Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

gosplan wrote: »
    Without getting into the comment you made about 'saying anything to win', do you not think there's a bit of double standards going on with the above comment?

Do you get why the things trump has said would make certain groups think he perhaps won't be a president 'for all the people'?

He made mistakes.
    He was no politician , he soon put right his remarks.
    He said crazy things at start of this race, will cost him the victory.
    He talks differently now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Clinton uses her Clinton Foundation as a front, she used donated money for holidays, weddings, and her lifestyle .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He made mistakes.

But then we're back into saying anything or in Trumps case 'not saying stuff' to win.

I think for Trump, the damage is that people perceive that it's not his remarks that he needs to put right but rather his outlook.

Both are going to be populist to try and win the election but Trumps authentic views on things like immigrants, race and sex have cost him a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Clinton uses her Clinton Foundation as a front, she used donated money for holidays, weddings, and her lifestyle .
    Evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Can you actually prove anything you claim? We do know for a fact that Trump has used his own charity money for legal fees and portraits.

Meanwhile the Clinton foundation is a globally respected charity which has benefited people across the globe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

He made mistakes.

Did he not believe those things? Did he have a change of heart? Did his advisors finally manage to keep him from going off script? That last one is not an encouraging option as it means he still holds the views you deem (and I agree with you on) crazy.

This is a man who the big thing has always been can he stay on script and has even had his twitter access taken away by his campaign team. If I were a betting man I know which of those options I reckon are true.

Not being a politician does not excuse someone from being a horrible human being. You can't simply ignore everything Trump was before he entered the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Even if that is true, how is that in any way different to Trump who has been found out using his charities for himself and his family time and again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

RobertKK wrote: »
    Political dynasties are bad for countries.
    They all just feel self entitled, with no new ideas.

I suppose you wouldn't be in favour of Michelle Obama running for office in 4 years time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

This from a women who called Trump supporters deplorable and Bernie supporters basement dwellers .

When were these?
    The black community also have Stockholm syndrome. Given it was the Republicans who outlawed slavery, and it was Democrats who wanted to keep it.
    It would be like Irish people supporting the Whig government/party who helped starve us.

Why isn't David Duke running as a dem then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Overheal wrote: »
    Odds currently are Trump takes Ohio and Arizona, with Florida, North Carolina and Nevada virtually tied 50:50 % chances of winning.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=mobilebar&v=1

The Latino vote in FL is up 129% since 2012

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/04/politics/latinos-voter-turnout-early-voting-2016-election/

Nationally Clinton has a 50 point lead with Latino voters over Trump

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-trailguide-updates-latino-support-for-hillary-clinton-at-1478451714-htmlstory.html
    Hillary Clinton has support from 76% of the Latino electorate, according to the Noticias Telemundo/Latino Decisions /NALEO Educational Fund poll.
    That's a higher level of support than President Obama won in both of his elections. Latino Decisions' survey showed 75% of Latinos backed Obama in 2012. Exit polling put his support at 71%.
    Just 14% of Latino voters backed Trump, the survey found, That's about half of Mitt Romney's 27% showing with Latinos and fewer than the GOP's low-point when Bob Dole won 21% of the Latino vote in 1996.

And according to someone I know who works in US polling, Latino voters tend to get overlooked in most polls.

• Advertisement

TheOven wrote: »
    Why isn't David Duke running as a dem then?
    Robert seems to be entirely unaware of, or conveniently ignoring the entire Southern Strategy.

Billy86 wrote: »

Even if that is true, how is that in any way different to Trump who has been found out using his charities for himself and his family time and again?
    It isn't true. The Clinton Foundation has been audited to death and emerges with the highest rating awarded.

First Up wrote: »
    It isn't true. The Clinton Foundation has been audited to death and emerges with the highest rating awarded.

Oh, I know the Clinton Foundation have an A+ rating from CharityWatch who won't even rate the Trump Foundation because they don't consider it to really even be a charity despite it's claims. I'm just curious why this poster would try to bring this up when Trump has been caught with his pants down on treating himself and his family members to the funds of his 'charity' foundation time and again.

It's peculiar the issues Trump fans seem to have with reality and facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

So now president Obama is telling illegal aliens that they can go out and illegally vote and they don’t have to worry because no one will be spying on them or catching them because they vote? This sad sorry excuse for a president can’t leave office soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The NY Post claim that Hillary had her maid print out classified material.
    As secretary of state, Hillary Clinton routinely asked her maid to print out sensitive government e-mails and documents — including ones containing classified information — from her house in Washington, DC, e-mails and FBI memos show. But the housekeeper lacked the security clearance to handle such material.
    In fact, Marina Santos was called on so frequently to receive e-mails that she may hold the secrets to E-mailgate — if only the FBI and Congress would subpoena her and the equipment she used.
    Clinton entrusted far more than the care of her DC residence, known as Whitehaven, to Santos. She expected the Filipino immigrant to handle state secrets, further opening the Democratic presidential nominee to criticism that she played fast and loose with national security.
    Clinton would first receive highly sensitive e-mails from top aides at the State Department and then request that they, in turn, forward the messages and any attached documents to Santos to print out for her at the home.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/06/clinton-directed-her-maid-to-print-out-classified-materials/

Again, if true, it shows Obama's bad judgement when he talks about the most qualified candidate ever. If all this is true it shows Hillary intentionally leaked classified and sensitive material to a person who had no clearance to handle it.
    Just like Bradley/Chelsea Manning intentionally allowing people with no clearance to access classified documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Oh, I know the Clinton Foundation have an A+ rating from CharityWatch who won't even rate the Trump Foundation because they don't consider it to really even be a charity despite it's claims. I'm just curious why this poster would try to bring this up when Trump has been caught with his pants down on treating himself and his family members to the funds of his 'charity' foundation time and again.

That could be said of both sides. It's been an extremely embarrassing campaign for both candidates and their supporters.

glued wrote: »
    That could be said of both sides. It's been an extremely embarrassing campaign for both candidates and their supporters.

That's exactly my point - that even if true, re the Clinton Foundation, Trump has been caught doing what BornetobeWilde was giving out about himself on multiple occasions.

It would be like those in favour of Clinton having a go at Trump for deleting emails. Nonsensical.

The NY Post claim that Hillary had her maid print out classified material.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/06/clinton-directed-her-maid-to-print-out-classified-materials/

Again, if true, it shows Obama's bad judgement when he talks about the most qualified candidate ever. If all this is true it shows Hillary intentionally leaked classified and sensitive material to a person who had no clearance to handle it.
    Just like Bradley/Chelsea Manning intentionally allowing people with no clearance to access classified documents.

Not true I'm afraid. Was in here yesterday or perhaps the other thread about e-mails. Nothing marked classified IIRC.

When will they give up?

8 years and 10s of millions spent going after Obama and Hillary. All the GOP has done is open the door to the far right and completely take it's eye off the ball of national politics.

Remember when people here in Ireland had a problem with Console and how the founder paid himself and used it to benefit themselves.

There are claims that Chelsea gets paid $900,000 from the 'charity', and a claim her $3 million wedding was paid for by the foundation.
    Doug Band who has associations with the Clintons made this claim about the wedding.

Not true I'm afraid. Was in here yesterday or perhaps the other thread about e-mails. Nothing marked classified IIRC.

When will they give up?

8 years and 10s of millions spent going after Obama and Hillary. All the GOP has done is open the door to the far right and completely take it's eye off the ball of national politics.

I heard nothing about the maid until I read that. It seems she was not questioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

If Trump wins, this could happen...

But yeah they are both ridiculous.

glued wrote: »

I have yet to see Clinton simply make stuff up, or see her supporters parroting nonsense as fact.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Political dynasties are bad for countries.
    They all just feel self entitled, with no new ideas.

Some of the greatest presidents were related to previous presidents. The prime example was FDR

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

When will they give up?

Sorry, they've done two other things too.

1: determined that past state depts have kept private e-mail servers and that this shouldn't happen.

2: determined that the Obama administration played politics with the Benghazi story.

And that's it.

No smoking gun, despite how badly people want there to be.

Stop wasting public resources and time on witch hunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Brian? wrote: »
    Some of the greatest presidents were related to previous presidents. The prime example was FDR
    On the other hand, you have George W.

Robert seems to be entirely unaware of, or conveniently ignoring the entire Southern Strategy.

Black people and racists are very confused people it would seem.

Brian? wrote: »

...and some are like the North Koreans Kim family.

Time for the US to move on from the Clinton and Bush families. Two families of self entitled people who believe they should rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Was that 50 including King and Sanders (both identify as independent) as Dems? For their leanings they are good as, but just curious. If not, as TheDoctor has pointed out a haul of 48 would be a majority, technically speaking, though would also likely mean quite a bit of bargaining to get their vote on certain things. Which, to be fair, would likely be a good thing.

The narrow lead might make it hard to get things done directly, but the overall implications especially in terms of visibility (e.g. no more McConnell boasting about doing anything but actually governing, not having McConnell/Ryan as a joint front the media etc) could make quite a difference, especially when considering the Supreme Court turning liberal for the first time in 35-40 years or however long it has been.

Good question - my guess was that they were including the two independents in the Dems total as the conversation focused on control of the senate and they were not mentioned, so I'd have to say it was clear they were included.

Time for the US to move on from the Clinton and Bush families. Two families of self entitled people who believe they should rule.

So some are bad and some are good. HOW about we judge Chelsea on her own merits when and if she goes for office.

• Advertisement

You mean Hillary calling Robert Byrd a close friend?

Bill making excuses for him:
    They mention that he once had a fleeting association with the Ku Klux Klan, and what does that mean? I'll tell you what it means. He was a country boy from the hills and hollows of West Virginia. He was trying to get elected. And maybe he did something he shouldn't have done, and he spent the rest of his life making it up. And that's what a good person does. There are no perfect people. There certainly are no perfect politicians.

His fleeting association involved recruiting over 150 members to klan, and the Klan praising him saying he had leadership skills and the country needed people like him in leadership. It was the klan that got him into politics.
    But at least he is a friend of the Clintons and not Trump...I think Byrd has spent the rest of his life making it up...

Christy42 wrote: »
    So some are bad and some are good. HOW about we judge Chelsea on her own merits when and if she goes for office.

A self entitled rich girl, who has benefited from the status of her parents and who seemingly has been a charity case.

They mention that he once had a fleeting association with the Ku Klux Klan, and what does that mean? I'll tell you what it means. He was a country boy from the hills and hollows of West Virginia. He was trying to get elected. And maybe he did something he shouldn't have done, and he spent the rest of his life making it up. And that's what a good person does. There are no perfect people. There certainly are no perfect politicians.

His fleeting association involved recruiting over 150 members to klan, and the Klan praising him saying he had leadership skills and the country needed people like him in leadership. It was the klan that got him into politics.
    But at least he is a friend of the Clintons and not Trump...I think Byrd has spent the rest of his life making it up...
    Besides the fact that that would be offset by Trump's long, stories historu of racism, can you remind me what your post has to do with the southern strategy and the GOP there, Robert? That same southern strategy that was a major reason Clinton flipped from Republican to Democrat?

What does it have to do with the GOP and the southern strategy, please let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

RobertKK wrote:
    A self entitled rich girl, who has benefited from the status of her parents
    That's a gender change away from describing Donald.

We have former member of KKK who left and tried to change vs the actual KKK.

Clearly we can all see that Dems are the true racists.

That's a gender change away from describing Donald.

His father was not in politics.

Politics needs new blood, not the same old blood, doing the same old thing, which is usually to benefit themselves.
    Not saying Trump is not in it to benefit himself, but he is new blood.

• Advertisement

Not sure if there's much point focusing on the polls today - so much early voting has already happened, the noise of the weekend and the Comey letter won't be included and it's hard to know if that would have had a huge impact anyway. Polls are not conclusive at this point and, to quote the old cliche again, turnout will be king.

Having a quick look at RCP, most polls are national and almost all within or just within the margin of error and on Hillary's side bar two tracking polls that always seem to be skewed towards Trump. NV, NC, and FL all had one poll with a 1 or 2 point advantage for Hillary, so within the margin of error and NV and FL have had substantial early voting.

So, not much to do but wait for a November surprise today and get ready for the fun and games tomorrow night...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A self entitled rich girl, who has benefited from the status of her parents and who seemingly has been a charity case.
    Replace girl with boy and you got Trump; so what's your point?

To expand on another reply it is a gender change away from any likely opponents if you think of Romney, Bush's, Trump, etc.

And if the GOP had put up a palatable candidate, you would get your wish.

You still may but it looks more and more like Clinton for four years.

The GOP needs a strategy because of the economy turns around (and growth has been doubling for the last three quarters) they'll waste four more years trying to bring her down only to see her reelected.

But overall, the GOP needs to unify behind someone that doesn't drive away minority groups and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

People should read this post.

Rape plane, rape island, Muslim brotherhood, Serbian witch.

Seriously.

All documented. Check these facts.

The Clintons are logged on the Epstein's Lolita Express which we know was used by Epstein to rape underage girls and we know they flew on his rape jet to his Caribbean island where we know Epstein hosted parties where underage girls were raped by VIPs. What were the Clinton's doing there unless they also took part?

Huma Abbedin's family are leading members of the Muslim Brotherhood the ideological centre of the global Islamist movement funded by Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Why has she been Hillary's body woman since she was 19 years old? Isn't it interesting that the Clinton Foundation is funded by Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

John Podesta who is the leading Democrat mover and shaker in Washington who has been involved in the Clinton and Obama Presidencies has been attending Spirit Cooking ceremonies with a Serbian witch Marina Abramovic.

I am not making this up.

You can independently verify this if you bothered to check.

• Advertisement

And if the GOP had put up a palatable candidate, you would get your wish.

You still may but it looks more and more like Clinton for four years.

The GOP needs a strategy because of the economy turns around (and growth has been doubling for the last three quarters) they'll waste four more years trying to bring her down only to see her reelected.

But overall, the GOP needs to unify behind someone that doesn't drive away minority groups and women.

The best thing that can happen to the Republicans is for Trump to lose, because in 4 years time the US and the world will be so sick of Hillary Clinton and her incompetence.
    Trump could destroy the Republican party by winning, but then I think Hillary will do the same for the Democrats and a part of me wants Hillary to win to prove her incompetence and to make people see how silly they have been thinking that one option was better than the other.
    A lot of people just ask 'Out of all the people in the US, how did they end up with these two?'.

I agree the GOP need someone to unify behind, and that is not Trump, and they won't have to if Hillary wins.
    The only thing the GOP win with Trump is Supreme court nominees, but losing the election is better since the world is on a downward trajectory at present, and Hillary has proven to be very incompetent on world affairs which will probably limit her to a 4 year term.
    She won't be able to resist a 'boots on the ground' war.

The Clintons are logged on the Epstein's Lolita Express which we know was used by Epstein to rape underage girls and we know they flew on his rape jet to his Caribbean island where we know Epstein hosted parties where underage girls were raped by VIPs. What were the Clinton's doing there unless they also took part?

Huma Abbedin's family are leading members of the Muslim Brotherhood the ideological centre of the global Islamist movement funded by Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Why has she been Hillary's body woman since she was 19 years old? Isn't it interesting that the Clinton Foundation is funded by Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

John Podesta who is the leading Democrat mover and shaker in Washington who has been involved in the Clinton and Obama Presidencies has been attending Spirit Cooking ceremonies with a Serbian witch Marina Abramovic.

I am not making this up.

Epstein:

Do you think it's possible that he was just a rich guy with lots of ties to important people. I mean was everyone with a connection to him implicit in peadophile rings? Because after all

"I've known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy,'' Trump once said about the convicted sex offender. "He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it -- Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

And

Q: Have you ever had a personal relationship with Donald Trump?
    A. What do you mean by "personal relationship," sir?
    Q. Have you socialized with him?
    A. Yes, sir.
    Q. Yes?
    A. Yes, sir.
    Q. Have you ever socialized with Donald Trump in the presence of females under the age of 18?
    A: Though I'd like to answer that question, at least today I'm going to have to assert my Fifth, Sixth, and 14th Amendment rights, sir.

Note I'm not accusing Trunp of anything. You should be right now though given the evidence should be enough for you.

Wow, check this out if your BS threshold hasn't been reached yet today - http://www.wnd.com/2016/11/obama-encourages-illegal-aliens-to-vote/

Another great example of how a measured response to a question gets completely distorted into a sensational headline that bears no relation to the intent and meaning of what was actually said.

Prime example where the misleading headline will get picked up and repeated elsewhere as fact - 'it's being reported that in an interview with a Hispanic media organisation, Obama called for illegal immigrants to vote in the election and nothing will happen'. It's like Chinese whispers - once you get to one degree of separation from the source, it's fact. Unreal...

Edit - apologies for the dupe post, had missed Amerika's post as, no offense, I've tended to skip them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,344 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amerika wrote: »
    So now president Obama is telling illegal aliens that they can go out and illegally vote and they don’t have to worry because no one will be spying on them or catching them because they vote? This sad sorry excuse for a president can’t leave office soon enough.

Anyone capable of critical thinking knows that's not what happened here. The fact being that if you're eligible to vote it's because you're a citizen. If you really want to turn off your brain then sure he said illegals can run across the border in vote to gain citizenship. Spare us your twaddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭briany

His father was not in politics.

Politics needs new blood, not the same old blood, doing the same old thing, which is usually to benefit themselves.
    Not saying Trump is not in it to benefit himself, but he is new blood.

If the new blood has the same objective as the old, what is even the point?

briany wrote: »
    If the new blood has the same objective as the old, what is even the point?

You mean like with Obama?

Trump is new blood that does not have the same objectives as the old blood. Not saying it is great or anything, but it is different.

I am not making this up.

Muslim Brotherhood:

This is amazing.

Clinton's aide's father, a Saudi academic, published an academic journal, with the support of the president of a university, who was later sec gen of an Islamic NGO, who authorised a Pakistani charity, which later became associated with Al Qaeda. 25 years later.

GOP should have just practiced the Kevin Bacon game instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Are you seriously comparing the Clintons to the Kims? Take a deep breath and think about this one.

The Bush family is a political dynasty going back to Taft, if not further.

I honestly don't see how you can compare the Clinton family to the Bush dynasty. One generation of Clintons have been elected to office. As far as I know Chelsea hasn't run for office.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I am not making this up.

Podesta Serbian witch:

Firstly weird kooky avant garde artist is a bit better than Serbian Witch. I like the way you feel the need to include 'Serbian' in that though.

You say 'has been attending'. WRONG.

'Was invited to' is better.

But look, lets assuming he's at them all the time. Whatever weird stuff he wants to get up to in his own time makes no difference as long as it's between similarly weird consenting adults.

Isn't that what libertarianism is about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,344 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"small loan of a million dollars"
    rape jet

Unless the seats were made of ass-penetrating dildos I don't see how this wasn't just an airplane.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement