Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get car insurance

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

shaunr68 wrote: »
    I'd be in the same boat, just moved from UK. Licence 30 years, three points about to expire. Last claim 27 years ago. I haven't got a NCB because I've been a named driver on the missus' policy for years. She has full NCB. We are paying around £230 fully comp, full EU cover on what I'd say without giving too much away is a reasonably mid-range but non-standard vehicle.

Strictly speaking we should import the vehicle and hunt around for an Irish insurer but no doubt never having had insurance over here before her NCB won't be recognised and we'll be expected to pay through the nose. You know what, the insurance companies can get to f***ery

I'm going to leave the vehicle registered at my parents' house and travel back (or to NI) for an MOT every year.

There's plenty to complain about with rip-off Britain but this is downright extortion.

Leaving the car on the UK plates us where you will get caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

shaunr68 wrote:
    Predominantly fronting and large scale fraudulent claims, as already discussed. I am not costing the Irish insurance industry a penny through my refusal to bend over and be shafted by them.

It reflects your bad moral hazard. It's all the same. Regardless of how you frame it.

If you want to focus on the words used it was you who said full EU cover. Yeah the legacy British Isles wording may change over there post-Brexit.

After that the need for minimum cover is dictated by an Eu directive. So it won't stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

jacksie66 wrote:
    Bloody hell insurance is insane at home. I bought a 98 mitsubishi diamante 3.0 v6 last week and got 3rd party fire and theft for 150 new Zealand dollars. About 100 euro. How are people at home still putting up with it?

Because we never paid 100 quid for insurance. That's how we are putting up with it. As pointed out the NZ system is completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

peteb2 wrote: »
    It reflects your bad moral hazard. It's all the same. Regardless of how you frame it.

If you want to focus on the words used it was you who said full EU cover. Yeah the legacy British Isles wording may change over there post-Brexit.

After that the need for minimum cover is dictated by an Eu directive. So it won't stand
    Claims of morality while discussing insurance companies, yea that's a good one!

It isn't the same. I would never condone anything that cost ordinary policyholders money. Buying my insurance cover elsewhere doesn't. Brexit scaremongering aside I am confident that my insurance company will continue to cover UK & RoI as standard regardless of any EU-addons. I understand you don't approve and that's fine, I will try not to derail the thread any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Tzardine wrote: »
    There was a large protest recently in Dublin. Did you go ? Or do you prefer faux armchair outrage ?

I remember that and this is what seems crazy to me - tens of thousands turn up at protests for a piddly (relatively speaking) ~€160pa charge for water, but only a few hundred show up to protest €100s-€1,000s increase in Motor insurance. :(

I was lucky this year, my policy only went up a small amount and most of that was related to me switching to Class 2 cover. I'm dreading my renewal and if it's stupid money, I will be on the protest line beating a drumm ... (David Drumm :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

peteb2 wrote: »
    Are you sure your EU cover is for the year. Most here would be limited. And let's not mention Brexit for your scam.

Most policies in the continent and in the UK will cover you abroad for the entire duration of the policy, without having to tell them anything. Is it really a surprise insurance in Ireland is a scam?

Advertisement