Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Speedvan query

• 11-08-2016 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

having a debate with mates tonight so wanna clear it up :D

Am i right in saying the speedvans can only catch us (bikers) if the rear window of the van is facing the reg of your bike, as in parked on the road with you travelling away from it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They have CCTV in the cab where they could take the reg but Ive never heard it happen. Im sure someone around here will tell us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

afatbollix wrote: »
    They have CCTV in the cab where they could take the reg but Ive never heard it happen. Im sure someone around here will tell us.

I know but my argument is i taught that front cctv was for their own use and isint of a high quality/resolution as the rear cameras :) only a nOOb meself so just asking more experienced people :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Only the back window can catch you, handy when you only have plstes on the back of your bike ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what good is the cctv if the picture doesn't have the reg in it. surely you would argue that its might not be your vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Apparently the from CCTV camera is just for security purposes. The back is the business end.

A mate once overtook a car and ended up speeding directly into the crosshairs of a speed van doing 85/86mph. There was a flash and all my mate could say was 'cheese'. My mate never heard a single thing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Back window can catch you coming and going

Back window can catch you coming and going

how can the back window catch ya if uv no front reg tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

pudzey101 wrote: »
    how can the back window catch ya if uv no front reg tho

If you're "going" i.e. travelling away from the back of the van on the opposite side of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Front camera is ANPR for checking tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

cantdecide wrote:
    A mate once overtook a car and ended up speeding directly into the crosshairs of a speed van doing 85/86mph. There was a flash and all my mate could say was 'cheese'. My mate never heard a single thing about it.

Probably because there was 2 cars in the photo. They can't technically "prove" which car was speeding (even though it's obviously the overtaking car) so it is thrown out. Same thing happened me a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You have it spot on in the opening post. Essentially if you can draw a line from the camera in the back window to your reg plate then thats it (provided your tax disc didnt slip down).

There is no other way they get you. Anyone who say otherwise is full of ****.

goodlad wrote: »
    You have it spot on in the opening post. Essentially if you can draw a line from the camera in the back window to your reg plate then thats it (provided your tax disc didnt slip down).

There is no other way they get you. Anyone who say otherwise is full of ****.

Thanks :) must tighten up that screw on my number-plate , wind keeps blown tax holder over the plate :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Garda van or GoSafe? There are Garda vans with front and rear cams, only Garda vehicles have access to ANPR.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

bladespin wrote: »
    Garda van or GoSafe? There are Garda vans with front and rear cams, only Garda vehicles have access to ANPR.

I had a good gander at the front facing camera of a Garda van parked up in Cork Street. The front facing camera is far larger then anything required just for security. It was angled to pick up vehicles either passing the van from behind or travellng towards the front of the van. I would definitely advocate caution around a Garda van whichever direction you are travelling. Given how easy they are to spot, anybody (making progress) with half decent obs ought to pick them up in plenty of time to brake.

Advertisement