Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJASTexUOxU&feature=youtu.be&t=3682

This is a vid from earlier where he renewed his claim about the system being rigged against him. He went on to make some coherent points about the impact of NAFTA and China entering the WTO and then, as usual, pivoted to talk about himself. He's just as bad as his many attacks on Obama and his teleprompter - when he sticks to reading what's been written for him, he sounds coherent, but as soon as he goes off it, he's back to self-aggrandising word salads....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This could make people who believe Hillary is guilty more determined.
    The emails scandal did raise the issues about missing emails, smashed up devices, missing devices and what other other devices might have information on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

"Lock her up. Lock her up."

How in the name of Jaysus has using an email server become a reason to put someone in jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sky news are reporting that FBI director James comey has said that an examination of Hilary clintons emails has found "no evidence of criminal wrongdoing."

Trump is going to lose it. He went hard and heavy on the email story since they got the new emails.

Giuliani will be spitting blood! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

There's still some shining lights like Trey Gowdy in public office so don't give up yet.

The double standards are sickening to say the least.

Navy Sailor takes some photos on a submarine and is sent to prison.

Someone taking pictures of classified things in order to show others vs private server for own use.

They need to be the same for it to be a double standard.

There is also the other 2 people who took photos and weren't charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

TheOven wrote: »
    Someone taking pictures of classified things in order to show others vs private server for own use.

They need to be the same for it to be a double standard.
    I agree with that. Destroying evidence on the other hand? How is she getting away with a clear obstruction of justice and not following the orders of a subpoena?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Comey is so fired when HC gets in office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

bajer101 wrote: »

How in the name of Jaysus has using an email server become a reason to put someone in jail?

The content of the mails. There are other cases where people have been locked up for the same. During the case she gave the mails to her attorneys, who also lacked the clearance to handle the documents.

Very poor handling, depending on the content she could have or possibly has endangered people's lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,344 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bajer101 wrote: »

Well she is very likely going to be the next president and appoint new justices and people are worried the bench will somehow end the 2nd amendment and make abortions available at every corner drugstore and gays will take over our communities. So of course she has to be locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nabber wrote: »
    The content of the mails. There are other cases where people have been locked up for the same. During the case she gave the mails to her attorneys, who also lacked the clearance to handle the documents.

Very poor handling, depending on the content she could have or possibly has endangered people's lives.

Did you know that there is a separate secure system for handling sensitive and classified material?

Are you aware that the FBI didn't find that sort of material in her emails or on her server so in all likelihood she must have used the appropriate channels for that sort of material?

So no one was handling stuff they shouldn't have and no lives were put in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

You've gotta love Fox News. They've a reporter waiting for Don's arrival at his latest rally, report-quote" he's late, he never arrives late, there's thousands here and THERE'S A GRASSY KNOLL BEHIND"........ Maybe he had some sort of history flashback to 1963 and it slipped in amongst his script.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Tribute videos tend to look positive for the subject.

For me this email story is black and white.
    There is an espionage statute and what Hillary did broke laws. She received a subpoena and then went psycho on her devices with a hammer plus she deleted 33000 emails. She then went on to lie to FBI over and over. This was all proved. She also hid this latest device that contained 650000 emails.
    I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone . People who argue with facts are difficult to argue with.
    Just say yes I agree with you and she's going to get away with it, as I can then agree with you on that point.

People aren't arguing with "facts". None of the above is actually a fact.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There's still some shining lights like Trey Gowdy in public office so don't give up yet.

The double standards are sickening to say the least.

Navy Sailor takes some photos on a submarine and is sent to prison.

Sorry Hank. That serving member of the US Navy took photos of area/s designated classified aboard a US Navy warship contrary to ships, and his, standing orders, and faced a military courts-martial on charges relative to the offences laid against him under UCMJ, got a fair trial and sentence.

That case has absolutely nothing to do with the allegations laid against Hillary by her opponents which the FBI believes couldn't be proven as criminal in court using the email material found.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Sorry Hank. That serving member of the US Navy took photos of area/s designated classified aboard a US Navy warship contrary to his standing orders, and faced a military courts-martial on charges relative to the offences laid against him under UCMJ, got a fair trial and sentence.

That case has absolutely nothing to do with the allegations laid against Hillary by her opponents which the FBI believes couldn't be proven as criminal in court using the email material found.

For the record if Hillary did have the things she did as active duty military of course she would have been court martialed. But she's not military and we aren't talking military codes of conduct/laws.

“In the last two days, they had so little confidence in his self control, they said: ‘We’re just going to take away your Twitter,'” Obama said to a laughing crowd. “If someone tweets at 2 a.m. because Saturday Night Live made fun of you, you cannot handle the nuclear codes.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/obama-mocks-trump-for-reportedly-allowing-aides-to-confiscate-his-twitter-account/

Overheal wrote: »
    For the record if Hillary did have the things she did as active duty military of course she would have been court martialed. But she's not military and we aren't talking military codes of conduct/laws

Not wanting to butt heads with you but it was Hank who introduced the comparison between the sailors conviction and how he felt Hillary was not getting equal treatment in law. There is a complete difference between his acts and the acts Hillary is accused of by her political opponent. Ditto for the laws.....

EDIT, just seen the tick below my post above, I think i took up your reply wrongly. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

cnocbui wrote: »
    Did you know that there is a separate secure system for handling sensitive and classified material?

Are you aware that the FBI didn't find that sort of material in her emails or on her server so in all likelihood she must have used the appropriate channels for that sort of material?

So no one was handling stuff they shouldn't have and no lives were put in danger.

One of us is confused here. Neither of us will admit it I'm sure.

The question is no longer "was there classified information" that has been established by the FBI. The question is now intent. Did she deliberately circumvent the secure systems? FBI currently say she hasn't. But the case remains open to new evidence. Which we have seen.

She handed her mails to her attorneys, who say they only searched through headers and not content. Again she thought there was no classified information and again no intent.

I'm not sure what we are arguing anymore. But the FBI were clear. Yes she was wrong, but not intentionally. In my opinion it opens a bad precedent

FBI:
    “Although we did not find clear evidence that Secretary Clinton or her colleagues intended to violate laws governing the handling of classified information, there is evidence that they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. For example, seven email chains were classified at the ‘Top Secret Special Access Program’ at the time they were sent and received...There is evidence to support the conclusion that any reasonable person in Secretary Clinton’s position, or in the positions of those with whom she was corresponding about those matters, should have known an unclassified system was no place for that conversation.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm not sure what we are arguing anymore. But the FBI were clear. Yes she was wrong, but not intentionally. In my opinion it opens a bad precedent
    A precedent assumes this was the first time it happened; the Bush administration used private servers for multiple people inc. the president, vice president and "lost" 22 million e-mails inc. having intentional black outs around the time before, during and the month after the second war in Iraq.

If you want to talk precedent it was set by the Republicans:
    Clinton’s email habits look positively transparent when compared with the subpoena-dodging, email-hiding, private-server-using George W. Bush administration. Between 2003 and 2009, the Bush White House “lost” 22 million emails. This correspondence included millions of emails written during the darkest period in America’s recent history, when the Bush administration was ginning up support for what turned out to be a disastrous war in Iraq with false claims that the country possessed weapons of mass destruction (WMD), and, later, when it was firing U.S. attorneys for political reasons.

Like Clinton, the Bush White House used a private email server—its was owned by the Republican National Committee. And the Bush administration failed to store its emails, as required by law, and then refused to comply with a congressional subpoena seeking some of those emails. “It’s about as amazing a double standard as you can get,” says Eric Boehlert, who works with the pro-Clinton group Media Matters. “If you look at the Bush emails, he was a sitting president, and 95 percent of his chief advisers’ emails were on a private email system set up by the RNC. Imagine if for the last year and a half we had been talking about Hillary Clinton’s emails set up on a private DNC server?”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Honestly on Sunday morning, I was predicting a Trump would win. The Comey letter was so damaging to Clinton.

But now that Comey has cleared Clinton "Again". I believe she will win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

FWIW, they're 'calling' Nevada for Clinton based on early voting. I particularly like the tweet from a Hispanic activist embedded in this article:
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/election-2016-nevada-harry-reid-clinton-trump-early-vote-latinos-214426

And the tweet: "Looks like Trump got his wall after all. A wall of beautiful voters.”

1950's over. Trumplodytes should get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Igotadose wrote: »
    FWIW, they're 'calling' Nevada for Clinton based on early voting. I particularly like the tweet from a Hispanic activist embedded in this article:
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/election-2016-nevada-harry-reid-clinton-trump-early-vote-latinos-214426

And the tweet: "Looks like Trump got his wall after all. A wall of beautiful voters.”

1950's over. Trumplodytes should get that.
    Calling anywhere without knowing the percentage, actual lead or demographics of the voters is like saying you are going to live forever. Impossible. If you want, read Nate's analysis of it on 538, he says Nevada looks decent for Clinton but it is far, far too early to call it either way, still close.

That tweet is great though.

Excellent piece (watch the video) of, imho, the only commentator worth watching on CNN, Fareed Zakaria:
    http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/11/06/cnn-s-fareed-zakaria-highlights-trump-s-racism-and-misogyny-part-core-views-donald-trump/214339

He carefully explains why he's not voting for Trump. Trump is what he says he is. When someone tells you the truth about themselves, believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Anybody know the times results will come in tomorrow night? Or more pertinently, should I stay up late or get up early?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Less of the "jokes" please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,967 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anybody know the times results will come in tomorrow night? Or more pertinently, should I stay up late or get up early?!

Up early I'd say, lots of ****e talk during the night

• Advertisement

So, finally, just one more day of this car crash election campaign, one more day of BS claim and counter claim, recycling rumours from the weirdest corners of the net, turning fact into opinion and opinions into fact and lots of meaningful and nuanced policy discussions.

Well, maybe not that last bit, but at least it will be over soon, we can grab the popcorn, get ready to stay up tomorrow night with genuine anticipation and then wake up on Wednesday with four years of partisan warfare to look forward to, where impeachment processes will probably begin before the winner even places their hand on the bible in front of the Capitol and the news media can carry on sensationalising and dumbing down what ever happens.

Anyway, lets enjoy the fun today while it lasts....

One of us is confused here. Neither of us will admit it I'm sure.

The question is no longer "was there classified information" that has been established by the FBI. The question is now intent. Did she deliberately circumvent the secure systems? FBI currently say she hasn't. But the case remains open to new evidence. Which we have seen.

She handed her mails to her attorneys, who say they only searched through headers and not content. Again she thought there was no classified information and again no intent.

FBI:
    “Although we did not find clear evidence that Secretary Clinton or her colleagues intended to violate laws governing the handling of classified information, there is evidence that they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. For example, seven email chains were classified at the ‘Top Secret Special Access Program’ at the time they were sent and received...There is evidence to support the conclusion that any reasonable person in Secretary Clinton’s position, or in the positions of those with whom she was corresponding about those matters, should have known an unclassified system was no place for that conversation.”

So you are admitting there was no classified information on her server so when you said she was possibly putting lives at risk you were in fact telling deliberate porkies.

I'm certainly not confused about the 'email scandal'. It is a trite and minor issue of little consequence that should never have been inflated to the proportions it has been. It has only been exaggerated because the media desperately need and want something negative to talk about in each candidate to create a dynamic. They have treated the election like reality TV. With Trump, they don't have to invent anything negative just take your pick of every morsel on the plate.

The Republican party were incredibly desperate for 'anything' to use against Clinton and this trite little slip was all they could find, before they realised they had endangered the countries future and then backed Clinton as the only sane option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    So, finally, just one more day of this car crash election campaign, one more day of BS claim and counter claim, recycling rumours from the weirdest corners of the net, turning fact into opinion and opinions into fact and lots of meaningful and nuanced policy discussions.

Well, maybe not that last bit, but at least it will be over soon, we can grab the popcorn, get ready to stay up tomorrow night with genuine anticipation and then wake up on Wednesday with four years of partisan warfare to look forward to, where impeachment processes will probably begin before the winner even places their hand on the bible in front of the Capitol and the news media can carry on sensationalising and dumbing down what ever happens.

Anyway, lets enjoy the fun today while it lasts....

Wednesday is when the republicans switch from Vote Trump, to 'Impeach Clinton'

The end of this election campaign is just the start of 4 more years of the lowest form of politics where the republicans spend all their energy trying to prevent anything from getting done, and then blaming Clinton for being ineffective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Of memory serves, I THINK the first ones should start coming in around 1am or just before, our time. That said, if I recall a few of the tiny states in the NE tend to come in before a gap... and then a flood at maybe 3am-ish. Again though going mainly off memory from previous elections here.

Keep in mind that Clinton will sweep the west coast, so you can add together their EC votes and add them to her total, allowing yourself to go to sleep that boy earlier. :)

Akrasia wrote: »
    Wednesday is when the republicans switch from Vote Trump, to 'Impeach Clinton'

The end of this election campaign is just the start of 4 more years of the lowest form of politics where the republicans spend all their energy trying to prevent anything from getting done, and then blaming Clinton for being ineffective.

Spot on. Republicans do not believe in democracy or honouring the will of the people, just one party rule - theirs. No doubt Hillary will get her very own shining Starr.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Of memory serves, I THINK the first ones should start coming in around 1am or just before, our time. That said, if I recall a few of the tiny states in the NE tend to come in before a gap... and then a flood at maybe 3am-ish. Again though going mainly off memory from previous elections here.

Keep in mind that Clinton will sweep the west coast, so you can add together their EC votes and add them to her total, allowing yourself to go to sleep that boy earlier. :)

I think we'll know the result by 3am. The key states will all come in early. If Clinton takes PA and NH, it's in the bag anyway.

It won't be called until much later though. I'll be watching Foxnews as usual, but I don't think we'll see the melt down by GOP talking heads this time.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Senate results come in.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Calling anywhere without knowing the percentage, actual lead or demographics of the voters is like saying you are going to live forever. Impossible. If you want, read Nate's analysis of it on 538, he says Nevada looks decent for Clinton but it is far, far too early to call it either way, still close.

That tweet is great though.

I think they're calling it based on knowing the registered parties of the voters - which they do. And also that there's been a big upsurge in Hispanic voters.

This is all IIRC but I think 2/3rds of Nevada votes have been cast and while they don't know how the actual votes went it would take either

A: a massive amount of registered democrats or Hispanics to have voted Trump

Or

B: a nearly unachievable Election Day turnout for Trump

For the state not to go to Hillary.

I'd go the other way with regards polls. If 66% of the votes are in, it makes far more sense to look at those than at polls.

Of course everything about this election is unprecedented so there is that too.

Brian? wrote: »
    I think we'll know the result by 3am. The key states will all come in early. If Clinton takes PA and NH, it's in the bag anyway.

It won't be called until much later though. I'll be watching Foxnews as usual, but I don't think we'll see the melt down by GOP talking heads this time.

Just bear in mind that due to the slightly later than normal election day this year, the US has switched already to daylight savings time, so everything will happen an hour later than usual. Would imagine that NH should be one of the earlier results as it's on EST and could be considered an indication of how the rest of the night could follow as its in Trump's list of must win states.

Brian? wrote: »

Not sure how accurate 53 os on the senate as opposed to the general, but it has shifted from about a 51% to a 57% chance of a democratic majority in the last 24 hours or so. Clinton has also made a small jump from about 64% to 67% in that time, it will be interesting go see how that shifts throughout the day with the FBI announcement yesterday, though might be too close to be anything significant. If the demo get above 60%and Clinton above 70% it would be telling of a potentially bigger shift that the data wouldn't have had time to allow for.

Not sure how accurate 53 os on the senate as opposed to the general, but it has shifted from about a 51% to a 57% chance of a democratic majority in the last 24 hours or so. Clinton has also made a small jump from about 64% to 67% in that time, it will be interesting go see how that shifts throughout the day with the FBI announcement yesterday, though might be too close to be anything significant. If the demo get above 60%and Clinton above 70% it would be telling of a potentially bigger shift that the data wouldn't have had time to allow for.

Saw a pretty decent analysis yesterday (on CNN I think) that showed the Dems on 50 seats and 2 too close to call. I think 538 had it about the same, with a 50/50 split and VP with the casting vote as the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Saw a pretty decent analysis yesterday (on CNN I think) that showed the Dems on 50 seats and 2 too close to call. I think 538 had it about the same, with a 50/50 split and VP with the casting vote as the most likely outcome.

If the Dems get above 48 in the Senate that will give them control considering the two independents are more left leaning.

Was that 50 including King and Sanders (both identify as independent) as Dems? For their leanings they are good as, but just curious. If not, as TheDoctor has pointed out a haul of 48 would be a majority, technically speaking, though would also likely mean quite a bit of bargaining to get their vote on certain things. Which, to be fair, would likely be a good thing.

The narrow lead might make it hard to get things done directly, but the overall implications especially in terms of visibility (e.g. no more McConnell boasting about doing anything but actually governing, not having McConnell/Ryan as a joint front the media etc) could make quite a difference, especially when considering the Supreme Court turning liberal for the first time in 35-40 years or however long it has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Staggered from 12am when the first east coast polls close to 4am when the west cost polls close. Alaska on its own at 5am.

With some states one sided they'll call a few the minute they close.

Here's a rough time schedule. Add 5 hours for Irish time.

http://www.270towin.com/closing.php

gosplan wrote: »
    I think they're calling it based on knowing the registered parties of the voters - which they do. And also that there's been a big upsurge in Hispanic voters.

This is all IIRC but I think 2/3rds of Nevada votes have been cast and while they don't know how the actual votes went it would take either

A: a massive amount of registered democrats or Hispanics to have voted Trump

Or

B: a nearly unachievable Election Day turnout for Trump

For the state not to go to Hillary.

I'd go the other way with regards polls. If 66% of the votes are in, it makes far more sense to look at those than at polls.

Of course everything about this election is unprecedented so there is that too.

In the same vein, 53% of Utah voters have already sent in their ballots.

That's made up of 77% of registered Democrats and 46% of registered republicians.

Calculations are that so far Hillary is up by 38-32 with McM on 22.

Obviously the caveats are that far more Republicians still have to vote and that the 'not registered to any party' crowd have to be accounted for too.

An interesting aside though is the Hispanic turnout. Saw it mentioned that this group are significantly underrepresented in English language polls but are also turning out in unprecedented numbers.

Could really be disaster for Trump in places like Florida.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Staggered from 12am when the first east coast polls close to 4am when the west cost polls close. Alaska on its own at 5am.

With some states one sided they'll call a few the minute they close.

Here's a rough time schedule. Add 5 hours for Irish time.

http://www.270towin.com/closing.php

By the way if anyone is confused re daylight savings time etc, we are currently in-sync again (e.g. 5 hours ahead of NY, 8 hours ahead of California). Just posting this since I forgot which way it was after last week, myself. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Americans must choose between "division and unity". Hillary
    This from a women who called Trump supporters deplorable and Bernie supporters basement dwellers .
    Trump on other hand '' I want to be a president for all of the people''

The Latina vote is one based on her biggest lie
    '' I want a path to citizenship for illegals ''
    She will say anything to win. I feel sorry for the Latina and black community who fall for it every 4 years. Their communities are not improving, in fact we have seen them drifting further into poverty with every Democratic vote.
    Obama is an embarrassment to the black community. He did nothing for them, it should have been his legacy. He had eight years and in that time we have seen more division than there was in the previous eight years.

There will be great celebrations for whoever wins.
    In the longer term, the winning party could well be the losing party. There are so many problems in the US and around the world, and the winner could end up paying, similar to how losing the 2007 Irish general election was the winning strategy (even if it was not what the losers wanted) in the longer game.

It is probably best if Hillary wins as it should put a stop to any future Chelsea bid. I think Hillary is going to be a disaster, same for Trump, so probably best that Hillary wins and finally destroys the Clintons.

This from a women who called Trump supporters deplorable and Bernie supporters basement dwellers .

The Latina vote is one based on her biggest lie
    '' I want a path to citizenship for illegals ''
    She will say anything to win. I feel sorry for the Latina and black community who fall for it every 4 years. Their communities are not improving, in fact we have seen them drifting further into poverty with every Democratic vote.
    Obama is an embarrassment to the black community. He did nothing for them, it should have been his legacy. He had eight years and in that time we have seen more division than there was in the previous eight years.

The black community also have Stockholm syndrome. Given it was the Republicans who outlawed slavery, and it was Democrats who wanted to keep it.
    It would be like Irish people supporting the Whig government/party who helped starve us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

RobertKK wrote: »
    There will be great celebrations for whoever wins.
    In the longer term, the winning party could well be the losing party. There are so many problems in the US and around the world, and the winner could end up paying, similar to how losing the 2007 Irish general election was the winning strategy (even if it was not what the losers wanted) in the longer game.

It is probably best if Hillary wins as it should put a stop to any future Chelsea bid. I think Hillary is going to be a disaster, same for Trump, so probably best that Hillary wins and finally destroys the Clintons.

What in the world has Chelsea done that is so deplorable to you?!?

The ones he decides to let in, let vote in the time he allots, allow to vote after running a gauntlet of his armed goons, ...

Seriously do you think Trump wants to be president for all the people? Including the ones he wants to jail that had the temerity to run against him or donate to his opponents?

Fareed Zakaria's summed him brilliantly: "These, then, are the core views of Donald Trump, expressed over decades, and confirmed by many of his actions: racism, sexism, protectionism, xenophobia and authoritarianism. His views on taxes and regulations are irrelevant. Your view of Hillary Clinton is irrelevant. Donald Trump is not a normal candidate. He is a danger to American democracy. And that is why I will vote against him on Tuesday"

Without getting into the comment you made about 'saying anything to win', do you not think there's a bit of double standards going on with the above comment?

Do you get why the things trump has said would make certain groups think he perhaps won't be a president 'for all the people'?

Christy42 wrote: »
    What in the world has Chelsea done that is so deplorable to you?!?

Political dynasties are bad for countries.
    They all just feel self entitled, with no new ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

The black community also have Stockholm syndrome. Given it was the Republicans who outlawed slavery, and it was Democrats who wanted to keep it.
    It would be like Irish people supporting the Whig government/party who helped starve us.

The parties have rather changed positions on this at this stage. I think looking at what they are liable to do is better than what they did years ago.th

It has been admited that Republicans targeted the black community with the war on drugshttps://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/03/23/politics/john-ehrlichman-richard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/index.html?client=ms-android-h3g-ie

Dem's have also been more supportive of initiatives to help get black communities out of poverty (social welfare, education etc.). Sure Dems largely ignore them but unfortunately that still makes the Dems leagues above the Republicans.

Political dynasties are bad for countries.
    They all just feel self entitled, with no new ideas.

Heh we don't have any of those..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_political_families

• Advertisement

Odds currently are Trump takes Ohio and Arizona, with Florida, North Carolina and Nevada virtually tied 50:50 % chances of winning.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=mobilebar&v=1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement