Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when will the new stretch of clontarf to sutton open?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Veloce150 wrote: »
    Roadies should watch out for the 'cyclists dismount' sign at the road works on the outbound route before Killester.
    I'm always troubled by these signs.

Having dismounted, for how long should I stand before remounting and carrying on? Should I salute or something?

Or should I just whizz by shouting "Oh no they don't!!"...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'm always troubled by these signs.
    do i recall hearing that they have no legal standing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I cycle that route daily out and back on a road bike. It is pretty broken up in spots but it's quite manageable at the moment. It has deteriorated quite a bit in the past couple of months so I imagine it will get more uneven.

I was talking to one of the lads working there last week while waiting for the lights and he suggested that they were getting ready to resurface in the next few weeks. He wasn't sure what section they were going to work on next but he thought they might stop/ease off over the winter.

Hopefully the work will be done before that pot hole on the left after the bike shop manages to sneak its way across the whole road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I was talking to one of the lads working there last week while waiting for the lights and he suggested that they were getting ready to resurface in the next few weeks. He wasn't sure what section they were going to work on next but he thought they might stop/ease off over the winter.

I think this has more to do with the nesting /breading season than anything else

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think this has more to do with the nesting /breading season than anything else
    Breeding doesn't happen over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Resurfacing of the road is due to take place later this month. This is from the Dublin City Council website:

James Larkin Road, Dublin 5.

KN Network Services intends to close the following road to facilitate road resurfacing work on the dates and times listed below:

James Larkin Road (from Clontarf Road/Mount Prospect Road to Causeway Road), Dublin 5 between 19.00hrs to 07.00hrs each night from Monday 15th August 2016 to Monday 29th August 2016.

Traffic Management Plan

Outbound traffic on Fairview wishing to travel on Clontarf Road & James Larkin Road to Kilbarrack, Sutton and Howth will be diverted via Howth Road.
    Inbound traffic on Dublin Road wishing to travel on James Larkin Road to Clontarf Road will be diverted via Howth Road, Sybil Hill Road and Vernon Avenue.
    Pedestrian access will be maintained.

does anyone know if this actually started this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The great north dublin bike ride is using that road so it could be fun if it's not ready

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Is that large blue water pipe going under the existing cycle track from the causeway to sutton ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

does anyone know if this actually started this week?

Not as of yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Earlier this week we received further information from DCC that the contractor, KN Networks, will not be able to carry our the road resurfacing during the above times. The works are now rescheduled for Monday 22nd - 29th August, between 7pm and 7am. A further week closure is also intended to be scheduled for a later date.

http://www.clontarf.ie/news/update-on-scheduled-road-closures-for-james-larkin-road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How could a pedestrian crossing only be included at this stage? Is there no planning process here at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

do i recall hearing that they have no legal standing?
    Merely 'advisory' when on an orange background, but if there's an accident, they can use it to deflect liability.

It's more the mindset of road engineers that bothers me, cycle facilities seem to exist at their grace and favour rather than as an essential service, like, ahem... roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

How could a pedestrian crossing only be included at this stage? Is there no planning process here at all?

Could well be the classic contractor ploy - if the job is running late and you are facing a penalty for late handover, bang in a claim for late information, extra work and additional time.

Looked at it last night in passing and, other than a couple of small sections where the drainage pipe is still uncovered, it seems very close to the stage where at least a base layer of tarmac could be laid. As others have pointed out, it will need to be paved before the Dublin Bike Ride on 11th September as both routes head out that way.

well, if a potential improvement to the plan was mooted before they were finished, it'd be idiotic to rule it out and try to shoehorn it in six months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I kind of meant how could you put up a pedestrian crossing with out getting planning permission? The Corpo sued a 90 year old grannie for a satellite dish on her house, but they can stick up ped crossings willy nilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I see the roads going to be closed for 2 weeks in October so they can finish it off.
    James Larkin Road, Dublin 5.

KN Network Services intends to close the following road to facilitate road resurfacing work on the dates and times listed below:

James Larkin Road (from Clontarf Road/Mount Prospect Road to Causeway Road), Dublin 5 from 00.00hrs on Monday 10th October to 24.00hrs Monday 24th October 2016.

Traffic Management Plan

Outbound traffic on Fairview wishing to travel on Clontarf Road & James Larkin Road to Kilbarrack, Sutton and Howth will be diverted via Howth Road.

Inbound traffic on Dublin Road wishing to travel on James Larkin Road to Clontarf Road will be diverted via Howth Road, Sybil Hill Road and Vernon Avenue.
    Pedestrian access will be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

neris wrote: »
    I see the roads going to be closed for 2 weeks in October so they can finish it off.

Imagine if any strikes fall on those days traffic will be carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

Weepsie wrote: »
    Imagine if any strikes fall on those days traffic will be carnage

just take the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

There will also be roadworks on North Strand Road around this time, so traffic will be "annoyed".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

They've surfaced some part of the track with concrete. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Raam wrote: »
    They've surfaced some part of the track with concrete. Hmm.

Were you expecting marshmallows and angel hair?

or is that just the road bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Leroy42 wrote: »

snigger! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Leroy42 wrote: »

Would be nice, but I'll settle for tarmac :)

Advertisement