Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

but unfortunately these tactics work on people of a certain intelligence level. :(

F*cking plebs eh!
    They should listen to what their betters tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Even if that was all true she's still a better pick than Trump.

Trump has his faults but is way a better option. He wants to protect the falling living standards of the middle class, work with Russia to fight ISIS instead of starting a war against them and China, stop the flow of illegal immigrants, fight the flow of illegal drugs into the country, eliminate lobbying by special interests in Washington and get America off the life support of massive debt creation. At this stage he offers the better solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

She would have been trounced had the other option not been Trump.

I seriously wonder about people that have turned a blind eye to Clintons evils that have left countries in ruin. cost hundreds of thousands of lives in exchange for corporate dollars . lybia?? Haiti?. If thats an example of her leadership skills. The writings on the wall. Lives for $$$.

Yet the same people chanting Clinton with the blinkers on. condemn Trump for his buffoon remarks.

Guess talking nonsense hurting people's feelings matters more than actually taking peoples lives.

Trump has his faults but is way a better option. He wants to protect the falling living standards of the middle class, work with Russia to fight ISIS instead of starting a war against them and China, stop the flow of illegal immigrants, fight the flow of illegal drugs into the country, eliminate lobbying by special interests in Washington and get America off the life support of massive debt creation. At this stage he offers the better solution.

No no no..... The world needs Hillary and her war with Russia.

Trump opposing that & preferring to work with Russia is only for the cretins remember?
    these tactics work on people of a certain intelligence level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

@Hank

That's fine. You claimed there was an assassination attempt. Your imagination got the better of you. You claimed that all 100k people watching made the same mistake. Again, an over active imagination. No problem. Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

Typical Trumpish diversion tactics TBH.
    Flood social medial with all manner of half-truths & outlandish claims, then "Yeah, I know he's no angel, but she's the devil, etc, etc..."
    Pathetic & amateurish, but unfortunately these tactics work on people of a certain intelligence level. :(

I challenge you to fact check everything I said.
    Abbedin is imbedded with the Muslim Brotherhood.
    Why was Clinton on Epstein's rape plane and rape island?
    Why is Podesta mixed up with the Serbian witch?
    Why is Hillary associating with these freaks?
    Why is she talking money while Secretary of State from rich Arabs and at the same time jihadists - trained in Jordan by US special forces or released from Gitmo - are running amok?

Work it out genius

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

F*cking plebs eh!
    Well if the Brexit campaign and the "We need no experts telling us things" is anything to go by; yes very much so seeing how many lies were believed...

Nody wrote: »
    Well if the Brexit campaign and the "We need no experts telling us things" is anything to go by; yes very much so seeing how many lies were believed...

How would you lads ensure that only people deemed by you intelligent enough to vote get to do so?

We can't have those "of a certain intelligence level" (as said above) spoiling what needs to happen do we!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

but unfortunately these tactics work on people of a certain intelligence level. :(

I had no real interest in Politics until this election with no affiliation to either side and these type of insults seem to come up a lot from extreme Clinton supporters whenever her integrity is questioned ( which it should be, she's under multiple criminal investigations ).

Middle class America are now of low iq and have been fooled by the Donald is that what you're implying? Half of America is dumb for supporting Trump? Hillary and her team target minorities by brian-washing them with her control of the media and portray Trump as the second coming of Hitler, imo she does worse things for race relations than anybody else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

How would you lads ensure that only people deemed by you intelligent enough to vote get to do so?

We can't have those "of a certain intelligence level" (as said above) spoiling what needs to happen do we!?
    That one is easy enough; people who are stupid enough to vote in the likes of Trump or hard Brexit will be the once who suffer the most from it due to the lack of mobility and marketable skills. As the healthcare is cut, social service payments are reduced etc. that tend to sort things out naturally one way or the other (the ideals of the American dream is dead of working hard and becoming rich; the sooner that's accepted by the low to middle class and starts to deal with their actual reality of low tax for high income takers and no trickle down economics the better; now that will come one way or the other be it from revolution, disgust or simply starting to think on their own rather than watch another MTV See my Crib show and dream that it will be them one day).
    I had no real interest in Politics until this election with no affiliation to either side and these type of insults seem to come up a lot from extreme Clinton supporters whenever her integrity is questioned ( which it should be, she's under multiple criminal investigations ).
    As is Trump with the difference there's a clear record of him using illegal ways to pay his way out of them from his "charity" fund and the fact he's actually sued to court over multiple cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Typical Trumpish diversion tactics TBH.
    Flood social medial with all manner of half-truths & outlandish claims, then "Yeah, I know he's no angel, but she's the devil, etc, etc..."
    Pathetic & amateurish, but unfortunately these tactics work on people of a certain intelligence level. :(

Even regardless of the rape jet collusion with unsavory characters.

You would need to do some serious mental gymnastics to ignore her tenure as Secretary of state.

Like a person who could pretend like that was all just in some Trumpish imagination would have to be bordering on a Clinton Zealot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

F*cking plebs eh!
    That's not what I said or implied at all.

Claiming that Trump supporters are dumb = Insulting.
    Claiming that Clinton supporters are brain washed = OK.

:confused:

That's not what I said

Something wrong with the quote function then.... you should look into that.

Nody wrote: »
    That one is easy enough; people who are stupid enough to vote in the likes of Trump or hard Brexit will be the once who suffer the most from it due to the lack of mobility and marketable skills. As the healthcare is cut, social service payments are reduced etc. that tend to sort things out naturally one way or the other.

That's retrospective though.
    Sure, it may purge your hated dumb-dumbs.... thin out their herd (as you allude).

You don't fix your problem of having the folks you deem too simple voting in the first place.
    Retrospective punishment doesn't stop the damage done by those you deem simpletons not voting the way you want...

So, how you stop the ones you deem not smart enough to vote correctly from doing so in the first place?

You know... prevention is better than cure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

Trump is a psycho that cannot believe he has got this far.

Trump doesn't give a **** about the middle class. He is a liar and a cheat that boasts about sexually assaulting women and has issues with free speech. Anyone thinking he is good for America or anywhere needs their head examined.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Claiming that Trump supporters are dumb = Insulting.
    Claiming that Clinton supporters are brain washed = OK.

:confused:

Targeted may have been a better choice of word but it's just politically correct poo poo.

No worries.. I don't feel too bad, the MSM made the same mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Look who she associates with:

- Anthony Weiner who sends dick pics to underage girls

- Huma Abbedin the wife of Weiner and Clinton's reputed lesbian lover her "body woman" whose parents are high ranking Muslim Brotherhood members associated with Saudi Wahhabists and the global jihadist network.

- John Podesta who attends "spirit cooking" black magick style parties hosted by Serbian witch Marina Abramovic where blood and semen are eaten and has been caught red handed arranging to attend pedophile pool parties.

- Her husband Bill Clinton a serial rapist who flew on billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein's Lolita Express private plane to his private Caribbean island where under age girls recruited by Robert Maxwell's daughter and other socialites were forced to have sex with powerful figures such as Prince Andrew and Alan Dershowitz among others. Dershowitz infamously defended both Von Below and Simpson and gave legal council to the Bush administration.

Hillary Clinton's Clinton Foundation is massively funded by corporations and Arab Muslim governments to the tune of millions of dollars.
    This money was given to her while she was Secretary of State and supposedly fighting the war on terror. Strangely jihadists have taken control in Libya Syria and Iraq on her watch.

Hillary is clearly a monster - she accompanied her husband to Epstein's rape island on his rape jet - she associates with perverts and she is guilty of massive corruption and war crimes.

Would you really vote for this evil psychopathic witch?

I like these posts (and those who like them) because it's a handy guide as to the who's who of their odd little reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Goddammit, you folk are right & I apologise. As you rightly say, Trump supporters come with a background of all levels of education & I unequivocally accept that they are not dumb or necessarily of low intelligence.

'Gullible' would be a better description.

Sure, it may purge your hated dumb-dumbs.... thin out their herd (as you allude).
    You should read the updated version; I realized it could be read from a evolution perspective which not only is not how the theory of evolution works nor is the time scale doable but rather about self education and goals so I added clarification.
    You don't fix your problem of having the folks you deem too simple voting in the first place.
    Retrospective punishment doesn't stop the damage done by those you deem simpletons not voting the way you want...
    Well that's democracy for you; you get the government you deserve or simply put democracy is the worst way of govern except all other forms are worse. There is no magical bullet nor a way to mass change the way people think; such revolutions have to come from inside and the only way that happens if things get so damn bad that you're forced to reevalute things.

seeing as trump wont win, and is somewhat clearly the worst candidate in generations, seeing as most of the attacks on clinton itt are conspiracy fetishist nonsense, seeing as shes one of the most qualified and experienced ppl that may ever have run for the role and seeing her dignity in her determined but restrained campaign against a genuine moron and his genuine moron supporters, i find myself unconvinved by this thread

seeing that this is ireland i dont care much either

Goddammit, you folk are right & I apologise. As you rightly say, Trump supporters come with a background of all levels of education & I unequivocally accept that they are not dumb or necessarily of low intelligence.

'Gullible' would be a better description.

I was going to thank your post until I read the bolded part.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

[BMod note:[/b]

Thread closed. This is not really a discrete issue and there are already several more suitable threads for this stuff, not least the main election thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No worries.. I don't feel too bad, the MSM made the same mistake.
    Got many links to that? I can't find much on them reporting an assassin attempt on him on Google?

But what I did find was this https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/05/donald-trump-jr-and-top-aide-retweet-baseless-allegation-of-assassination-attempt/

What is your opinion on the trump campaign lying through their teeth calling it an assassination attempt when they would have known before going back on stage that it was nothing of the sort?

• Advertisement

I said I'm done debating reacting to an incident I believed was an attempt on Trumps life, it's a meaningless discussion.

If you want to discuss something worthwhile like the Podesta video I linked above I'd be happy to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Please summarize the salient points of that video, if necessary please include the offsets that back up your points. Pro-putin sites like RT where this Abby whatever comes from, are just cesspools of anti-Western propaganda and really should be avoided. I personally won't just sit through yet another diatribe from Putin about the US election and I expect clicking on those links somehow benefits either you the poster, or RT.

If you have a better source for your points regarding a Campaign manager, fine. Feel free to expect responses that include behaviors of Trump's set of campaign managers like Manafort, Bannon and Lewandowski, with Carter Page his mysterious consultant brought into the discussion. I'd initially bring up the excellent Newsweek piece on Manafort and his relationships with the Putin kleptohierarchy including Poroshenko.

Thanks.

How is this not more widely known?

It's been debunked so many times that there's no point even bothering any more, and is extremely difficult to believe that anyone making that claim is doing so with an honest, straight face.

Clinton: Of course he claimed he didn’t. All this stuff. He took a lie detector test. I had him take a polygraph, which he passed, which forever destroyed my faith in polygraphs. [laughs]

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/06/clintons-1975-rape-case/

- Her husband Bill Clinton a serial rapist

I take it you have reputable sources to show this as fact, and that you are not trying to spread misinformation and be deliberately misleading in your posts, or trying to pass your own opinion as fact?

I said I'm done debating reacting to an incident I believed was an attempt on Trumps life, it's a meaningless discussion.

If you want to discuss something worthwhile like the Podesta video I linked above I'd be happy to.
    Not sure if that was a response to my post or not, but if it was I never asked about why you thought it was an assassination attempt - the rush to get him off stage would be fairly reasonable at the time to believe it was something along those lines for a few minutes, for those who were watching the live stream.

I was asking you to back up your comment that the 'MSM' were fooled into it too, and to ask your opinion on why the Trump campaign openly lied about when they knew there was no assassination attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

It is a fact that there was no attempt on Donald Trump's life. However a protester was assaulted by Trump supporters so it's more a standard Trump event behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The 5th of November has been and gone, no sign of this shocking exposé from Assange & Anonymous of Bill Clinton as a member of a paedo ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭briany

The 5th of November has been and gone, no sign of this shocking exposé from Assange & Anonymous of Bill Clinton as a member of a paedo ring.

Somebody pompously announced they were going to do something and then did not do it, in a move shocking absolutely no-one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

And now for the Trump gang to quickly ignore nothing was released and to move onto the next scheduled "bombshell" ( which will also contain nothing or not be released).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Trump's lawsuit on similar issues seems not to be going ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I challenge you to fact check everything I said.
    Abbedin is imbedded with the Muslim Brotherhood.
    Why was Clinton on Epstein's rape plane and rape island?
    Why is Podesta mixed up with the Serbian witch?
    Why is Hillary associating with these freaks?
    Why is she talking money while Secretary of State from rich Arabs and at the same time jihadists - trained in Jordan by US special forces or released from Gitmo - are running amok?

Work it out genius

People should read this post.

Rape plane, rape island, Muslim brotherhood, Serbian witch.

Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Job done though. The tinfoil hat brigade (if they even believe these things themselves) have had a couple of days to repeat these things as facts instead of paranoid fantasies so they can muddy the waters further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This is an election largely driven by lies. They are an incredibly effective tool as the effort to tell a lie versus that required to expose it is probably greater than 1:500.

Tell a lie and 100% of the audience receive it, but given the pace of online discussion and people's attention spans, by the time someone has researched and formulated a proof of dishonesty, the discussion is somewhere completely different, the topics changed and probably only 15% or less of the original audience for the lie will get to see it disproved.

For instance, on a US news media discussion site, someone throws out: "4 FBI field offices are investigating the fraudulent Clinton Foundation"

Boom - damage done by innuendo. By the time someone responds to that and points out the investigation issued a report in February stating no evidence of wrongdoing, the reply is pages of comments away with a new batch of lies are being stated.

Trump produces lies like a popcorn machine pops. One journalist has recorded and tallied them all saying Trump had reached 253 by just mid-october. On his best day he only lied 4 times. In the first two debates, his falsehoods numbered 34 and 33 respectively. I doubt more than a small fraction of the original audience are aware of that.

It's rather depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

aphex™ wrote: »
    Trump's lawsuit on similar issues seems not to be going ahead

The rape allegations tend to get withdrawn when enough hush money is offered, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭badabing106

The Clintons connected to a massive child trafficking and pedophile sex ring operating within Washington, D.C ?

http://pastebin.com/36Q0yKSM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,679 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The Clintons are now connected to a massive child trafficking and pedophile sex ring operating within Washington, D.C

Very professional looking site, No credibility issues there at all at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Not sure if this thread is closed or not. It's on facebook that a district court judge issued a restraining order against the Trump campaign to block voter intimidation by it.

U.S. District Judge James Gwin, in Cleveland Ohio, has issued the order against the Trump campaign to prevent anyone working on the campaign from harassing and intimidating voters at the polls on Tuesday after a 2 hour hearing in which the judge pressed Trump's lawyer to justify the candidate's inflammatory rhetoric about voter fraud . It also applies to close Trump adviser Roger Stone, who has organized poll-watching activities, and the "officers, agents, servants, and employees" of Trump and Stone.

The restraining order is the result of a lawsuit filed by the Ohio Democratic Party against Trump, Stone, and the Ohio Republican Party. The suit asked the court to declare it illegal to intimidate voters at the polls. Similar suits have been filed in Arizona, Nevada, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Michigan.

The story is being run by the LA Times, CNN and Mother Jones.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjdlY7Ho5TQAhVKGsAKHYduB_AQqUMIKzAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Fnation%2Fpolitics%2Ftrailguide%2Fla-na-trailguide-updates-judge-to-trump-campaign-no-you-can-t-1478284503-htmlstory.html&usg=AFQjCNEUVYMHoCdwqFbdUDg15G0e3uulRA&bvm=bv.137904068,d.ZGg

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjdlY7Ho5TQAhVKGsAKHYduB_AQqUMIIzAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2016%2F11%2F04%2Fpolitics%2Ftrump-clinton-voter-intimidation%2Findex.html&usg=AFQjCNFLNObj04v14nDuvXmO36uAM-mnlA&bvm=bv.137904068,d.ZGg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

The Clintons connected to a massive child trafficking and pedophile sex ring operating within Washington, D.C ?

I think the name of the site says it all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

cnocbui wrote: »
    This is an election largely driven by lies. They are an incredibly effective tool as the effort to tell a lie versus that required to expose it is probably greater than 1:500.

Tell a lie and 100% of the audience receive it, but given the pace of online discussion and people's attention spans, by the time someone has researched and formulated a proof of dishonesty, the discussion is somewhere completely different, the topics changed and probably only 15% or less of the original audience for the lie will get to see it disproved.

For instance, on a US news media discussion site, someone throws out: "4 FBI field offices are investigating the fraudulent Clinton Foundation"

Boom - damage done by innuendo. By the time someone responds to that and points out the investigation issued a report in February stating no evidence of wrongdoing, the reply is pages of comments away with a new batch of lies are being stated.

Trump produces lies like a popcorn machine pops. One journalist has recorded and tallied them all saying Trump had reached 253 by just mid-october. On his best day he only lied 4 times. In the first two debates, his falsehoods numbered 34 and 33 respectively. I doubt more than a small fraction of the original audience are aware of that.

It's rather depressing.

Sound's like the quote used in the 1930's and 40's when it came to Herr Hitler.... tell a lie often enough and people will believe it.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Not sure if this thread is closed or not.
    I think it was a different thread that got closed/merged into this one, re the mod note post. Not definite but that's what I seemed to gather from it, I think a bunch of posts appeared that were not here before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So, how you stop the ones you deem not smart enough to vote correctly from doing so in the first place?

You know... prevention is better than cure.

You know how you fix the problem of low information voters voting for a demagogue like Trump? You educate them. Make third level education accessible and affordable to all, which will nicely improve social mobility.

The GOP know this, which is why they object to reform of student loans.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You know how you fix the problem of low information voters voting for a demagogue like Trump? You educate them. Make third level education accessible and affordable to all, which will nicely improve social mobility.

The GOP know this, which is why they object to reform of student loans.

Agree with your point re third level funding, but I fear it's a bit more than that - no offense intended to our American cousins, but there seems to be a dearth of critical thinking in their country that is compounded by simplistic, almost childish, media reporting on politics.
    How often have you seen or read detailed policy discussions?
    How often have you seen or read reportage that could be objectively regarded as non-partisan?
    Does nuance even exist anymore in political discourse, or is everything boiled down into simplistic soundbites or twitter friendly emotive outbursts?
    The road from where they are to a functioning democracy is long and improbable...

From your own link:
    So, how was Hillary Clinton part of this, and where’s the child sex trafficking?
    Mostly in the fevered imaginations of the excitable internet detectives of r/The_Donald, who decided that since Clinton discussed the case in emails with Huma Abedin and other aides, she was going out of her way to help the child abductors escape justice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

looking like ILLarys lost michigan.

• Advertisement

looking like ILLarys lost michigan.

How so? Last two polls I've seen have her increasing her margin from 2 - 5%....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement