Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

No. People died unnecessarily and families were lied to. She went on national TV calling the families liars. It's not good enough imo. How long did Liverpool FC campaign for Hillsborough Justice, I don't see how it's any different.

What happened to the line of ifs? Did you get new evidence?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Bruce Springsteen supporting Hillary today. She has so many stars on her side. She'd had John Bon Jovi, Lebron James, JR Smith, Beyonce, Jay-Z and Jenifer Lopez too name a few with her on the campaign trail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

When will Hillary be projected as the next POTUS? About 30 hours time?

Also, is it best to cool champagne before you pop it or can it be popped warm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Agreed, but unfortunately just about every politician in the US is - Clinton being no exception. Sanders was a very rare ray of light on that front (rather laughable how some commentators tried to label him anti semitic, clearly unaware that he's Jewish himself)

It's the level of her support that is off-putting.

Not that she supports Israel.

That was one of my favourite aspects of Sanders.

I saw a great quote on Reddit a while ago during the primaries and it was something like, "I'm a young broke Palestinian immigrant and my only hope is an old Jew". [sic]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump will be reason Clinton wins. Had Trump not run then clean cut Ted Cruz would have walked this against Hillary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,343 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bloomberg reports the markets are booming ahead of tomorrow: an early indication that investors anticipate a Clinton win and a rise in stock. When trump was gaining ground the price of gold was increasing...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-06/mexico-peso-jumps-as-fbi-reaffirms-e-mails-view-yen-franc-sink?cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Trump will be reason Clinton wins. Had Trump not run then clean cut Ted Cruz would have walked this against Hillary.

It will be a bitter pill for the anti-Clinton faction to swallow when it becomes apparent that trump was so obnoxious that he handed a presidency to a second Clinton.

Cruz v. Sanders would have been a more complex, involving debate

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Clean cut Ted Cruz the religious fanatic, to give him his full title. Hillary would have eaten him alive in the debates.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Overheal wrote: »
    bloomberg reports the markets are booming ahead of tomorrow: an early indication that investors anticipate a Clinton win and a rise in stock. When trump was gaining ground the price of gold was increasing...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-06/mexico-peso-jumps-as-fbi-reaffirms-e-mails-view-yen-franc-sink?cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

It will be a bad day for Bitcoin so.....:)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Two soldiers witnessed what happened in Benghazi...
    How come nine congressional hearings didn't manage to unearth these witnesses?
    Properly chilled, you heathen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,373 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And the GOP had their chance and thew blew it. I mean if trump doesnt win the GOP HAVE to from 2016 and if they dont then they are destined to repeat the mistake again. I think that the GOP assumed like most people that trumps campaign were by like a fireworks display and it didn't and they couldn't stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Brian? wrote: »
    Clean cut Ted Cruz the religious fanatic, to give him his full title. Hillary would have eaten him alive in the debates.

He'd have lost, but not due to the debates. Cruz did fine in the republican debates in what were essentially freak shows, in presidental debates with a more civilised setting against Clinton no reason to suggest he would not at least hold his own.

And....
    When he was at Princeton, Mr Cruz was an award-winning debater. In 1992 he won both the US National Debating Championship and the North American Debating Championship. In 1995 he was a semifinalist in the World Universities Debating Championship.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32023159

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RobertKK wrote: »
    So the Democrats were advising CNN on what questions to ask Trump and Cruz.

Nothing surprises at this stage.

If you think Republicans don't get calls from journalists or stories get "leaked" well...

Hell the bloody FBI is leaking like a sieve depending on political affiliation!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

When will Hillary be projected as the next POTUS? About 30 hours time?

You can pop it warm if you want, but I would never waste champagne to celebrate a politician who is likely to be crooked or orange...

K-9 wrote: »
    If you think Republicans don't get calls from journalists or stories get "leaked" well...

Hell the bloody FBI is leaking like a sieve depending on political affiliation!

Course they do, Sarah Palin said on Fox News yesterday to Bill O'Reilly did he remember her calling him in 2008 at 3am about the need to motivate the conservative base.

CNN seem to be like an arm of the Democrats at times and it is all a bit incestuous at this stage, CNN claim they talked to the Republicans about what they should ask the Democrats but it is just their word and they did cover up the Donna Brazile question leaks until Wikileaks made it impossible, so CNN has trust issues.

A lot in the media and I include this country do seem to be pushing certain agendas and biases, and they are too stupid to see that the really stupid people are themselves as people see through them, and not the assumed stupid who will swallow the message they want to people to believe.
    One needs to be cynical, and being a cynic, I don't see any winner tomorrow, maybe the only winner will be the losing party in 4 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

With a bit of luck, the public will win at least on one front. Both parties should have learned from this debacle that the voters, no matter what colour or class, are sick of them and their lack of interest in what Joe/Josie voter wants from them. If they haven't learned this, then the 2020 election may have a lower turn-out.

I don't think Don has in any way planned for the future on what he would have to do if he got the job. I listened to him tonight repeating what he said weeks ago about the Admin repeatedly letting the Isis forces in Mosul know they're coming "next month, next week" etc. It's as if he doesn't know Mosul is slowly being retaken from Isis and when he takes office he's going to send in US forces to do it. He doesn't stop blaming HRC for the casualty rate abroad and the wars she got the US involved but won't hesitate in ensuring the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

aloyisious wrote: »
    With a bit of luck, the public will win at least on one front. Both parties should have learned from this debacle that the voters, no matter what colour or class, are sick of them and their lack of interest in what Joe/Josie voter wants from them. If they haven't learned this, then the 2020 election may have a lower turn-out.
    Odds are neither party will have learned anything from this election, and after 8 November 2016 has been decided, it will be business as usual for the next 4 years. If Hillary Clinton wins, the "Party of No" Republican congress will continue blocking her as they did for 8 years of Obama, with the exception of 2 years when the Democrats had a majority in 2 houses and they passed that outrageously expensive RomneyCare/ObamaCare that mostly benefited private sector for profit medical insurance corporations.

Black Swan wrote: »
    that outrageously expensive RomneyCare/ObamaCare that mostly benefited private sector for profit medical insurance corporations.

I think a lot of ordinary people benefited as well.

Isn't it amazing that in 6 or so years the medical lobbies haven't written up any sort of legislation that models what would replace Obamacare? It's like they had no interest in getting rid of it.

In entirely unrelated news, profits on insulin are out of this world

Black Swan wrote: »
    Odds are neither party will have learned anything from this election, and after 8 November 2016 has been decided, it will be business as usual for the next 4 years. If Hillary Clinton wins, the "Party of No" Republican congress will continue blocking her as they did for 8 years of Obama, with the exception of 2 years when the Democrats had a majority in 2 houses and they passed that outrageously expensive RomneyCare/ObamaCare that mostly benefited private sector for profit medical insurance corporations.

Yeah on your 1st. From what I've seen here, there may be a hogtied Admin if voter apathy at national level is copied at local level. I'm looking at how the nomination of Don has split the Rep Party apart, so that some of it's members are treating each other like the party is treating Don.

Re your 2nd, the medical legislation bill issue (which, being non-US, I know nothing about) from what I've read on the blame-game on this thread, it seems to have avoided any mention of the fact that it is private medical insurance companies who are actually hiking the rates but insisting the two parties are at fault, through the differing bills each promoted. I just couldn't see Don being able to make an improvement on that situation, even if he had the best brains, best of both parties and best intent, as market forces (read vested interests) would not allow him do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id agree with this. I think Jeb Bush would have had a shot against her. Unfortunately he got flattened by the unstoppable Trump train phenomenon this time around. He's mobilised the old angry white vote like nobody else before has. Fortunately I reckon this is the last desperate fart of a dieing corpse when it comes the old angry white vote being able to affect elections in the US. There just won't be enough of them left next time round.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Id agree with this. I think Jeb Bush would have had a shot against her. Unfortunately he got flattened by the unstoppable Trump train phenomenon this time around. He's mobilised the old angry white vote like nobody else before has. Fortunately I reckon this is the last desperate fart of a dieing corpse when it comes the old angry white vote being able to affect elections in the US. There just won't be enough of them left next time round.

If the last two years have taught me anything is there are plenty of racist millenials to replace them, many learning from those before them

Hell has frozen over. Glenn "Nazi Tourette's" Beck has praised President Obama, said he made him a better person, apologized for calling him a racist, and says there's a moral obligation to vote against Trump even if Hillary wins

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/304734-glenn-beck-obama-made-me-a-better-man

I am absolutely, genuinely surprised. What ghost of Christmas haunted him recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

One thing that will me make me sad when trump looses if that now we will never get to see his bloody Tax Returns :( they would have made some great reading . There is a good chance he will be done for tax evasion after the IRS are finished with him. Also I reckon it will show that he has given nothing to charity (apart from his own foundation) and he is only worth a fraction of what he claims.

I also can't wait for the film that will be made about this election. The Sarah Palin and the Florida debacle films were great.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Apparently he hasn't given anything to his own charity since 08.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

We've made it folks, Election day. In about 20 hours it will all be over.

Unless Donald loses and doesn't accept it.

First votes results from New Hampshire.
    Trump 32 votes
    Clinton 23 votes
    Johnson 4 votes
    Stein 0 votes
    Sanders 3 votes
    Romney 1 votes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,373 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TheDoctor wrote: »

By accept do you mean concede ?because a candidate conceding and making a consession speech mean nothing legally to the election result whatsoever. It's just something that has become a Courtesy which whether you like the GOP party candidates or not they have conceded graciously the last two times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

He will have to accept it. It's going to be an interesting concession speech unless he throws a massive hissy fit and doesn't do one.

• Advertisement

Approx 6.4 million votes cast in early Florida voting with record turnout of minorities. Early voting likely to be over 60% of the total. 8.3 million voted in 2012.

Trump 32 votes
    Clinton 23 votes
    Johnson 4 votes
    Stein 0 votes
    Sanders 3 votes
    Romney 1 votes

Fair play to Romney.

About 700K voters in 2012 so a bit on the early side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

At least the Trump supporters have lots of signs they can arm themselves with for the worlds quickest revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Trump 32 votes
    Clinton 23 votes
    Johnson 4 votes
    Stein 0 votes
    Sanders 3 votes
    Romney 1 votes

The rule allowing them to vote at midnight for areas with less than 100 people is amusing.

This is one is pretty irrelevant but they have some weird laws around elections which seem suited to the 18/19th centuries and just never end up getting updated.

Thinking about some of the posts here from people not fond of Hillary, which I took issue with, I've woken to the fact that they are taxpayers and might be working off gripes about the Govt and Congress and the spending of their tax-dollars, and not just because they favoured one candidate over another. My apologies to the US citizen-voters posting here for not seeing that much earlier.

Predict the winner of the following states:

Florida
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Nevada
    Arizona
    Iowa
    Pennsylvania
    New Hampshire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Florida-Trump
    North Carolina-Trump
    Ohio-Trumo
    Nevada-Hillary
    Arizona-Trump
    Iowa-Trump
    Pennsylvania-Hillary
    New Hampshire-Hillary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Florida Trump
    North Carolina Liar
    Ohio Trump
    Nevada Trump
    Arizona Trump
    Iowa Trump
    Pennsylvania Trump
    New Hampshire Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Hillary wins first vote...

https://t.co/Rl2AHLPvM7

Just in: Hillary Clinton wins Dixville Notch, New Hampshire with 4 votes. Trump gets 2 votes. Romney & Johnson get one vote each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don't understand how some polling locations can have queues hours long. I've never had to queue to vote here. Are our polling booths overstaffed, the US ones under-staffed, or do they have to go through masses of checks on identity?

Florida- T
    North Carolina - H
    Ohio - T
    Nevada - H
    Arizona - T
    Iowa- T
    Pennsylvania- H
    New Hampshire -H

Easy

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Anatom wrote: »
    Hillary wins first vote...

https://t.co/Rl2AHLPvM7

Just in: Hillary Clinton wins Dixville Notch, New Hampshire with 4 votes. Trump gets 2 votes. Romney & Johnson get one vote each.

woooohooo, 2:1 Landslide! :pac:

Florida H
    North Carolina H
    Ohio T
    Nevada T
    Arizona H
    Iowa T
    Pennsylvania H
    New Hampshire H

Florida is key. I think Trump has annoyed enough Latinos (snowbirds will vote at home?) to swing it.

Florida is key. I think Trump has annoyed enough Latinos (snowbirds will vote at home?) to swing it.

Nate Silver is giving Florida to Trump. I'm not going to argue with him.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

woooohooo, 2:1 Landslide! :pac:

Although I did think it was possible at one stage, I don't think that ratio will be one we'll be repeating in the morning!! (Unfortunately!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't understand how some polling locations can have queues hours long. I've never had to queue to vote here. Are our polling booths overstaffed, the US ones under-staffed, or do they have to go through masses of checks on identity?
    In many cases its a form of gerrymandering almost, certain governors target certain areas that are likely go vote against their party by ensuring huge queues etc that will last for hours while areas more likely to vote for their parties get great service that sees them I band out nice and quick, to process as many of them as possible, as quickly and painlessly as possible. Pathetic carry on really, and a reason for a lot of the "voters fraud" rhetoric that ties in with and attempts to justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wow. Trump on Fox News just now.

“I see so many hopes and so many dreams that didn’t happen that could have happened with proper leadership,” says Trump on Fox News.

“People are hurting, veterans are hurting… they’ve been hurt so badly, being taken care of so badly,” says Trump.

“It’s very sad. At the same time, our country has such tremendous potential,” he adds.

It's been an amazing process, about 17 or 18 months since I came up with it... it’s been a beautiful process, the people of this country are incredible, I’ve met the people at every level and they are amazing. People say what have you learned? That’s what I’ve learned: the people are amazing,” said Trump.

If he had spoken like that all year, he'd win comfortably.

Nate Silver is giving Florida to Trump. I'm not going to argue with him.

Not on any of the models I can see. All giving Florida to Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

gosplan wrote: »

“I see so many hopes and so many dreams that didn’t happen that could have happened with proper leadership,” says Trump on Fox News.

“People are hurting, veterans are hurting… they’ve been hurt so badly, being taken care of so badly,” says Trump.

“It’s very sad. At the same time, our country has such tremendous potential,” he adds.

It's been an amazing process, about 17 or 18 months since I came up with it... it’s been a beautiful process, the people of this country are incredible, I’ve met the people at every level and they are amazing. People say what have you learned? That’s what I’ve learned: the people are amazing,” said Trump.

He does not mean a word of it. He is incapable of coherence and decency. The only thing consistent about him is his obnoxiousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The only people he can convince are the faithful.

He has shown how great he thinks the country is by rorting things so he never contributed to it by paying taxes.

Veterans are hurting because of his comments to the family of one.

His words fail any test of sincerity or reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Why should he win speaking like that?
    It's all platitudes - no substance. It's easy to come up with guff like that - where's the substance? Where's the plan to fix it?

'People are amazing' - great, but where's the substance, where's the plan to improve people's lives? Lowering taxes and eliminating regulations, which is about as detailed as he has been, will fix nothing.
    Shouting about how bad Obamacare is and then saying it should be replaced with something better, and that's it, just something better but absolutely no detail or demonstrating any understanding of what might actually be better.
    Complained about the mid-east strategy and said he had a plan - when pressed, he would never say and then finally said that his plan would be to ask the Generals that are already in place to come up with a plan in 30 days?!?!

If saying nice things means someone should win the presidency, then I really fear for the US. If all it takes is nice platitudes, and not detailed policy understanding, then the mess they are in is just going to deepen...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement