Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 U.S. Presidential Race Megathread Mark 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ladbrokes just gone 1/2 Trump, 6/4 Clinton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I don't like this episode of Black Mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Getting worried yet?! I really support neither but love election result watching.

Why would I get worried!! Both are very flawed candidates. Where have I conveyed any preference. I am still confidence Clinton will get over the line though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gap in Florida closing . Down to 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mitt Romney feeling sick right now, and like his 47% out of touch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nabber wrote: »
    The Hitler comparison... It belittles the suffering that people suffered under his reign.

Go back to sleep

Maybe. But Trump is an admitted sexual abuser, runs on a platform that is not just openly but proudly xenophobic, has a vice evident who endorses gay conversion therapy, and looks set to win not on any economic or actual policy, but on a foundation of insults and "charisma".

Trump openly wants a dictatorship, and it looks like the American population are happy to give it to him. Can't be trusted with his own Twitter account but about to be given the nuclear codes. As I said, deep sadness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

NYT started at 75% for Hillary to win, now 66% for Trump. This is scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Americans seen that guy on the telly and they though they would vote for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A super-rich sociopath who has been a friend to the establishment all his life, and who refuses to publish his tax returns, has managed to convince millions of downtrodden Americans that he is the person they need to make society fairer and more accountable. Frightening.

• Advertisement

Virginia back down to 50k votes

Popular vote:

Trump 49%
    Clinton 47%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Why would I get worried!! Both are very flawed candidates. Where have I conveyed any preference. I am still confidence Clinton will get over the line though

Sorry thought you are in the Clinton camp. I couldn't see Clinton losing 2 hours ago but now Trump has a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

RobertKK wrote: »
    Trump has shown great political awareness, the way he won the nomination, then campaigning in states that people thought were safe Democrat, like in places like Michigan.
    If he was a bit smarter in his attitude towards hispanics (he could have been strong on immigration without insulting hispanics) that could have been the difference for him to win (not saying the majority would have voted for him, but maybe enough to have swung some of the closer swing states).
    The sexual assault stuff obviously hit him hard as well. I can't believe how close some of these states are. One less scandal may have been enough to make the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

lol @ all the "scared" comments. Very silly, President Trump will be wonderful, don't worry :)

CNN breaking news that I broke a while ago about the Dow futures being down 500 points

• Advertisement

8/1 Trump this morning!! It really is Brexit Mk II isn't it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

5/6 each of two with Ladbrokes.

Trump favourite on Paddy Power now. I put a few quid on him as I had money on him at 5/1 back in February but cashed out for a 40% loss right after the Access Hollywood tapes hit. It looked impossible for him to win at that point but the FBI changed all that in the final 10 days and now he looks like he could pull it off

Trump leading in New Hampshire now but buy 404 votes.

Nate Silver 538 looking rather poor at this stage.

538 gives Clinton a 71% chance of winning, Silver looking very silly right now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lots of people pointing out that Hillary could just about edge Virgina now, but failing to take into account that she needed to be winning this state big - and her 'firewall' states are under serious threat. Trump is making inroads in states where people wrote him off long ago.

Trump said the polls were wrong
    He said the media were biased
    He's very clever, as the so called experts are way off so far .

CNN breaking news that I broke a while ago about the Dow futures being down 500 points

Yeah the markets will be very jittery. Looks like polling in elections find it very hard to get accurate figures even in exit polls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Lotta people cast a cheeky Trump vote!

Amazingfun wrote: »
    lol @ all the "scared" comments. Very silly, President Trump will be wonderful, don't worry :)

They weren't scared of a neocon warmonger that is Hillary Clinton, some people are blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Asian markets in flux too as will the European too in the morning regardless of who wins this its just economics at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

If he was a bit smarter in his attitude towards hispanics (he could have been strong on immigration without insulting hispanics) that could have been the difference for him to win (not saying the majority would have voted for him, but maybe enough to have swung some of the closer swing states).
    The sexual assault stuff obviously hit him hard as well. I can't believe how close some of these states are. One less scandal may have been enough to make the difference.

His proposal

Republican presidential nominee proposed a six-week maternity leave policy, as well as tax credits for stay-at-home mothers and other child care credits

That was a slap in the face to women and men :D

hillary-scared-e1457557039563.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    538 gives Clinton a 71% chance of winning, Silver looking very silly right now
    Down to 55% now but it only takes into account states that have been called along with their pre-election map prediction.

Sorry thought you are in the Clinton camp. I couldn't see Clinton losing 2 hours ago but now Trump has a great chance.

I am not in anyone's camp but I am completely anti Trump. But that doesn't necessarily mean I will be celebrating a win for her in anyway. She is not a likeable woman. But she definitely is far more stable. Far more.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

If you're into trading currency buy Pesos.

@Peoples_Pundit 3m3 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Broward County finally released and it doesn't look like it's enough to stop @realDonaldTrump in Florida. #ElectionNight

• Advertisement

Trump is only in this for his ego. If he wins it will be his running mate Pence in control of everything imo: a guy who is sceptical about evolution, and thinks climate change is a hoax, and who knows what else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Florida all but done now 99.2% done and he is 140K ahead

New York Times now 77% Trump to win.

8/1 Trump this morning!! It really is Brexit Mk II isn't it!

If you thought Hillary was good value at Evens a while ago, you'll love the 11/4 that's now available....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No it's not. Everything that's happening in the swing states is within the margin of error for the polls.

How many times does need to be explained.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They weren't scared of a neocon warmonger that is Hillary Clinton, some people are blind

Hillary is a horrible candidate, and anyone but Trump, I could understand.

But she's a career politician and would have been safer for women, gays and foreigners. Trump is just a horrific man when it comes to his blatant disrespect for so many groups. It's going to set women's rights, gay rights, ethnic rights back so, so many decades. this was the anti-choice, racist, sexist option.

And again, Trump isn't allowed his own Twitter account, and can't stop complaining about a late night comedy show taking the piss out of him. Skin is waiver thin and if you think he won't "jokingly" look to start censoring anti-Trump media and shows in the next few weeks.... But Hillary is the warmonger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

NBC talking about rural voters feeling ignored. All for personal responsibility while wanting the government to help them.

Well you reap what you sow! I genuinely am baffled at this!! People will say in hindsight "I called it". But there was no rationale to this sort of response.

Great tv, but frightening also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

Brian? wrote: »
    No it's not. Everything that's happening in the swing states is within the margin of error for the polls.

People still think Brexit polls were wrong. There is no convincing some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seeing as a few states have been close so far could recounts be requested or is that gone due to the Florida 2000 debacle?

How can you say that when polls yesterday had a 86% plus chance of Clinton to win.
    Those polls are wrong or people polled lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Well you reap what you sow! I genuinely am baffled at this!! People will say in hindsight "I called it". But there was no rationale to this sort of response.

Great tv, but frightening also!

I fear the Americans will get more than they have bargained for with Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I had mentioned the latent Trump vote earlier.

So is it MOE/Bradley effect? My money is on a combination of both

BBC's Emily Maitliss:
    99% of votes in in Florida and trump is 2 points ahead. Not won yet - but That's a bigger gap than Obama won it with last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

How can you say that when polls yesterday had a 86% plus chance of Clinton to win.

A: they had Hillary below 70% as their final prediction.
    B: 14 > 0.

• Advertisement

If you thought Hillary was good value at Evens a while ago, you'll love the 11/4 that's now available....

Not really, the 11/4 is a fair reflection of the fact she is now unlikely to come up. So no value at all. I wouldnt even take 10/1/ Everything has changed the last 20 minutes since results are flying in. At the time I wrote that post, I would still have had HC as favourite personally. Can go only by facts in front of me

Andrew Neil saying pretty much the same thing now on BBC.

CNN CAN'T SAY IT
    But Trump has Florida in next 15 mins

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hillary is a horrible candidate, and anyone but Trump, I could understand.

But she's a career politician and would have been safer for women, gays and foreigners. Trump is just a horrific man ...... But Hillary is the warmonger?

No she is not safer for anyone.
    He is anything but "horrific"--he is a beautiful person much maligned by a vicious media, which is why so many people believe these lies.
    And Hillary IS a warmonger. Trump wants peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

What a disaster, we're ending up with a racist sexual predator as president

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement