Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

cnocbui wrote: »
    Comey's a brave one all right. On the one hand he advises the government not to name Russia as meddling with emails because it is too close to the election and then much, much closer to the election, he goes and makes innuendos about Clinton and emails.

Well my understanding from reading experts like Krebs and Schneier that such attacks (on US data assets) have been ongoing from various nation stater or actors. But because of the nature of how the these occur, it is very difficult to ascribe definite blame to a party. Schneier in Data and Goliath gives the classic case of Estonia's cyberattack. Hence given the Tallin doctrine, that in theory could demand a physical attack for a proven cyber attack - then Comey's relucance is understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sometimes the simplest explanation is the most valid explanation.

There is a reason to get a warrant to look at the emails, what would you have done, do a metadata search of the laptop, see their are state,gov and emails linked to the Clinton private server, see there are 650,000 emails, would you have done nothing? - given all emails and devices with emails were suppose to have been turned over under the penalty of perjury?

Are you saying you would have covered this up?

I am saying you don't have proof. Sure there might be something in there but there might be nothing. I see no proof she has done anything that wasn't the done thing for the sos.

All you have is a gut feeling that some wrong doing has occurred. That is generally not considered enough to take something as definitive evidence.
    Edit: this has been going on for months. All we see is cries that a wolf may or may not exist repeatedly. AT some point you should have something concrete if you want to crucify someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Manach wrote: »
    Well my understanding from reading experts like Krebs and Schneier that such attacks (on US data assets) have been ongoing from various nation stater or actors. But because of the nature of how the these occur, it is very difficult to ascribe definite blame to a party. Schneier in Data and Goliath gives the classic case of Estonia's cyberattack. Hence given the Tallin doctrine, that in theory could demand a physical attack for a proven cyber attack - then Comey's relucance is understandable.

From the link I posted:
    "The U.S. intelligence community is confident that the Russian Government directed the recent compromises of emails from U.S. persons and institutions, including from U.S. political organizations. ... These thefts and disclosures are intended to interfere with the U.S. election process."

According to the former official, Comey agreed with the conclusion the intelligence community came to: "A foreign power was trying to undermine the election. He believed it to be true, but was against putting it out before the election."

So Comey was doing the right thing while the rest of the US intelligence community were in the wrong?

I don't think his reluctance is understandable in the context you have put it, given what his actual views were.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From the link I posted:
    So Comey was doing the right thing while the rest of the US intelligence community were in the wrong?

I don't think his reluctance is understandable in the context you have put it, given what his actual views were.

But do you have any insight as to why this is so?
    On one hand there are InfoSec industry experts saying, in general, that it is nearly impossible to attribute blame against the US intelligence agencies that gave us Iraqi WMDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭nc6000

I saw this earlier on Twitter. The woman is clearly a monster and would obviously want to cover up emails like this. :p

CwHLajWWgAQy-XK.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nc6000 wrote: »
    I saw this earlier on Twitter. The woman is clearly a monster and would obviously want to cover up emails like this. :p

CwHLajWWgAQy-XK.jpg:large

:mad: She wants to bring in more refugees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

nc6000 wrote: »
    Maybe Clinton could help Yemenis by not selling any more weapons to the country that's bombing them? :p

Manach wrote: »
    But do you have any insight as to why this is so?
    On one hand there are InfoSec industry experts saying, in general, that it is nearly impossible to attribute blame against the US intelligence agencies that gave us Iraqi WMDs.

Yes, I could give insight into Comey's inconsistency, I alluded to it previously - he is engaging in politics and trying to unduly influence an election in contravention of the Hatch act.

As for the InfoSec reference - better skillz?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    :mad: She wants to bring in more refugees!

Donald, is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

From the link I posted:

He has a lot of questions to answer for if that's true.

There are reports that it took over a month for the FBI to act on this.

And then you've the whole 11 days from an election thing, which many on both sides will rightfully have concerns about.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Maybe Clinton could help Yemenis by not selling any more weapons to the country that's bombing them? :p

Well if you want less military and arms deals you are lucky Trump is running...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

K-9 wrote: »
    Well if you want less military and arms deals you are lucky Trump is running...

He is talking about reducing the US presence abroad.

Indeed, War on ISIS will somehow accomplish that how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Can you explain then why he wants to increase military spending which is the highest in the world and exceeds china and Russia combined by a factor of 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Ouch - Obamacare is set to go up by an average of 22% next year. In some States alone 100%.

A lot of people that voted for Obama, like teacher's and other unions are going to find a surprise too, as their plans fall under that Cadillac Tax.

In the States, employers will often pay for an employees' health care.

Teachers, cops, and firemen often have some of the best/most expensive plans, paid for by the public.

However, ... Those benefits will now be counted as income!!!:eek:

Y'ep!!!

What does this mean?

It means that the cost of your plan, maybe over 10K, that is now paid by your employer, will be counted as income!!!

So, about 30% of that will be taxes. Many people will find they owe another $3000 very soon.

Obama has kicked this can down the road numerous times and now, until he is out of office.

Let's not forget that 10,000 people retire every day in the States which is at least part of the reason why the unemployment numbers are far worse than they appear.

Imagine 10,000 people no longer putting money in to the system, but taking out.

https://www.reddit.com/comments/5afsu6

On the top of reddit right now.. Obama's brother did an AMA.

What a ridiculous election.

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed, War on ISIS will somehow accomplish that how?

He does change about a bit but on the other hand we can assume that the Clinton presidency will be a bloody mess.

He just change about a bit but on the other hand we can assume that the Clinton presidency will be a bloody mess.

And Trump will be peace on earth?

Can you explain then why he wants to increase military spending which is the highest in the world and exceeds china and Russia combined by a factor of 3.

As I said he chops and changes. In general I don't my see trump as pro imperial though. Clinton is full on war party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

And Trump will be peace on earth?

Far more peaceful than Clinton's desperation to make war with Russia.

If only her Syria 'plan' was given any scrutiny for the insane warmongering that it is.

Far more peaceful than Clinton's desperation to make war with Russia.

If only her Syria 'plan' was given any scrutiny for the insane warmongering that it is.

What evidence do you have that she wants to start a war with Russia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

She may not want to start a war with Russia but a no fly zone will ensure that some form of conflict starts, maybe not a physical conflict but it will strain Russian and American relations to Cold War levels.

What do you think 'syrian no fly zone' entails?

Just like the implementation of same in Iraq, Libya & Kosovo.... It didn't exactly involve a tickling contest.

What do you think 'syrian no fly zone' entails?

Just like the implementation of same in Iraq, Libya & Kosovo.... It didn't exactly involve a tickling contest.

As I recall the no fly zones in Iraq for instance ran for quite a long stretch of time without major incident. The only reason the situation changed was 9/11 and then we desired to go after "weapons of mass destruction"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

A fascinating panel discussion regarding the recent chain of events surrounding Hillary Clinton. I agree with both democrats on the panel about troubling questions that the American people need answered BEFORE the election. One question needs to be posed and answered by Obama before the election... If Hillary becomes the president elect would you pardon her for any reason? And the similar question needs to be posed and answered by Hillary before the election... I you becomes president would you pardon yourself for any reason?

The whole discussion is interesting, but you can skip to around the 7 minute mark to see what I'm referencing.

Since boards.ie seems to block the video, try clicking this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJGz27NlD6Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

As I recall the no fly zones in Iraq for instance ran for quite a long stretch of time without major incident. The only reason the situation changed was 9/11 and then we desired to go after "weapons of mass destruction"
    Was Russia a major player in Iraq though? They weren't, and so a no-fly zone was fine. Having a no-fly zone in Syria is a completely different matter all together.

As I recall the no fly zones in Iraq for instance ran for quite a long stretch of time without major incident.

Against an already shattered IqAF..... But still required quite a bit of death.

But both you & Hillary know that enforcing her "plan" on Syria is a completely different ball game.

To ensure that a no fly zone works , just like all the other cases, both the air-assets & air-defence assets of the country in question get destroyed.

This will be the obvious & inevitable death of hundreds of Russian servicemen.

No reader here is stupid enough to think that Moscow will find this 'tickety-boo'.

Hillary says she wants to ground Russia's jets.
    She will have to destroy a lot of Russian & Syrian men & materiél to make her deranged fantasy so.

Find any?

That was a different era. The Russians weren't defending Hussein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Anyone notice the "most talked about story in America, FBI investigation into Clinton's emails, isn't trending on Facebook. Not even on the Politics tab."

Add to the list of censors: Twitter, Buzzfeed, and Snapchat.

Left, right, or center, this kind of censorship should scare us all.

• Advertisement

FISMA. wrote: »
    Anyone notice the "most talked about story in America, FBI investigation into Clinton's emails, isn't trending on Facebook. Not even on the Politics tab."

Add to the list of censors: Twitter, Buzzfeed, and Snapchat.

Left, right, or center, this kind of censorship should scare us all.

Is it censorship or just literally people bored to tears of talking about her email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Is it censorship or just literally people bored to tears of talking about her email.

It is 100% censorship, google is also heavily involved
    "Why are Twitter users misspelling the hashtag #HillaryForPrison as #HillaryForPrision?
    Well, if you must know, Twitter has a track record of censoring political speech, namely from conservative users, and now they’re blocking the hashtag #HillaryForPrison from trending on their site.

Now, #HillaryForPrision is the second most tweeted hashtag today behind “Happy Halloween” to get around Twitter’s Leftist filter.
    And Twitter users have had enough with the whole charade:"

http://redalertpolitics.com/2016/10/31/twitter-blocks-hillaryforprison-trend-users-just-tricked-twitter-worked/#QR1RTj9o5ldR28Gz.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Iceboy wrote: »

No it's not.

You're wrong.

That's just a stupid conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

gosplan wrote: »
    No it's not.

You're wrong.

That's just a stupid conspiracy theory.

I can't tell if your joking or just lacking intelligence or common sense.

Everytime something comes into question and even with evidence to back it up you people shout tin foil hats, so narrow minded

I love how they think shaming people by using things like "conspiracy theory" "crazy" "delusional" will work anymore when there is SOLID PROOF of this. Oh and the whole "Islamophobia" "bigot" "racist" no longer works as well. Gonna have to try something new, like the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

They selectively picked search terms that backed up their point and ignored all others.

Simple enough technique to create a conspiracy theory involving Google. Stick in enough terms till you find a few that suit your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Trump is gonna trounce Hilary. Too much scandal, too much cover up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Back on topic.

I think the new email investigation will only have consequences for Clinton if any of those 30k emails that she deleted are found to have contained classified information

All the FBI need to find, is one email that was deleted by Clinton that constitutes the destruction of evidence and she'll be in huge trouble.

I don't think that there's enough time before the election, but it's likely that the two months before her inauguration will be pretty stressful for her. Lying under oath and or destruction of evidence is a serious crime and if anything is discovered, she will be facing day 1 impeachment from the republican party.

Hillary Clinton, 2nd worst presidential candidate ever, 2nd only to Donald Trump

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

m1ck007 wrote: »

Too much scandal for Hillary eh? Or could it be you're just more aware of Hillary's scandals because of selection bias?

https://youtu.be/h1Lfd1aB9YI

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

And why doesn't he release his tax returns?

There's always a trump Russia scare whenever Clinton does something untoward.

Reds under the beds. Modern version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

The Trumpists around these parts seem quite rejuvenated by the email non-story. We're not hearing so much about the election being rigged anymore!

There's always a trump Russia scare whenever Clinton does something untoward.

Reds under the beds. Modern version.

When Trump is on record as supporting Russia then his secret communications with a Russian bank is News.

https://www.whois.com/whois/trump-email.com

It's owned by Cendyn, some hospitality software something that does ads and stuff that is used in Trump hotels.

That slate article has already been debunked. Hillary pushing that story is pure desperation.

https://www.whois.com/whois/trump-email.com

It's owned by Cendyn, some hospitality software something that does ads and stuff that is used in Trump hotels.

That slate article has already been debunked. Hillary pushing that story is pure desperation.

Link to the debunking then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

This election process, as it's being used now, seems to show that American-dream troubles hidden from view are now on live TV. It looks like joe public has been messed about with generally tax, services and job-wise by national and local Govt for too long and disorder is being expressed via the chosen big-two party candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Akrasia wrote: »
    Hillary Clinton, 2nd worst presidential candidate ever, 2nd only to Donald Trump

But no-one is asked to rate Hillary next to Bill Clinton, Dubya, Reagan or the other horndogs, doofusses or Alzheimers patients who have held the office.

Which is better, Hillary or Trump? Obviously the answer is Hillary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/veteran-spy-gave-fbi-info-alleging-russian-operation-cultivate-donald-trump
    In June, the former Western intelligence officer—who spent almost two decades on Russian intelligence matters and who now works with a US firm that gathers information on Russia for corporate clients—was assigned the task of researching Trump's dealings in Russia and elsewhere, according to the former spy and his associates in this American firm. This was for an opposition research project originally financed by a Republican client critical of the celebrity mogul. (Before the former spy was retained, the project's financing switched to a client allied with Democrats.) "It started off as a fairly general inquiry," says the former spook, who asks not to be identified. But when he dug into Trump, he notes, he came across troubling information indicating connections between Trump and the Russian government. According to his sources, he says, "there was an established exchange of information between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin of mutual benefit."

This was, the former spy remarks, "an extraordinary situation." He regularly consults with US government agencies on Russian matters, and near the start of July on his own initiative—without the permission of the US company that hired him—he sent a report he had written for that firm to a contact at the FBI, according to the former intelligence officer and his American associates, who asked not to be identified. (He declines to identify the FBI contact.) The former spy says he concluded that the information he had collected on Trump was "sufficiently serious" to share with the FBI.

Mother Jones has reviewed that report and other memos this former spy wrote. The first memo, based on the former intelligence officer's conversations with Russian sources, noted, "Russian regime has been cultivating, supporting and assisting TRUMP for at least 5 years. Aim, endorsed by PUTIN, has been to encourage splits and divisions in western alliance." It maintained that Trump "and his inner circle have accepted a regular flow of intelligence from the Kremlin, including on his Democratic and other political rivals." It claimed that Russian intelligence had "compromised" Trump during his visits to Moscow and could "blackmail him." It also reported that Russian intelligence had compiled a dossier on Hillary Clinton based on "bugged conversations she had on various visits to Russia and intercepted phone calls."

The former intelligence officer says the response from the FBI was "shock and horror." The FBI, after receiving the first memo, did not immediately request additional material, according to the former intelligence officer and his American associates. Yet in August, they say, the FBI asked him for all information in his possession and for him to explain how the material had been gathered and to identify his sources. The former spy forwarded to the bureau several memos—some of which referred to members of Trump's inner circle. After that point, he continued to share information with the FBI. "It's quite clear there was or is a pretty substantial inquiry going on," he says.

"This is something of huge significance, way above party politics," the former intelligence officer comments. "I think [Trump's] own party should be aware of this stuff as well."

So Trump is apparently tied up tight to the Russian government and the FBI is/was sitting on this information for some reason, but Comey thought it was totally ok to throw out an ambiguous, detail-light letter about something to do with Clinton emails?

HMMMMM.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

m1ck007 wrote: »

Trump university has a fraud class action against it on November 28th and trump himself has a civil court case over alleged 1994 rape due on December 16th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I can't tell if your joking or just lacking intelligence or common sense.

Everytime something comes into question and even with evidence to back it up you people shout tin foil hats, so narrow minded

I love how they think shaming people by using things like "conspiracy theory" "crazy" "delusional" will work anymore when there is SOLID PROOF of this. Oh and the whole "Islamophobia" "bigot" "racist" no longer works as well. Gonna have to try something new, like the truth.

Grand.

However you're still wrong and it's still just a stupid conspiracy theory.

Google it or use bing if you don't trust google.

A circumstantial quirk doesn't equate to proof, regardless of whether you use caps or not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement