Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Think my post got missed in all that nonsense, and has also now been deleted, but.....has there been any talk on here about the Trump supporter who's been arrested for electoral fraud?

Shows how dangerous and misguided his rhetoric about the "widespread fraud" committed by Democrats really is.

Somebody did post about it, could well be in the electoral fraud thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The timing of the FBI investigations are surely odd. It could be seen as an attempt to change the election outcome. Since she is not going anywhere, surely such an investigation could wait until after the election?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

People who see through the hyperbole and realise she's by far the more qualified and competent candidate for president.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

An ABC poll that at one stage has Clinton 12% ahead of Trump, now have Clinton 1% ahead.
    A NYT poll has Trump 4% ahead in Florida.
    While another poll gives Clinton a commanding lead in North Carolina.

On CNN a few days ago, they asked if people were telling the truth to pollsters.
    They had some expert or so called expert who said he analysed the polls and then online polls and came to the conclusion that Trump has a small silent vote of 1%.

On another program they used artificial intelligence to predict the result, and the result was a Trump victory.
    Then an analysis of the stock market: it was found that in the 3 months before the presidential election that if the stock market was up, then the incumbent party won, if down the opposition won.
    Currently the main indexes on the US stock markets are down 1% for the three months which indicate a Trump victory.

At the moment one would say Clinton will win, but momentum seems to be with Trump and the question is - has Clinton built up a big enough firewall with early voting given recent events and even the change in the polls before the latest FBI probe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But what is there in the latest news to change minds on the emails anyway?

Nobody has a clue about what is actually in them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    But what is there in the latest news to change minds on the emails anyway?

Nobody has a clue about what is actually in them.

It just says, will we have 4 years of controversies with Clinton, like all the controversies that the Bill Clinton presidency suffered from.
    Then Hillary did a press conference which only had three questions asked before she left it - the latest controversy just highlights a problem that Clinton has been doing worse than Trump in when it comes to trsut and honesty in polls.
    When someone's actions when they were in power has been questioned and presumed over, then the Clinton campaign were all praise for Comey when it suited (Trump all complaints when it didn't) and now that unknown emails on her closest aides and her estranged husband Anthony Weiner's laptop is involved, and that are pertinent to the case...now all attack on Comey from Clinton or her people.
    At the very least, after all the destroyed and missing devices, the lies and after all devices were suppose to have been handed over to the FBI.
    It just adds to the trust and honesty problems that Hillary Clinton is suffering from.
    We saw why she didn't want to release the Goldman Sachs private speeches as they just added to the 'say one thing to the public, another in private'.
    Some polls say that anything up to 13% of people don't know who to vote for, I say many will not vote, but the latest events do not push people towards Clinton.

RobertKK wrote: »
    An ABC poll that at one stage has Clinton 12% ahead of Trump, now have Clinton 1% ahead.

On CNN a few days ago, they asked if people were telling the truth to pollsters.
    They had some expert or so called expert who said he analysed the polls and then online polls and came to the conclusion that Trump has a small silent vote of 1%.

On another program they used artificial intelligence to predict the result, and the result was a Trump victory.
    Then an analysis of the stock market: it was found that in the 3 months before the presidential election that if the stock market was up, then the incumbent party won, if down the opposition won.
    Currently the main indexes on the US stock markets are down 1% for the three months which indicate a Trump victory.

At the moment one would say Clinton will win, but momentum seems to be with Trump and the question is - has Clinton built up a big enough firewall with early voting given recent events and even the change in the polls before the latest FBI probe?
    the 538 model still has her winning with 79% odds; 77% polls plus.

The MSM is in the business of making the race seem tighter than it is because it keeps viewers watching which keeps sponsors buying ads.still I suppose "artificial intelligence" isn't as bad as 2008 when wolf blitzer ripped off Star Wars with the CNN "holographic interviews" oh and their "magic wall" - just a big touch screen tv. Wow. Popcorn please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Overheal wrote: »
    the 538 model still has her winning with 79% odds; 77% polls plus.

The MSM is in the business of making the race seem tighter than it is because it keeps viewers watching which keeps sponsors buying ads.still I suppose "artificial intelligence" isn't as bad as 2008 when wolf blitzer ripped off Star Wars with the CNN "holographic interviews" oh and their "magic wall" - just a big touch screen tv. Wow. Popcorn please
    That's still a 10% gain for Trump since the letter was released on Friday and even they are admitting they won't get a full picture until mid-week. Clinton will most likely still win with the support she has but the undecided won't move to her now, she is tainted.

Also, love how she asked the FBI to release the information they have, how does she not understand an agency is not going to release details of an ongoing investigation to anyone?

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    That's still a 10% gain for Trump since the letter was released on Friday and even they are admitting they won't get a full picture until mid-week. Clinton will most likely still win with the support she has but the undecided won't move to her now, she is tainted.

Also, love how she asked the FBI to release the information they have, how does she not understand an agency is not going to release details of an ongoing investigation to anyone?

With her being under investigation she has some right to know

She has a right to know what she is being investigated for. Also, if what she said is true, if she wasn't told about it before than the FBI fcuked up big time. But the FBI is under no obligation to disclose to her what information they have in the investigation. The only right she has is that if they do choose to prosecute for whatever reason, they have to inform her and disclose their evidence to her attorney. Apart from that they have no requirement to give her the information they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

That's still a 10% gain for Trump since the letter was released on Friday...

Actually, the poll you refer to was completed before the FBI announcement.
    Thus, the FBI's effect on the case has yet to be seen.

No she doesn't. Disagree? Then cite the right.

The FBI were looking for child sex emails on Anthony Weiner's laptop.
    They came across a substantial amount of state.gov emails and emails had come from Hillary's private server, but the FBI have not looked at the content of the emails as they have no authority at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,679 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The FBI were looking for child sex emails on Anthony Weiner's laptop.
    They came across a substantial amount of state.gov emails and emails had come from Hillary's private server, but the FBI have not looked at the content of the emails as they have no authority at this stage.

https://twitter.com/joshledermanAP/status/792076655338594304

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Maybe it's late but I'm lost why there is a link to a definition on the civil law of discovery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭nc6000

cnocbui wrote: »
    The version of events concerning the deleting of the emails I read is a bit different than what you seem to think happened.

The email service was provided by a private company. The server was not directly under the control of Clinton or her staff and wasn't physically accessible.

Several months before the FBI ever got involved a couple of Clinton's staff, one a lawyer, went through the emails flagging personal ones for purging and others for archiving. They then asked the company providing the email services to act. The person tasked to do the work didn't do as he was instructed. Months later When the FBI approached the company providing the server, a certain individual had an 'oh shít' moment and hastily went and did what he had been told to do months prior.

Why shouldn't she have her staff delete emails connected with organising Chelsea's wedding or which were similarly of a private nature?

Why didn't her campaign just say this then?

Today is the 30th of October, that tweet is dated 28/10/2016.

The metadata from the laptop is reported to have emails from Hillary's server.

Trump just said there are 650,000 emails on the laptop.

Today is the 30th of October, that tweet is dated 28/10/2016.

The metadata from the laptop is reported to have emails from Hillary's server.

Trump just said there are 650,000 emails on the laptop.

How does Trump know that there are 650,000 e-mails on the laptop?

• Advertisement

How does Trump know that there are 650,000 e-mails on the laptop?

The Wall Street Journal reported it. Along with metadata showing state.gov emails and emails that came from Hillary's private server being on the laptop.

The Wall Street Journal reported it. Along with metadata showing state.gov emails and emails that came from Hillary's private server being on the laptop.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fbi-to-search-650000-emails-on-weiners-laptop-in-clinton-probe-2016-10-30

"The review will take weeks at a minimum to determine whether those messages are work-related emails between Huma Abedin, a close Clinton aide and the estranged wife of Weiner, and State Department officials; how many are duplicates of emails already reviewed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation; and whether they include either classified information or important new evidence in the Clinton email probe, which FBI officials call “Midyear.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,679 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

How did they get this?

How did they get this?

They say their source is someone familiar with the case.
    Metadata found on the laptop used by former Rep. Anthony Weiner and his estranged wife Huma Abedin, a close Clinton aide, suggests there may be thousands of emails sent to or from the private server that Mrs. Clinton used while she was secretary of state, according to people familiar with the matter.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/laptop-may-include-thousands-of-emails-linked-to-hillary-clintons-private-server-1477854957

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Who deleted my post?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,687 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Who deleted my post?

I did. It was a reply to one which was deleted. Use the PM function if you have more questions please. Don't respond on thread.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Discovery?

(1) Discovery is law, not a right.

(2) Discovery occurs at pre-trial, after formal charges.

The FBI is investigating, no charges have been filed. She has no right to interfere in their investigation.

Juding from the FBI's 302 on Clinton, she'd only forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Amerika had a post asking me who was cherry picking polls to make Trump look good on his boards. There have been a few others since then but this will do as a prime example of how mother to use polling data. You can't go out and pick the ones you like. It is pure confirmation bias.

With regards to the emails coming from the Clinton server can you also supply a link that doesn't use the word may. It is again pure hope from you that Clinton has done anything worse than previous secretarys or worse than Trump (the latter would be a massive bar given his own court cases and admission of sexual assault but however).

FISMA. wrote: »
    Discovery?

(1) Discovery is law, not a right.

(2) Discovery occurs at pre-trial, after formal charges.

The FBI is investigating, no charges have been filed. She has no right to interfere in their investigation.

Juding from the FBI's 302 on Clinton, she'd only forget.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcrmp/rule_16

In Ireland it is usually called Disclosure, according to the above link while headed discovery throughout it seems to be called Disclosure, can any US lawyer confirm what is it usually called in criminal law.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Amerika had a post asking me who was cherry picking polls to make Trump look good on his boards. There have been a few others since then but this will do as a prime example of how mother to use polling data. You can't go out and pick the ones you like. It is pure confirmation bias.

With regards to the emails coming from the Clinton server can you also supply a link that doesn't use the word may. It is again pure hope from you that Clinton has done anything worse than previous secretarys or worse than Trump (the latter would be a massive bar given his own court cases and admission of sexual assault but however).

I think they have to use the word 'may' because what they are reporting is not in the open.

It is not pure hope from me, what you are doing is shooting the messenger. I could just have seen it and not reported.

My gut instinct is Hillary is very corrupt, and far more dangerous for the world.
    I don't like either, they would not be my choices, and so I don't bother defending either candidate, but people here are entitled to be very defensive of Clinton or Trump.
    I just don't believe the messenger should be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I did. It was a reply to one which was deleted. Use the PM function if you have more questions please. Don't respond on thread.

I want to follow your rules, by not replying on the thread but can't seem to turn on the PM function in my profile?

The Justice department have obtained a warrant for Huma Abedin's emails.

The Justice department have obtained a warrant for Huma Abedin's emails.

If they just obtained a warrant how did the Wall Street journal earlier report "as metadata on the device suggests there may be thousands sent to or from the private server that the Democratic nominee used while she was secretary of state, according to people familiar with the matter." It would either seem they have not examined the laptop before the warrant or they did and to try and correct the illegal search now try to correct that possible illegal search.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Surely no one in good conscience can vote for Hillary after this. That mask of respectability she's so carefully worked on all these years is slipping.

And the other person involved in this scandal, her campaign chairman, is married to a guy that enjoys sexting underage girls? This is Hillary's confidante? Two scorned women running America...er, no thank you.

Surely no one in good conscience can vote for Hillary after this. That mask of respectability she's so carefully worked on all these years is slipping.

And the other person involved in this scandal, her campaign chairman, is married to a guy that enjoys sexting underage girls? This is Hillary's confidante? Two scorned women running America...er, no thank you.

Unlike Trump who is actually facing a case which alleges he actually had sex with a underage girl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭nc6000

Unlike Trump who is actually facing a case which alleges he actually had sex with a underage girl!

Can you please post a link to a reputable source that backs that up?

I'm not defending Trump in any way but I think I saw elsewhere that that story was proved to be false.

If they just obtained a warrant how did the Wall Street journal earlier report "as metadata on the device suggests there may be thousands sent to or from the private server that the Democratic nominee used while she was secretary of state, according to people familiar with the matter." It would either seem they have not examined the laptop before the warrant or they did and to try and correct the illegal search now try to correct that possible illegal search.

They were looking for child porn on the laptop, and they looked at the metadata which did not show the email contents but where emails originated from and where emails were sent to - probably to avoid wasting time looking at emails from say Amazon, the cell phone company, electric company etc. which would not be relevant.
    This is how they found the Huma Abedin's emails which are said to be linked to Hillary's private server.
    Emails were not looked at, but they are emails that were not previously disclosed when all hardware associated with the private server was suppose to have been handed over.

That is bull and you know it.

• Advertisement

Someone correct me if I am wrong here but if classified emails are found in those emails, then surely, even if Clinton becomes president, she could be impeached as that would technically be treason, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

He is facing such a case. He also has a fraud case coming up in the next few weeks.(You may recall that time he went on the offensive against the judge on the case in his campaign) :D

nc6000 wrote: »
    Can you please post a link to a reputable source that backs that up?

I'm not defending Trump in any way but I think I saw elsewhere that that story was proved to be false.

A federal judge in New York has ordered counsel for Donald Trump and the disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein to appear in court along with the attorney for a woman referred to only as “Jane Doe” who alleges the Republican presidential nominee raped her when she was 13.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/12/donald-trump-jeffrey-epstein-alleged-rape-lawsuit?client=safari

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/12/donald-trump-jeffrey-epstein-alleged-rape-lawsuit?client=safari

Tell it to the federal judge who has made orders in the case. What exactly did I say was bull.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here but if classified emails are found in those emails, then surely, even if Clinton becomes president, she could be impeached as that would technically be treason, no?

There would have to be proof that Clinto knew that her aide was transmitting the e-mails over a unsecured system, in any event it would not be treason it would be serious but not treason.

A federal judge in New York has ordered counsel for Donald Trump and the disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein to appear in court along with the attorney for a woman referred to only as “Jane Doe” who alleges the Republican presidential nominee raped her when she was 13.

That federal judge should go to the FBI with his findings.

A Jane Doe "who alleges"

Sounds like a made up story by the media to not, mention any names incase of a law suit.

• Advertisement

That federal judge should go to the FBI with his findings.

A Jane Doe "who alleges"

Sounds like a made up story by the media too, not mention any names incase of a law suit.

You are incorrect the crime is statute barred for a criminal prosecution and Jan Doe or Roe (hence roe v wade) is often used in us cases to protect the identity of the person involved in matters involving sex rape abortion etc. Jane Doe is identified in court as she will have to give evidence but her identity can not be reported.

You accuse me of bull and you have no idea how the US system works.again I ask where did I write bull?

Trump has the presumption of innocence and he rightly should so too should Clinton.

If classified emails are on that laptop, unsecured - it was claimed that it is a Yahoo email account, Yahoo who were being hacked for two years before Yahoo told the public, then she and Abedin are in big trouble.
    It would also say Hillary was so reckless with classified information that people who had no clearance to access classified information had access to classified information.
    Hillary and Huma better hope there is no classified information on the laptop as others have gone to prison for a very long time for allowing classified US state secrets to be accessed by people who had no clearance to read such information.
    Chelsea Manning who allowed US secrets to be seen by people not cleared to see the classified US information was found to be guilty of treason.
    Impeachment would be the least of the problems, so yes technically she could be guilty of treason if that laptop has top classified secrets given Anthony Weiner had access to the emails.
    All depends on what is on that laptop.

If classified emails are on that laptop, unsecured - it was claimed that it is a Yahoo email account, Yahoo who were being hacked for two years before Yahoo told the public, then she and Abedin are in big trouble.
    It would also say Hillary was so reckless with classified information that people who had no clearance to access classified information had access to classified information.
    Hillary and Huma better hope there is no classified information on the laptop as others have gone to prison for a very long time for allowing classified US state secrets to be accessed by people who had no clearance to read such information.
    Chelsea Manning who allowed US secrets to be seen by people not cleared to see the classified US information was found to be guilty of treason.
    Impeachment would be the least of the problems, so yes technically she could be guilty of treason if that laptop has top classified secrets given Anthony Weiner had access to the emails.
    All depends on what is on that laptop.

Exactly it all depends on what's on the laptop. A laptop that has been in law enforcements hands for soon time the FBI had a belief that there may be Clinton emails on it weeks ago yet they tell congress they are investigating even before the sought a warrant!

You are incorrect the crime is statute barred for a criminal prosecution and Jan Doe or Roe (hence roe v wade) is often used in us cases to protect the identity of the person involved in matters involving sex rape abortion etc. Jane Doe is identified in court as she will have to give evidence but her identity can not be reported.

You accuse me of bull and you have no idea how the US system works.again I ask where did I write bull?

Trump has the presumption of innocence and he rightly should so too should Clinton.

No crime has been proven.

No crime has been proven.

I never said it had but the crime of having sex with a minor must in the USA be prosecuted within a certain number of years of taking place so the crime is statute bared.

Also no crime has been proven against Clinton she like Trump remains innocent and calls for either to be locked up before a jury decides on guilt is unfair on both.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement