.

Either way the club running it might be of interest to you. If they have a mix of mtb and road cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bounce around the country and rent as you go before purchasing, warning, it's addictive, tends to lead to empty bank account and angry partner! Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am sort of in the process of taking up MTB as my son has an interest.

What I found out so far from my first session on a rented hardtail is that I'm really, really bad at it. I understand the theory but I'm on the brakes far too much and in all the wrong places.

Whereas weight in a road bike feels important, it doesn't in a MTB to the same extent. It feels like about 75% skill, 20% fitness and 5% equipment. Maybe that will change if/when I improve.

Lumen wrote:
    Whereas weight in a road bike feels important, it doesn't in a MTB to the same extent. It feels like about 75% skill, 20% fitness and 5% equipment. Maybe that will change if/when I improve.

Ah keep trying, it really is addictive. We 're all bad starting out. You 'll find improvements in all that you mentioned over time, and all improvements help, and better equipment helps a lot. I started on a half decent hardtail, currently on full Suss enduro, world apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lumen wrote: »
    I am sort of in the process of taking up MTB as my son has an interest.

What I found out so far from my first session on a rented hardtail is that I'm really, really bad at it. I understand the theory but I'm on the brakes far too much and in all the wrong places.

It reminds me a bit of skiing, technical and the earlier you start the better; before self preservation instinct starts increasing firstly linearly and then exponentially with age....

I faction fought proudly with my GAA club into early 30's without a regard for injury, missing work etc etc. One day in my mid 30's I went out to play with the recurring thought "what happens if I brake my leg today". It was my last game and the day I got old!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

It's a never ending expenditure - lots of fun, but comes at a price...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

n1st wrote:
    How do I start?

I'm in Galway and would love to start some forest trails for the winter.

Buying gear seems to be the wrong thing todo right now.
    Hi, as others have said, I would start out by hiring a bike. Dont go spending thousands on a bike when u might not stick it out.
    I don't know much about Galway mountain biking but you have derroura out in Connemara. There's also a place in porttumna that would be great as a beginner.
    Places like Ballyhoura on the Limerick/ cork border would be ideal to start mountain biking as it covers all abilities. There's both uphill a downhills, a real mix of terrain.
    You can hire a bike for 35euro a day Inc helmet and puncture repair kit. I live near here and it's a great spot. Give me a shout if you come down and I'll come out with you and give you some tips. I have the trail cycle leader qualification so can teach beginners mountain biking. (No charge or anything)☺
    There's also bike park Ireland in Roscrea which is very different to the above. Very fast downhills with big jumps.
    You also have ballinastoe in Wicklow and ticktock in Dublin.

Mountain biking is a great buzz whatever the weather and keeps you in shape too...bonus☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

My advice, don't listen to experienced mountain bikers who tell you everything is easy technically when you're struggling. They forget what it's like to be a beginner and you have to know your limits.

HT is a good place to start as it makes you learn skills, full suss lets you just batter down some stuff and get away with it.

Good thing about mountain biking is that is makes road cycling seem much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Any places in/near Dublin that would rent a bike on site?
    Keen to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Don't agree with starting out on a hardtail - If you're renting a bike get a full sus and enjoy your time on it. You don't want to come away from your first forays on a MTB cursing the discomfort or the difficulty of controlling your hardtail - Full Sus will make everything bar climbing just that bit easier for you as a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I've only started back recently and its great crack,
    Rent a bike or get a loan if possible see if you like it first...or buy a cheap 2nd hand hardtail purely for price...
    Helmet, knee pads and be prepared to crash....enjoy it

OSI wrote: »
    Ballinastoe and Ticknock both have bike rental places.

http://www.biking.ie/index.php/bike-hire

theyve some lovely vitus's for rent. fantastic bikes

If mountain biking you want to be looking as far ahead on the trail as possible especially on the downhills.

If you are climbing you should usually be seated.
    If you are going downhill you should stand up on the pedals, arms slightly bent, looking ahead The pedals should generally be in the 9-3 position. You should be covering the brakes with one or two fingers, no more. This is called the attack position.

You have a lot more control of the bike underneath you if you are standing up on the pedals. If you go downhills seated you are more likely to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ec18

I started earlier this year. My first two days were hiring bikes in ballinastoe and after those I decided that I wanted to stick with it. Got a hardtail with 100mm fork at the front on bike to work so got the basics at a good deal.Picked up another few bits in sales and that on chain reaction cycles.

Best advice is just get out there and try some trails just get some local knowledge as to the level and make sure they are easy to roll down not technical with Jumps.

Good luck it's an amazing sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TooObvious wrote: »
    Don't agree with starting out on a hardtail - If you're renting a bike get a full sus and enjoy your time on it. You don't want to come away from your first forays on a MTB cursing the discomfort or the difficulty of controlling your hardtail - Full Sus will make everything bar climbing just that bit easier for you as a beginner.
    But for a beginner, isn't full suss just a crutch for poor technique, like sitting during descents or having weight too far forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Hi, I am also interested in starting mountain biking. Based in North Cork and Louth. I understand there are good spots in both locations. I bought a Giant Yukon (2008) hardtail years ago with the intention of getting into mountain biking properly. But I only used it on forest roads for a few summers. It seemed able to take some punishment but would this bike be able for more technical trails? I would love to ride some proper trails. Also, as posted above, I'd be willing to travel to Ballyhoura for an evening during the week if there was a 'beginner session' taking place. I don't know anyone who could take me out. Thanks

Hi, I am also interested in starting mountain biking. Based in North Cork and Louth. I understand there are good spots in both locations. I bought a Giant Yukon (2008) hardtail years ago with the intention of getting into mountain biking properly. But I only used it on forest roads for a few summers. It seemed able to take some punishment but would this bike be able for more technical trails? I would love to ride some proper trails. Also, as posted above, I'd be willing to travel to Ballyhoura for an evening during the week if there was a 'beginner session' taking place. I don't know anyone who could take me out. Thanks

I could take you mountain biking in Ballyhoura if you want. I'll give you a lesson on braking, gearing, climbing and descending. This would be aimed at beginners, nothing technical just a good day out.
    It would have to be either this weekend or next weekend Sat or Sun.
    I will be hiring a bike myself because I sold mine recently so I can go back to college in September.

Anybody else interested in a introduction to mountain biking?

TooObvious wrote: »
    But for a beginner, isn't full suss just a crutch for poor technique, like sitting during descents or having weight too far forward?
    I agree, but depends what kind of riding you want to do - if you're not planning on racing enduro and only want to ride around trail centres a HT is perfect (less maintenance too). Used a HT the first year (to develop skills) and now have a full sus trail bike for more adventurous days out in the hills. If racing beginner level XC like the blitz, the HT is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

nak wrote: »
    I agree, but depends what kind of riding you want to do - if you're not planning on racing enduro and only want to ride around trail centres a HT is perfect (less maintenance too). Used a HT the first year (to develop skills) and now have a full sus trail bike for more adventurous days out in the hills. If racing beginner level XC like the blitz, the HT is perfect.

I've two 29er hardtails and a full suspension bike also ... I ride the full suspension bike once or twice a year! As Nak says, it really depends on what you want to do but a hardtail is more than adequate for any of the Coillte stuff and anything that a beginner would be attempting! Decent full suspension bikes are expensive ... cheap ones are usually poorly specced and very heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

That's one way of looking at it. But if you were taking up any sport and had a choice to use something that would make it easier and more fun wouldn't you choose that?

Also, I wouldn't buy into the idea that having a full suss, means you don't learn technique, most people soon figure out what they can and can't do on a MTB with or without suspension. I think there are plenty of people who get hardtails as an excuse so they can't go downhill too fast - thus limiting their high speed skills!

FWIW i started out on a hardtail, and my current bike is rigid, but if I was renting a bike I would go full sus for the fun, and if I knew then that i loved MTB, and had the resources, I would by a full sus.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I'm a roadie, and relatively infrequent MTBer. I love it when I get out, but it is not going to be my main sport. But I like to be okay at it when I do it. Just to add to the conversation here are the things that I think worked for me.
    1. Full suss. I just think that it gives me wiggle-room to be slightly off line and get away with it.
    2. Brake-levers near enough that I can use 1 finger. This allows me to sit right back and pull the bars and at least try to manual for big stones and drop-offs.
    3. Dropping seat post right down just before starting descent. able to get weigh right back.
    4. Stay on official trail. It gives me the confidence that someone knowledgeable has built it, and the BB/chain ring can clear a big obstacle.
    5. Loose the clip-less pedals. I started with SPDs, but something in the back of my mind kept niggling that was too afraid of not being able to clip out, even though it is second nature a road bike. So I bought flats, and its a game-changer (for me).
    6. Move around the bike. This comes with time and confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

The main drawbacks of full suspension for a beginner are the expense, the maintenance, and the weight, in that order. So if you're renting a bike to try it out, or find a good deal second hand (maybe with the help of someone who knows what's a good deal), I see no reason not to go for a full suspension. Also there's a difference between a full suss XC bike and a full on Enduro machine. A rental bike probably won't have the suspension correctly setup for your weight, which would be annoying, HT or full suss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Just to jump in, if starting off and trying it out for the day, a hardtail is more than adequate, especially for Coillte trails, the majority is perfectly rideable on a hardtail and you'll most likely not be going fast enough to the point of where you need the rear suspension to 'save' you.

If you like it and want to persevere, pick up a hardtail, it'll help you learn the skills of how to react with the bike moving about underneath you and how to deal with limited grip, particularly under braking and on rough ground.
    These are skills that'll serve you well down the line.

If you like it, but really don't care too much about advancing skills and want something comfortable and will help you, and have the cash, buy a full sus.

Depending on where you ride, walk the trails, practice features, try new lines, learn how using your weight can help you to skip over and drop off things.

Learn to jump, it doesn't have to be high, but get used to getting off the ground, so that you know how to handle it should it happen without warning.

Someone posted here not to go out with experienced MTB'ers, I call bull**** on that, find a club and join it if you can, you will not progress at any rate until you find natural places to ride and some tips from others on how to do things that's not obvious to yourself, joining a club has been the best thing I have ever done.

I started out 3 years ago on a hardtail, and still ride it as often as my full sus, jumping is my big weakness, but I'm comfortable on almost any trails and the trail centre stuff bores me.

For the OP, give these guys a shout https://www.facebook.com/Galway-MTB-128602107205866/

If you've contacted MBW they've probably already told you to do the same.

• Advertisement

rizzodun wrote: »
    Someone posted here not to go out with experienced MTB'ers, I call bull**** on that, find a club and join it if you can, you will not progress at any rate until you find natural places to ride and some tips from others on how to do things that's not obvious to yourself, joining a club has been the best thing I have ever done.

I don't think anyone posted not to go out with experienced riders. If you're referring to my comment about experienced riders forgetting what it like to be a beginner, I was just going on my experience - people regularly state stuff isn't technical. It isn't to them because they've been doing it for 20 years, but it can be to a beginner.

It's great to learn from someone more experienced but you need to find the right group for you. I know someone who never went mountain biking again because an experienced rider tried to get them to ride an enduro stage they believed wasn't technical in Ticknock on a HT one of the first times they went out. Took me a while to find a group I was comfortable with and have learned a lot since.

Advertisement