Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live football on TV

• 11-08-2016 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

I thought it would be nice to have a thread discussing live football on TV as I am not aware of a website that lists specifically and only matches shown in Ireland. Live football on TV is great but it's for the UK.

But if not, I have a specific question anyway :

Can anybody explain why Eir and Virgin media are not showing the Live Premier League featuring Everton v Spurs on Saturday 13th August 2016 on Sky Sports 5??

Sky have it scheduled in their planner but Eir and Virgin Media do not.

Why not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

sawfish wrote: »
    I thought it would be nice to have a thread discussing live football on TV as I am not aware of a website that lists specifically and only matches shown in Ireland. Live football on TV is great but it's for the UK.

But if not, I have a specific question anyway :

Can anybody explain why Eir and Virgin media are not showing the Live Premier League featuring Everton v Spurs on Saturday 13th August 2016 on Sky Sports 5??

Sky have it scheduled in their planner but Eir and Virgin Media do not.

Why not?

The Sky Sports/Virgin thing was discussed in this thread.

You can see sports on Irish TV listed here BTW - http://www.getyourfixtures.com/ie/tvguide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Sky Sports/Virgin thing was discussed in this thread.

You can see sports on Irish TV listed here BTW - http://www.getyourfixtures.com/ie/tvguide

Discussed but not resolved in that thread.

And thanks but that website is not good compared to the ideal version (Click here for example showing UK listings), it only shows a day at a time.

As far as I can see there is no way to list a week or a month in one view.

And it also shows loads of streams and other TV shows when you try to filter it to show only soccer rather than other sports.

Furthermore it doesn't list the Saturday 3pm game in question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd imagine virgin just made a mistake on their TV guide. How could they show a different sky sports 5

Unearthly wrote: »
    I'd imagine virgin just made a mistake on their TV guide. How could they show a different sky sports 5

Wouldn't be surprised. Typical example of their unprofessional-ism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Free football on the box -

BBC MOTD Saturday (One), MOTD2 Sunday (Two usually) and new midweek MOTD (Two) with Gabby Logan on Thursdays, FA Cup 2016-17

ITV CL and EL highlights, England internationals friendly and competitive, ITV4 occasional internationals and club friendlies plus FA Youth Cup semi-finals and final

C5 Football League highlights Saturdays and League Cup 2016-17 highlights Wednesday nights

• Advertisement

mod snip

Only interested in TV channels, I can't imagine these streams are legal?

This thread won't be long being shut down if illegal streams are discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Does Sky Sports 5 on Virgin show Irish adverts? If it does then it will be showing the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

This thread won't be long being shut down if illegal streams are discussed.

Yeap. Do not discuss streaming please. Its against the charter to share such streams so please don't let the topic turn that direction or we'll have to close it down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If you have a 4K TV and Sky Q silver box, you can watch the PL games on Sky Sports in Ultra HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,334 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Needs to be a sticky or will disappear off the 1st page pretty soon

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    If you have a 4K TV and Sky Q silver box, you can watch the PL games on Sky Sports in Ultra HD.

Yes looking forward to this. I watched forest Gump in UHD but it was a bit meh. Not sure if it's because it's an old film. I thought they'd launch it with a recent blockbuster like Star Wars or the Martian.

Sport always looked best in HD, so this will be the proper test this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This new Dazn service looks very good value indeed.
    Its perfectly legal too btw if you live in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
    DAZN, a new live and on-demand online streaming service focusing on sports, launched today in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

The main idea behind DAZN is very similar to what services like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video offer, but for sports: provide users with live and on-demand sports content for a flat fee.

DAZN customers may watch games and events of the following sports leagues (among others): Premier League, LaLiga Santander, Serie A, Ligue 1, NBA, NFL, ATP World Tour, WTA, PDC and CHL. There is also Rugby, boxing, motorsport, horse racing, bowling, and ice hockey content.

The service is available for €9.99 per month. A free 30 day trial is offered currently, and users may cancel the service at any time. Also, two simultaneous logins are allowed.

It appears that it is limited to Germany, Austria and Switzerland currently though.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/10/dazn-the-netflix-of-sports-launches/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Brighton v forest live on sky sports 1 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://liveonsat.com/los_soc_br_uk_irish_ALL.php

This site shows what channels show football.The States and Canada do very well for live games.Even watching a game on NBCSN you get all the goals from the other games at half time and full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Are we going to see Lineker in his undies on MOTD Saturday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What Premier League games are on what channels today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What Premier League games are on what channels today ?

Leicester 'Ull Sky Sports 1 12.30
    Spurs Toffees Sky Sports 5 3pm Ireland only.
    City Sunderland 5.30 BT.

Sky have every La Liga game this season? Nice

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Unearthly wrote: »
    Sky have every La Liga game this season? Nice

All available on red button are they? What about the 2.45 - 5.15 blackout?

5starpool wrote: »
    All available on red button are they? What about the 2.45 - 5.15 blackout?

Just going by what they advertised at half time during Leicester match. Every la liga match is how they advertised it

• Advertisement

We'll find out soon enough I guess. I had the ads muted so didn't hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My Sky Sports 5 planner not showing Spurs vs Everton, guess i'll see at 15:00

TheDoc wrote: »
    My Sky Sports 5 planner not showing Spurs vs Everton, guess i'll see at 15:00

The pre game build up is on now with Quinn as pundit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

is this on Sky Sport 5 HD on Virgin? can only see it in SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

zerks wrote: »
    http://liveonsat.com/los_soc_br_uk_irish_ALL.php

This site shows what channels show football.The States and Canada do very well for live games.Even watching a game on NBCSN you get all the goals from the other games at half time and full time.

Bein Sports show all the 3pm goals as they happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

kingtiger wrote: »
    is this on Sky Sport 5 HD on Virgin? can only see it in SD

Exact same.
    Match on SS5 SD, and WWE on SS5 HD. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Exact same.
    Match on SS5 SD, and WWE on SS5 HD. :confused:

think we have to wait for their "Sky Sport Mix" channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

When is that Sky Sports Mix coming?

Yes. Yes we are. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

We did

_90781966_gary_motd_final.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Bateman wrote: »
    When is that Sky Sports Mix coming?

Think I read somewhere that it will be on air from the 24th August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

scary lack of body hair on lineker, you'd nearly swear he was preparing for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

retalivity wrote: »
    scary lack of body hair on lineker, you'd nearly swear he was preparing for this!

I've barely any noticeable hair on my chest or arms either so he could just be like myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

The RTE listings show
    Live UEFA Champions League 17 Aug 2016 7:20pm

Dundalk v Legia Warsaw
    Dundalk v Legia Warsaw (Kick-off 7.45pm). Tony O'Donoghue is joined by Kenny Cunningham and Richie Sadlier for live coverage of the play-off first-leg clash at the Aviva Stadium. With commentary by Ger Canning and Brian Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

eamonpk wrote: »
    With commentary by Ger Canning

Good thing I'm heading to the game so.... Jesus.

• Advertisement

Stoke Vs Tottenham is the 3pm kick off today on Sky Sports.

Bit of a pain to find out as any TV guides I have seen to date follow the UK listings which don't have these 3pm kick offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I reckon I'll be on the couch for most of the day!

Saturdays 3pm kickoff is Swansea vs Manchester City on Sky Sports 5.

Manchester United V Leicester at Lunchtime on SKY and Arsenal v Chelsea at 530pm on BT Sport.

A decent day of football on TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This new Dazn service looks very good value indeed.
    Its perfectly legal too btw if you live in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/10/dazn-the-netflix-of-sports-launches/

They really need something like that here for people interested in the legal streaming route, but with the Sky BT monopoly on the footie I doubt that will happen soon...

The Liverpool match the other night wasn't on anywhere legally at all to watch, even though i could watch it I can't see why it couldn't be streamed somewhere legally...

Some apartment complexes can't get sky and not all places can hang a dish either, would make sense to "sell" matches online, surprised it hasn't happened yet...

I won't discuss what river's I use for my matches here obviously, but I should not have to in order to watch a match...

Premier league pass legally streams all of the premier league games in New Zealand however you would need a New Zealand VPN connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Fieldog wrote: »
    They really need something like that here for people interested in the legal streaming route, but with the Sky BT monopoly on the footie I doubt that will happen soon...

The Liverpool match the other night wasn't on anywhere legally at all to watch, even though i could watch it I can't see why it couldn't be streamed somewhere legally...

Some apartment complexes can't get sky and not all places can hang a dish either, would make sense to "sell" matches online, surprised it hasn't happened yet...

I won't discuss what river's I use for my matches here obviously, but I should not have to in order to watch a match...

For the exact reason you mention, the league sell the rights entirely to Sky and BT, and therefore can generate more revenue.

Many other sports have moved on, but whilst the money is so large for the TV deals, it won't get segregated anytime soon.

Many Amercian sports now allow you to buy a season pass, where you get live coverage of all your preferred teams games in HD with no lag. My Dad used it for a bit and it was really impressive.

Before NSBC brought in their various locks, I used to watch United on their streams. 720p never a hitch of lag. They have all the PL rights and show every match.

It will come eventually and I'm looking forward to avoid having to buy entire sports packages to just watch United. Although if being honest cancelled my sports subs over two years ago. But if a legit method came along providing HD content, of just the team I watch, at a comparative pricing for the content, I'd be all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Has anyone used Premier League Pass or DAZN through VPN? I've seen a few sites now that are more robust with implementing their location restrictive rights, their blocking access to content through some VPN services.

Premier league pass legally streams all of the premier league games in New Zealand however you would need a New Zealand VPN connection

Last year that worked, but they lost the rights so it doesn't work anymore. I used it last year and it was great, but couldn't find anything similarly good this year, especially for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Is it just BT Sports that has the rights for Champions League rights in the uk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    Is it just BT Sports that has the rights for Champions League rights in the uk ?

Yes! The Europa League aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

toonarmy1 wrote: »

The paid nearly £1 Billion for the rights (incl. Europa League) :eek: ITV do have a highlights show on Wednesday nights.

This Saturday's 3pm kick off on Sky Sports 5 (in Ireland only) is Hull V Chelsea.

Did anyone catch that game between Guimaraes and Sporting on BT Sport X2 just now? Sporting were leading 3-0 with 17 minutes to go but the game finished 3-3. It was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Italy v Spain ITV4 tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

PL Matches on TV this weekend:

Saturday
    Man City v Chelsea
    12:30
    Sky Sports 1

West Brom V Watford
    15:00
    Sky Sports 5

West Ham v Arsenal