Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privately taxed van - private/commercial insurance?

Options
  • 11-08-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi looking to see if anyone has managed to get private insurance on a Van recently?

Have called around to all the usual suspects and none will provide a quote for various reasons. I am an Engineer and employed by a company where the use of a van is helpful however not essentially required. Can get commercial insurance no bother but am I leaving myself open in the event of an incident for an insurance company not to pay out?

It is my only means of transport and as such will also be used for social and domestic use also. Most commercial policies I have seen also cover this.

Van was taxed commercially when I bought it but where I live doesn't allow commercial vehicles park, so had to change it to private tax or get clamped every night..don't ask!!

Any know a broker who might be able to help out? I cannot be the only one in this situtation. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi looking to see if anyone has managed to get private insurance on a Van recently?

Have called around to all the usual suspects and none will provide a quote for various reasons. I am an Engineer and employed by a company where the use of a van is helpful however not essentially required. Can get commercial insurance no bother but am I leaving myself open in the event of an incident for an insurance company not to pay out?

It is my only means of transport and as such will also be used for social and domestic use also. Most commercial policies I have seen also cover this.

Van was taxed commercially when I bought it but where I live doesn't allow commercial vehicles park, so had to change it to private tax or get clamped every night..don't ask!!

Any know a broker who might be able to help out? I cannot be the only one in this situtation. Thanks

Guy in work has a van for his mountain bikes etc. at weekends and he usually kips in it at events to stop them getting nicked. He used insuremyvan as far as I know. He said it's not commercial insurance as that's too expensive, he does have a small side business but his policy includes free business use! I was asking him as a neighbour wanted to do the same thing with a van but couldn't get quoted. All seemed to be a bit random.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HungryEllipsis

Very random alright. Can't find any definitive site or wording that bans a privately taxed van with commercial insurance.

Tried insuremyvan. Wont quote for private only insurance on a van. Got a quote for commercial insurance from them, think it's called flexi-van. At no location in the policy does it mention private tax or tax of any sort...nor does it restrict use to commercial only driving and covers social and domestic so will probably end up going with it.

Thanks for ur reply

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guy in work has a van for his mountain bikes etc. at weekends and he usually kips in it at events to stop them getting nicked. He used insuremyvan as far as I know. He said it's not commercial insurance as that's too expensive, he does have a small side business but his policy includes free business use! I was asking him as a neighbour wanted to do the same thing with a van but couldn't get quoted. All seemed to be a bit random.

Insure my van is a commercial insurance provider. My commercial policy was cheaper than my private policy so something doesn't sound right with your friends story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Very random alright. Can't find any definitive site or wording that bans a privately taxed van with commercial insurance.

Tried insuremyvan. Wont quote for private only insurance on a van. Got a quote for commercial insurance from them, think it's called flexi-van. At no location in the policy does it mention private tax or tax of any sort...nor does it restrict use to commercial only driving and covers social and domestic so will probably end up going with it.

Thanks for ur reply

Was in the same boat. Bought a Connect and tried to get insurance for private use only. N.O. Not a chance, doesn't happen, not possible in Ireland. You can forget about it now. Will not happen, zero chance, nada, zip zilch. I even tried the old "give me a letter of rejection then so I can force a quote". Was also told to Foxtrot Oscar, not applicable in this case.
    So in short, private van insurance, can not and will not happen for all the money in the world.
    Suddenly I "remembered" that I have to do "jobs in the field" in my IT job every now and then. hey presto, insurance sorted in half an hour.
    Make of that what you will...
    (Oh yes, don't tell the you're delivering stuff, they hate that)

I am moving to Germany, needless to say I got about 5 different quotes with absolutely zero problems whatsoever within 20 minutes...

Advertisement