Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ironically had he not run Ted Cruz would have won this in a landslide against someone like Hillary. So in a way trump is handing it to her if he loses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Its fair to say whoever gets elected will have to have a serious security team for the next 4 years (if they last) and considering the polarised detest for both, there will be some nasty events on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

46% want more conservative policies according to CNN exit poll.

woah what just happened? trump went from 7 to 8's in 30 secs

Reacting to people who put money on Hillary. They don't know anything except more and more money is going on Hillary.
    That is the trend and people are following it to win some money, but no one truly knows a lot just yet .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

Its fair to say whoever gets elected will have to have a serious security team for the next 4 years (if they last) and considering the polarised detest for both, there will be some nasty events on the horizon.

If Obama can survive, anyone can. I'm sure there will be some attempts but Y'allqueda tend to be mostly talk when it comes to actually doing anything with those guns.

• Advertisement

Trump has some crazy people out there who think he represents them, he does not though, not at all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Reacting to people who put money on Hillary. They don't know anything except more and more money is going on Hillary.
    That is the trend and people are following it to win some money, but no one truly knows a lot just yet .

Aye its just bookies covering liabilities nothing else. The lads in Powers etc that is all they are reacting to, lads who think that HC is free money. They have no more knowledge than many here on this election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Im calling it either deadlocked or a very narrow Trump victory.

I called Brexit early as well :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Ironically had he not run Ted Cruz would have won this in a landslide against someone like Hillary. So in a way trump is handing it to her if he loses.

??
    Based on what - he's hated by his own party, not even his daughters like him - he's the one other contender in the primaries that Hillary could have beaten handily. If Kaisich had been the nominee, he could have walked it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The exit polls at midnight will give accurate result?

• Advertisement

TheOven wrote: »
    If Obama can survive, anyone can. I'm sure there will be some attempts but Y'allqueda tend to be mostly talk when it comes to actually doing anything with those guns.

Not at all. The reaction to Obama being elected was one of the most moderate electoral reactions in decades. (including Clinton). His only problems were that he was far too moderate a POTUS. Left little legacy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Im calling it either deadlocked or a very narrow Trump victory.

I called Brexit early as well :eek:

I'm calling it Hillary with at least 50 electoral college votes to spare

Trump has some crazy people out there who think he represents them, he does not though, not at all .

He ain't gonna win but if he did he would also most likely soon face the wrath of some of his most extreme supporters.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I'm calling it Hillary with at least 50 electoral college votes to spare

Are you of the opinion that trump loses Florida NC NV MI?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Are you of the opinion that trump loses Florida NC NV MI?

Trump loses NV and MI, definitely . NC is trending blue.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    ??
    Based on what - he's hated by his own party, not even his daughters like him - he's the one other contender in the primaries that Hillary could have beaten handily. If Kaisich had been the nominee, he could have walked it...

Based on fact he would of won nomination I guess had Trump not ran.
    He is clean cut and appealed to the masses. Had Trump came down those stairs last year and not had a go at Mexicans he too could have won.
    Looking back it was a huge mistake. It was only in last month that he appealed to them and the black community . He burned those bridges though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

price690 wrote: »
    Wasn't the stay campaign for Brexit similarly odds on aswell when polls closed?

I dont think it was that wide. Remain was about 2 / 5 which is nowhere near Hillarys 1 / 6.

Bookies odds are usually a good predictor in American elections but are not infallible because a number of things come into play.....eg. larger bets sway the odds, but they would usually be from richer people, who would tend to be republican, so they cannot be relied on completely.

It is a v e r y wide margin.

http://www.slate.com/votecastr_election_day_turnout_tracker.html

They just updated again - annoyingly, they are not giving a percentage of the vote, just the actual vote numbers, but Hillary is still up in all 7 states.

Florida has a serious uplift in voter turnout - they've already well exceeded the total vote in 2012 - and Hillary still has a handy lead.

All the rest are neck and neck, so too early to make any determination, but it does look like she'll carry Florida at least.

NC is not included in this site, which is a pity, but my guess is that it'll look close and then in the end Hillary should exceed 300, possibly 323

Brian? wrote: »

I think we are in for a night of surprises. Im not in anyway a Trump lover or Clinton for that matter so i have no axe to grind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Based on what?

I think he will take Nevada personally but I'm not pretending to be sure of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Trump tried to stop some Latinos votes being counted in Nevada. That's horrendous!

Based on what?

I think the panic around Trump's team suggesting Democrat bias voting methods and the lawsuit today would suggest they are pretty confident/worried themselves they will lose Nevada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CNN are reporting that the Clinton camp are extremely worried about North Carolina.

Based on what?

Based on the predictions of Nate Silver. He called 50/50 states correctly in 2012 and 49/50 correct in 2008.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=mobilebar&v=1

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Clinton has to be happy with the way things are developing in Florida and Nevada.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    CNN are reporting that the Clinton camp are extremely worried about North Carolina.

It's really close. She doesn't need it though. There's a decent chance she gets Florida, that's game over.

they/them/theirs

Based on the predictions of Nate Silver. He called 50/50 states correctly in 2012 and 49/50 correct in 2008.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=mobilebar&v=1

I have looked at that site more than any other in the last few months and if this was a normal :confused: election id be calling Clinton the winner

This is not a normal election however and i just cant escape the feeling that a latent Trump vote exists.

I will say this again though i am not a Trump lover the possibility of a Trump presidency scares the crap out of me

Might want to take a look again - he gives it 58.3 - 41.7 to Clinton....

I have looked at that site more than any other in the last few months and if this was a normal :confused: election id be calling Clinton the winner

This is not a normal election however and i just cant escape the feeling that a latent Trump vote exists.

I will say this again though i am not a Trump lover the possibility of a Trump presidency scares the crap out of me

I don't believe in the silent voter phenomenon, it has never been shown to exist. Most of the election shocks like Brexit were in the polls margin for error.

There is a huge turnout though, that may play into Trump's hands.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A majority of Americans are concerned or scared whoever wins.

Might want to take a look again - he gives it 58.3 - 41.7 to Clinton....

Look at which state?

they/them/theirs

Democrats want polls left open beyond the time they close. That is not right either.
    If they are down in an area they use local radio to get message out and then the go to courts to keep polls open .

I don't believe in the silent voter phenomenon, it has never been shown to exist. Most of the election shocks like Brexit were in the polls margin for error.

That does sound so counter-intuitive though. So much has been said about republican vote suppression.

On the silent voters i may be proved wrong on this and if i am then i will hold my hands up straight away.

Democrats want polls left open beyond the time they close. That is not right either.
    If they are down in an area they use local radio to get message out and then the go to courts to keep polls open .

They want to hold them open due to malfunctioning equipment. get a grip.

they/them/theirs

Look at which state?

Apologies Brian - was speed reading the posts between you and price 690 and I thought you had said Trump will take NV based on 538 - will read more slowly in future...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,343 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would gladly keep polls open for a week. Doesn't offend me that more people I disagree with would vote. Everyone should get the chance to vote.

Apologies Brian - was speed reading the posts between you and price 690 and I thought you had said Trump will take NV based on 538 - will read more slowly in future...

No worries.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

B-b-but it's stealing the election for Crooked HillaREEEEEEEEE!

Let's just ignore any instance of the same being done in a pro-Trump precinct...

They need an excuse . Is here malfunctioning equipment , who knows.
    Can't just come up with excuses, if it's broken it's broken. Time won't fix that.
    Leaving polls open for people to use faulty equipment is no use.

Overheal wrote: »
    I would gladly keep polls open for a week. Doesn't offend me that more people I disagree with would vote. Everyone should get the chance to vote.

And between 2 threads and near 17k post this is the closest any post gets to being bang on the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Can't just come up with excuses, if it's broken it's broken. Time won't fix that.

Equipment can be fixed or replaced. They have people dotted around to respond to these situations.

Really how do you not see that counterargument coming.

Overheal wrote: »

I agree. But it's funny that it's in a location that Hillary is losing that they want polls left open. It's funny they are on local radio in same area telling Hillary supports to get down to vote, that they will keep polls open for them.
    Coincidence that all that is happening in place they are down and it's same place with ''faulty equipment ''

Christy42 wrote: »
    Equipment can be fixed or replaced. They have people dotted around to respond to these situations.

As long as it's fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Feminist being asked on Vincent Brown if a woman being elected president would make much of a difference to your cause.

'Not really', was the reply.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Leave was 5/1 on referendum night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Christy42 wrote: »

Plus, with 10 machines you get a certain throughput, with only 8 working machines throughput is reduced, hence later opening to allow everyone to vote.

You're talking through your hat. The machines shut down so they switched to paper ballots. Slowed things down a bit. Let the people vote and stop cribbing.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Based on what?

NPR were reporting Trump's team had privately more or less conceded Nevada.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There was supposed to be a Bradley effect (think that is the name!) against Obama in 08 and it never really happened.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mod:
    There are 2 live threads going for election night, best we keep the election night talk to those 2. No point having the same discussion going in 3 threads!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement