Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

gosplan wrote: »
    So you're saying that Trump shouldn't be in cabinet but should be president?

Riiiiigggghhhhhttttttt.

More so than a one-term Senator who accomplished virtually nothing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Amerika wrote: »
    Cabinet positions are given to people who have expertise in the areas of the appointment made by the president. What expertise did Hillary Clinton have?

Yale graduate Hillary Clinton?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Yale graduate Hillary Clinton?
    Perhaps all Yale Graduates should move directly into cabinet and high ranking administrative positions of the most powerful country in the world after graduation. Now I have something else to get on my daughter’s back about for turning down Yale. I can now say... 'See, you could be running the whole damn country in less than three years... but noooooo, you had to be a big fish in a little pond! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Add a context to links please instead of clickbait comments.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

a state is trying to deny 45,000 new voters the right to vote most of The of the 45,000 are African American!

In mid-September, didn’t the Indiana Secretary of State determine this group turned in forged voter registration applications that had changed voters’ addresses to an address not associated with the voter, without the knowledge of the voter?

In mid-September, didn’t the Indiana Secretary of State determine this group turned in forged voter registration applications that had changed voters’ addresses to an address not associated with the voter, without the knowledge of the voter?

Can you link to that report.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

a state is trying to deny 45,000 new voters the right to vote most of The of the 45,000 are African American!

I don't see what is scary. The state police in Indiana are investing if there is voter fraud.
    Why did these people leave voter registration to the last minute?
    Plus if there is suspicion it is better for democracy that it is investigated.

Can you link to that report.
    Sure, here is the information you requested. Does it make any difference, or should we ignore these type of reports and stick to the myth of GOP fraud, because it plays well here to those who would rather avoid their eyes to media bias from the likes of ThinkProgress?

http://fox59.com/2016/09/15/secretary-of-state-urges-hoosiers-to-check-their-voter-registration-after-reports-of-fraud/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

More so than a one-term Senator who accomplished virtually nothing.

One term?

If you're giving out about the First Lady being a political appointment, that's fair enough.

But then you're conceding that she's held a political office unbroken since 1993.

One term?

If you're giving out about the First Lady being a political appointment, that's fair enough.

But then you're conceding that she's held a political office unbroken since 1993.

I think you misunderstand me. I was referring to Barack Obama elected president after being a one-term US Senator that accomplished very little, other than campaigning for president during that term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,353 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Perhaps all Yale Graduates should move directly into cabinet and high ranking administrative positions of the most powerful country in the world after graduation. Now I have something else to get on my daughter’s back about for turning down Yale. I can now say... 'See, you could be running the whole damn country in less than three years... but noooooo, you had to be a big fish in a little pond! :P

I think they're calling it the Jameis Winston Award, for the brave young crableg go-getter that wishes he went to Stanford instead of earning the Heisman at FSU ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,353 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sure, here is the information you requested. Does it make any difference, or should we ignore these type of reports and stick to the myth of GOP fraud, because it plays well here to those who would rather avoid their eyes to media bias from the likes of ThinkProgress?

http://fox59.com/2016/09/15/secretary-of-state-urges-hoosiers-to-check-their-voter-registration-after-reports-of-fraud/

They suspect 10 in 45,000; what happens to the other 44490 registered voters? Do they not get to vote?

Overheal wrote: »
    I think they're calling it the Jameis Winston Award, for the brave young crableg go-getter that wishes he went to Stanford instead of earning the Heisman at FSU ;)
    Now that's funny. :)

Did you see where the NFL is now blaming their ratings drop on the ‘unprecedented interest’ in this presidential election?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Overheal wrote: »
    They suspect 10 in 45,000; what happens to the other 44490 registered voters? Do they not get to vote?

The whole affair looks like it's hot air: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/10/26/marion-county-prosecutor-wades-into-voter-fraud-debate/92775908/

The Indiana Superintendent Doug Carter seems like a particular hot air merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,374 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As its sixteen years since the closest presidential election in history. A documentary about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

After a few pages of discussion on the Clinton emails affair, I've decided to create a new thread based on some recent posts. Please continue that discussion here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The NY Times is reporting that Hillary is ahead of Don by 5.6 % in the National Polling Average. In it's checking on the polls around the US, the Times reckons the overall status is that Hillary has a 92% chance to win the election. According to the report, the last update on the polls was sixteen (16) minutes ago. I don't know how regularly the poll average is checked for updates; hourly, 2 hourly or what.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjcsMPn1_vPAhUmLMAKHda5BKoQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2Finteractive%2F2016%2Fus%2Felections%2Fpolls.html&usg=AFQjCNGHEKxWLO_vPJELeBmVKmhWSnhEPQ

RealClearPolitics seems to have a larger polls checklist when it comes to letting people work out how things are running...

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjcsMPn1_vPAhUmLMAKHda5BKoQFgggMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realclearpolitics.com%2Fepolls%2Flatest_polls%2Fpresident%2F&usg=AFQjCNEeUFcW18oUGM-xHcJ63CrocMdsNw

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭httpete

aloyisious wrote: »
    The NY Times is reporting that Hillary is ahead of Don by 5.6 % in the National Polling Average. In it's checking on the polls around the US, the Times reckons the overall status is that Hillary has a 92% chance to win the election. According to the report, the last update on the polls was sixteen (16) minutes ago. I don't know how regularly the poll average is checked for updates; hourly, 2 hourly or what.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjcsMPn1_vPAhUmLMAKHda5BKoQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2Finteractive%2F2016%2Fus%2Felections%2Fpolls.html&usg=AFQjCNGHEKxWLO_vPJELeBmVKmhWSnhEPQ

RealClearPolitics seems to have a larger polls checklist when it comes to letting people work out how things are running...

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjcsMPn1_vPAhUmLMAKHda5BKoQFgggMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realclearpolitics.com%2Fepolls%2Flatest_polls%2Fpresident%2F&usg=AFQjCNEeUFcW18oUGM-xHcJ63CrocMdsNw

The NY Times? Who would have thought...just like CNN had Trump at 1% to win the Republican primaries. I am not a Trump supporter, I think he is not Presidential material, and I have no time for Clinton either. My pick was Rand Paul. In the previous election I think his father Ron Paul would have made a great President, its not often you find a politician with that kind of integrity and insight. Prior to that, I was very disappointed when Bush beat Al Gore, another man with rare integrity.

But in terms of this election, the media has been an absolute disgrace. Clinton is undoubtedly the most corrupt candidate in the history of US politics and if the Democrats didn't have the system (justice system and media) entirely sewn up she would be facing serious several criminal charges. But the top level Democrats and their financial backers have subverted the state to such an unprecedented level they are essentially untouchable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

httpete wrote: »
    The NY Times? Who would have thought...just like CNN had Trump at 1% to win the Republican primaries. I am not a Trump supporter, I think he is not Presidential material, and I have no time for Clinton either. My pick was Rand Paul. In the previous election I think his father Ron Paul would have made a great President, its not often you find a politician with that kind of integrity and insight. Prior to that, I was very disappointed when Bush beat Al Gore, another man with rare integrity.

But in terms of this election, the media has been an absolute disgrace. Clinton is undoubtedly the most corrupt candidate in the history of US politics and if the Democrats didn't have the system (justice system and media) entirely sewn up she would be facing serious several criminal charges. But the top level Democrats and their financial backers have subverted the state to such an unprecedented level they are essentially untouchable.

Yeah of what I saw of Ron Paul that guy really impressed me. He is a credit to the Republican party and he certainly stands tall among those in Congress. He also had exactly the same position as Sanders when it came to opposition to war. I salute him.

Any actual substance to go with the grand assertions about corruption?

Several charges? For what exactly?

Let's just leave the broader mass conspiracy theories where they belong.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    He also had exactly the same position as Sanders when it came to opposition to war. I salute him.

Ron Paul supported the war in Afghanistan, the NATO strikes in Kosovo, and the use of drones in the current conflicts? That's surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Erm, Trump is up on fraud charges, sexual assaults and harassment has become an issue for him too. Richard Nixon had that whole Watergate thing. But Hillary is the most corrupt? Right.........

alastair wrote: »
    Ron Paul supported the war in Afghanistan, the NATO strikes in Kosovo, and the use of drones in the current conflicts? That's surprising.

All positions shared by most in Congress and allies of America even Russia helped out in the case of Afghanistan. He also strongly supports the principal role of the gvt to defend their Nation from foreign attacks. The 9/11 attacks were a direct attack on America by a foreign terrorist organization.

alastair wrote: »
    Any actual substance to go with the grand assertions about corruption?

Several charges? For what exactly?

Let's just leave the broader mass conspiracy theories where they belong.

In fairness, and I'm totally impartial, there's a lot of muck in relation to the Clintonns, their public speaking and the whole private server thing.

I think the sum total of it is...

1: They are liberals who believe in supporting and helping the underprivileged. I think this is really important.

2: They also had no problem using their profile to seriously enrich themselves. I don't think there was anything Illegal here, just poor judgement and a bit of a character flaw. Like if they could hit a bank for a 10 million donation to the foundation, then get a 200k speaking gig at the same time, why not. Bad call to be honest. Especially given how wealthy they are. However ex presidents as a rule do this.

3: The email server was calculated. Secretary of State must have a lot of undesirable secrets/communications. Keep them in one place and hit delete. This was shrewd and probably necessary for someone who would be running for president.

4: Bill Clinton's accusers are a bit dodge. I've no doubt he enjoyed everything his profile brought but I'd be very dubious that he raped anyone. I don't think this has any real relevance to this campaign.

5: The above would rule HRC out against nearly everyone but Trump is so so woefully unsuited to a position of power. He's never had an altruistic bone in his body and that hasn't changed. This is all about him. He's ridden a xenophobic post financial crash wave of anger to get this far but wouldn't be a good president. Far too reactionary.

I'm not hailing Obama as some kind of God but he was 100% the other day when he said Trump isn't suited because he can't handle things not going his way.

He honestly has the temprement of a small child and that simply won't do.

However corrupt and self serving you think HRC is, Trump is actually dangerous. Simply by running he's created massive divisions that will take years to repair. Imagine a Trump presidency.

In fairness, and I'm totally impartial, there's a lot of muck in relation to the Clintonns, their public speaking and the whole private server thing.

I think the sum total of it is...

1: They are liberals who believe in supporting and helping the underprivileged. I think this is really important.

2: They also had no problem using their profile to seriously enrich themselves. I don't think there was anything Illegal here, just poor judgement and a bit of a character flaw. Like if they could hit a bank for a 10 million donation to the foundation, then get a 200k speaking gig at the same time, why not. Bad call to be honest. Especially given how wealthy they are. However ex presidents as a rule do this.

3: The email server was calculated. Secretary of State must have a lot of undesirable secrets/communications. Keep them in one place and hit delete. This was shrewd and probably necessary for someone who would be running for president.

4: Bill Clinton's accusers are a bit dodge. I've no doubt he enjoyed everything his profile brought but I'd be very dubious that he raped anyone. I don't think this has any real relevance to this campaign.

5: The above would rule HRC out against nearly everyone but Trump is so so woefully unsuited to a position of power. He's never had an altruistic bone in his body and that hasn't changed. This is all about him. He's ridden a xenophobic post financial crash wave of anger to get this far but wouldn't be a good president. Far too reactionary.

I'm not hailing Obama as some kind of God but he was 100% the other day when he said Trump isn't suited because he can't handle things not going his way.

He honestly has the temprement of a small child and that simply won't do.

However corrupt and self serving you think HRC is, Trump is actually dangerous. Simply by running he's created massive divisions that will take years to repair. Imagine a Trump presidency.

Except I would point one additional aspect out. Clinton shows a disregard for her fellow countrymen. IMO she would send more Americans and allies to their deaths in foreign wars and blame it on the Russians.

The thing is, even if you don't care for the speech fees, there's nothing inherently corrupt about them. The Clinton Foundation has its books audited and made public, the nod and a wink stuff about favours granted to both Foundation contributors and corporate speaker organisers has had zero substance when it comes down to it, and all the misappropriation stuff with regard to Haiti turns out to be guff.

Hillary certainly knows how to work the system to her advantage, but that doesn't imply any degree of corruption. The 'cosiness' with corporate interests seems to stem from a pragmatism about power brokering, but, once you accept she's a centrist with little ideological motivations beyond the territory Bill operated in, that seems pretty much in tune with the platform she's pitching. She's the anti-outsider, but if she can apply that insider knowledge / political craft to at least some of her platform over 4/8 years, then it's not the worst proposition ever. The bull**** she serves up is grand, if she actually achieves something with it.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Except I would point one additional aspect out. Clinton shows a disregard for her fellow countrymen. IMO she would send more Americans and allies to their deaths in foreign wars and blame it on the Russians.

I don't think you'd see any full scale military operations under her. More special forces with allies type thing. But yeah, she could have bad judgement there.

In short I think Clinton is pretending to be Bernie Sanders but realistically will be far more conservative/status quo.

But the way these things work out is always screwy. Obama wouldn't have gotten in without Bush, the war and the crash. Trump wouldn't have gotten a shot without 8 years of liberalism and the long terms effects of the crash.

Now Hillary's going to get in because of Trump.

I doubt she'll ever be that popular but of the economy picks up (which will have nothing to do with her) she'll take all the credit and her popularity will rise.

This is why the two party system is such a mess. It becomes a binary choice where unpopularity for your opponent or their predecessor means a win for you.

If global economic forces lead to a downturn in the US, the opposite party will get in.

Basically, their presidential election is more like a referendum. You're saying yes/no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,365 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Has the former Clinton Foundation CEO Eric Braverman story being proved a hoax yet?
    I can't find anywhere to say it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Trump is very nasty.

Trump is very nasty.

No more than the usual in American politics particular in the rural areas of the country. Proud of their country and tradition. I wouldn't forsake them for it. Plenty of racists where among the Obama fan club but they never had a controlling majority. The extreme left have also been radicalized by this election in a Nation that usually eschewed them to one side. A lot of Americans are just not represented at all that is why I believe Clinton to be the worse candidate. Trump at least wants to use his base to change America. Judging this on what I see before me now on the ground in America their could be a completely different picture.

. Trump wouldn't have gotten a shot without 8 years of liberalism and the long terms effects of the crash.

Jaysus! When did this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,515 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So many new voters because of Trump. 1000's of new people who have never voted or taken parts in polls will be out for Trump in ever state and town.
    How can these people be reflected in the current polls, I think they can't be. Who is going to ring a person who has never voted before to poll them.
    I think Trump will get huge support on the day. The race is still close, I don't see a landslide victory for either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,515 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pence's dog dies and now his plane goes off end of runway . Having bad luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hillary is doing well with early voters though, it seems she is getting her vote out. Trump's problem is while he attracts a fervent following he also brings out votes for Hillary, some of which may not have bothered voting otherwise.

Hillary is also way ahead in the u-30 vote.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Ah but he picked a great candidate to be VP for..... he must feel really, really, really lucky!!!

P.s. it's this kind of self delusion that replaces the American dream these days for millions of Americans. Pence being VP to a racist, simplistic, dangerous, demagogue is only symptomatic of that kind of American and that kind of America. America badly needs to reinvent itself and find it's mojo again under the next president (I.e. Clinton) cos otherwise it's looking more and more like a rapidly deteriorating super power with an angrier and more isolated lower middle class with each passing year. And that's a pity, in a land of plenty it world be nicer if people were happier....And the world would also be a safer, more secure place if that was so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I should be in bed, but I had CNN on there and Don Lemon is on, he started off his program by laughing at Donald Trump for saying Mike Pence and the people on the plane that skidded off the runway could have been in grave danger.
    Very unprofessional, because the plane was going too fast on landing and started its landing too late on the runway and even damaged the runway at La Guardia.
    Most people would have been terrified if they experienced that, and would not have seen it as funny.
    Whether he likes someone or not, he should look at the human side of things and not make little of it, which he did by calling it minor, despite on Anderson Cooper's show, they said Pence and the people on the plane were very lucky as they were not far from having a real disaster.

Has the former Clinton Foundation CEO Eric Braverman story being proved a hoax yet?
    I can't find anywhere to say it has.

Have you checked with the FBI? They might ascertain the facts.

To those who'll be more directly affected by the outcome (US voters) here, how much do you think voting will be done on the basis of "I'm voting for him/her cos of whom the O/P is" rather than a more relevant "i'M voting for him/her cos I know he/she is a better candidate and will do a better job"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

So many new voters because of Trump. 1000's of new people who have never voted or taken parts in polls will be out for Trump in ever state and town.
    Have you got links to show that Republican voter registration drives have been a massive success?

There was plenty of evidence prior to Obama's election that registration drives from the Democrats would be a significant factor. I hadn't heard anything indicating that would be the case for Republicans this year, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

To those who'll be more directly affected by the outcome (US voters) here, how much do you think voting will be done on the basis of "I'm voting for him/her cos of whom the O/P is" rather than a more relevant "i'M voting for him/her cos I know he/she is a better candidate and will do a better job"?
    Unfortunately not enough of the latter as people here seem to have this irrational sense of loyalty to their party, the whole two party system is a joke anyway but thats another discussion. Its scary how Republicans are able to convince themselves is a good candidate and better than Clinton, the man is the laughing stock of the rest of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

And to everyone trying to convince themselves the race is still close for the many unscientific reasons go to Vegas and put your house on it, you will get great odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,931 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Unfortunately not enough of the latter as people here seem to have this irrational sense of loyalty to their party, the whole two party system is a joke anyway but thats another discussion. Its scary how Republicans are able to convince themselves is a good candidate and better than Clinton, the man is the laughing stock of the rest of the world
    I'm in the group Carcharodon (great nick!) describes. Live here, US citizen, wife's a dual. Neither of us would've voted for HRC if there'd been a better candidate in any other party. Jill Stein's an opportunistic loon with situational ethics, her VP is some sort of space alien spawn, Gary Johnson's smoked too much weed and it's addled his brain, and Hair Furor...

So, holding our noses and voting for HRC since we CANNOT have Hair Furor in the WH. Period. If, say, Romney'd been the Republican nominee, well, that might've worked for us. If Sanders had been the nominee, we'd probably have voted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-voters-arent-just-voting-against-trump/

I am not voting (I am Irish) but some Americans have already run he stats in this. People voting for Clinton is roughly in line with presidents not named Obama. People voting for Trump and not simply voting against Clinton is low.

daithi7 wrote: »
    Ah but he picked a great candidate to be VP for..... he must feel really, really, really lucky!!!

P.s. it's this kind of self delusion that replaces the American dream these days for millions of Americans. Pence being VP to a racist, simplistic, dangerous, demagogue is only symptomatic of that kind of American and that kind of America. America badly needs to reinvent itself and find it's mojo again under the next president (I.e. Clinton) cos otherwise it's looking more and more like a rapidly deteriorating super power with an angrier and more isolated lower middle class with each passing year. And that's a pity, in a land of plenty it world be nicer if people were happier....And the world would also be a safer, more secure place if that was so.

It's the death of small town America.

I think a lot is from the crash but a lot more is just capitalism eating itself.

The economy will be fine but it'll be focussed on a few people at the top.

But everyone below will just get more and more pissed off because the country is not working for them.

People are very quick to slag trump supporters and middle America but that kind of misses the point of what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

It is taking longer for Clinton to be blaimed for this than I expected.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think a lot is from the crash but a lot more is just capitalism eating itself.

But everyone below will just get more and more pissed off because the country is not working for them.

People are very quick to slag trump supporters and middle America but that kind of misses the point of what's going on.

This is a very valid point.. Working class America has every reason to be angry at how things are working out (or not) for them right now and how wealth is being consolidated amongst a smaller and smaller group.

Which makes it all the more baffling that they picked a wealthy, entitled narcissist as their candidate of choice.

Setting aside all of his other multitude of failings , how anyone could perceive that he would fight for the average guy is unfathomable to me. Every single thing about him and his history indicates that he only cares about himself and will walk all over the little guy to get what he wants..

To be fair a similar claim could be leveled at the Clintons , but no one is labeling them as Champions of the common man as is being done with Trump...

However ,without question something will have to be done by the next administration to address the issues impacting the low to middle income group if they want US society to survive and thrive..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Agreed - it's very easy to discount Trump supporters as emotional, America First racists but that ignores the very real frustration they have at how a lot of their lives have been thrown on the scrapheap of capitalism, where their local 'traditional' industries have been off-shored or just simply closed down and their real incomes continue to shrink.
    They have seen their lives, in their view, being devalued or ignored and the 'elites' have done nothing for them, while they watch some people get a lot richer while they, increasingly, are either seen as working poor or just slipping further into poverty.

Then along comes a media star that they are familiar with, who has a lot of name recognition, telling them exactly what they want to hear, voicing their anger, perpetuating the feeling that the system is rigged against them, in a media landscape where balanced, nuanced reporting is, on the whole, non-existent and, naturally, they jump on board. They feel they have someone who will finally fight for them, and even though it seems pretty obvious that he won't, that this is nothing more than a vanity run that got out of control, they will not want to listen to that, they really need to believe someone is on their side and hence the passion in his supporters. The sad fact is that they will ultimately be disappointed, either if he wins and can't stop the trade deals, can't build the wall, can't make a material difference to their lives, or more likely he looses, and they feel they have been robbed again.

The market for a populist, anti-establishment figurehead (or demagogue, take your pick) clearly exists, the question is how will that market be exploited going forward? Because that's what will happen - their fear and anger will be exploited by a media-savvy figure-head, in a system fueled by special interest money and maintained in a media landscape focused purely on style and easy, sensationalist headlines and they will just get angrier and more disillusioned as the change they need, substantive change, will not happen....

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    The market for a populist, anti-establishment figurehead (or demagogue, take your pick) clearly exists, the question is how will that market be exploited going forward? Because that's what will happen - their fear and anger will be exploited by a media-savvy figure-head, in a system fueled by special interest money and maintained in a media landscape focused purely on style and easy, sensationalist headlines and they will just get angrier and more disillusioned as the change they need, substantive change, will not happen....
    This is the big issue facing the GOP in the coming years , if they don't change there's a good chance a figure like you describe above can hijack the nomination . Bring the crazy and you'll have a shot at running for President .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement